My name is Kyle. I'm a software engineer and homebrewer from Minneapolis, Minnesota. About six months ago, in an effort learn more about the science of brewing, I started writing a simple beer recipe editor. Once I had something that worked, I started showing a few friends at work...
Fast forward a few months. My current employer, Ackmann & Dickenson, has thrown some of its best resources at the project, and we've managed to turn my simple web application into something I'm hugely proud of.
Seeing as I learned almost everything I know about brewing from lurking on the forums here on homebrewtalk, I thought it was only fitting that I give something back.
So, in honor of National Homebrew Day and our friends at Homebrewtalk, we'd like to announce the beta release of Brewtoad, and invite everyone to hop in and let us know what they think.
Here's what we're offering for our beta release:
- Interactive recipe editor with realtime calculation and graphical display of OG, FG, IBU, ABV, color, and balance.
- BJCP styles are fully integrated. See how closely your recipe conforms to its style while you work on it.
- Advanced recipe search. Filter by ingredients, properties, style, and more.
- BeerXML import with support for multiple recipes in one file (export coming soon). Upload your entire library in one shot.
- Support for custom fermentables, hops, and yeasts.
- Facebook login integration.
- Comment on recipes or share on Facebook and Twitter.
- An intelligent ranking algorithm which takes into account how many people have saved a recipe, commented on it, its age, and more.
- Modern, responsive UI built with HTML5 and CSS3. Support for smartphones and tablets. Chrome frame support for old versions of IE.
The Brewtoad dev team is tiny (I write the code, Chris does the UI), and we're as passionate about homebrewing as we are about creating great software.
So, we're here and we want to know what you think. Request features, report bugs. Tell us what you love, and what you're not crazy about.
P.S., We've got a booth at the AHA conference this year, so stop by and say hi!