Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > Introducing Brewtoad

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2012, 02:01 PM   #11
Matterpro
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Agree with everyone else, the UI is pretty slick. The fermentables are a bit hard to navigate since some are listed by standard generic namess and some are listed by brand first like Chateau Munich, instead of Munich (Chateau). This throws me off a bit since I think alphabetically by the type of grain and then expect to see variations in parentheses after it... but it's nothing I can't wrap my slow brain around. I'll be playing around with it more over christmas, it looks like it could turn into something super snappy. Love the

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2012, 02:29 AM   #12
uberg33k
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Is there any chance your "smartphone and tablet" support could include some kind of button to push to start making the recipe? Once pressed, it would start walking you through the recipe like...

• Heat HLT to ___F (click ok to continue)
  • Add ____ from your grain bill (click ok to start mash timer)
  • 60 minute mash timer countdown. alarm sounds at 0:00
  • Add ___gal of ___F water to sparge (click ok to continue)
All the way through the recipe. This would make it infinitely more useful. Thanks!

Old 05-15-2013, 01:14 AM   #13
danorocks17
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Hi Kyle,

I am a Hopsville user, and have been for quite a while. I have played around with BrewToad and I like the interface, it seems very easy to use. However I hope the mash water calc comes back, that was a critical feature for me and many who use Beer Calculus.

"blessing of your heart, you brew a good ale"

Old 05-16-2013, 04:23 PM   #14
iversenbeer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

LOL, I went looking for brewtoad support here as well hoping for the exact same thing. I was going to make a recipe and noticed that it didn't have that. I also noticed that you can't just enter the FG for your brew, you have to play around with the attenuation slider to adjust the FG. It looks really cool, however I'm just considering buying beersmith now since I don't want to go through another recipe transition like this one. A bunch of my recipes were changed when they were imported from hopville because brewtoads ingredient list was incomplete. For example all recipes that used Pacific Jade hops had Pacific Jade switched to Pacific Gem, Hallertauer Hersbrucker was changed to Hallertauer Aroma etc. I want to like brewtoad and I'm hoping that these are just hiccups associated with a massive database transition.

Old 05-22-2013, 12:44 PM   #15
bobmcstuff
Recipes 

Liked 278 Times on 185 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I want them to bring back the feature from Hopville where you input actual OGs/FGs and it tells you your efficiencies...

But overall, it seems like a reasonably decent piece of software. The interface on my phone seems much better.

Old 05-23-2013, 02:07 PM   #16
Big_Belgian
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Another Hopville import who agrees with the prior comments - I really like this brewing software, but miss the feature that allowed me to compare calculated gravities to actual, measured OG and FG. Also kind of miss a print format option, as I would print my recipes to take to the homebrew store and to use on brewday, although that's a pretty minor comment. Overall, I really like the interface and the look of this software.

Old 05-23-2013, 02:12 PM   #17
grasshopperfirestarter
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I can't figure out how to change a previous brew date on a recipe after I made changes to the recipe and brewed again. Not a biggie but kinda buggin me.

"I'd Tap That!"
HaPpY yEaSt HaPpY fEaSt

=BEARDEN BREWERY=

Old 05-23-2013, 02:42 PM   #18
Big_Belgian
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopperfirestarter View Post
I can't figure out how to change a previous brew date on a recipe after I made changes to the recipe and brewed again. Not a biggie but kinda buggin me.
Yeah, this is something that I also noted (I think my problem is the same as yours anyway) -- I brew a pale ale every year, but sometimes tweak it a bit, and like to save my notes, numbers, etc. for each brewday. On Hopville, I could just open that recipe (say, Pale Ale 2012) and re-save it with some tweaks as "Pale Ale 2013". The 2012 would still be there. I can't figure out how to do that on Brewtoad. It seems likely you just have to re-enter the whole recipe.

BB

Old 05-23-2013, 06:37 PM   #19
grasshopperfirestarter
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 39

As of 5 minutes ago you can change to brew date and some of the water specs.

"I'd Tap That!"
HaPpY yEaSt HaPpY fEaSt

=BEARDEN BREWERY=

Old 05-28-2013, 03:12 PM   #20
johngaltsmotor
Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 24

It appears that all of the process specs from hopville are gone now though. Hopville would provide the quantity and temperature of your mash water additions as well as sparges. This was one of the major reasons I used Hopville and brewtoad got rid of that when they took over the show.
Am I missing something here or did they buy up Hopville and then remove the features that made it successful?

Quick Reply