The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > im an idiot...can somebody explain beersmith or where to find good tutorial?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2012, 02:39 PM   #1
beerhound28
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default im an idiot...can somebody explain beersmith or where to find good tutorial?

Hello
I just bought beersmith and sadly i dont know what im doing..alot of stuff is confusing..Is there a tutorial for dummies out there?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2012, 02:45 PM   #2
boo boo
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Have you looked here http://www.beersmith.com/support/

How do you BBQ an elephant....first you get your elephant....

Old 03-27-2012, 02:45 PM   #3
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1900 Times on 1371 Posts
Likes Given: 1045

Sadly a lot of it IS confusing. Don't feel alone. I still find the equipment setup to be confusing.

There is some help right on the Beersmith website. I think they have tutorials and I know there are forums, although getting questions answered is somewhat hit or miss.

There are many people on this site who can answer basic questions as well I think.

The newer version has a couple of nice features, but IMO is a little more difficult to understand as far as the UI goes. In essence the procedure is as follows:

Set up your equipment profile (mash tun, boil kettle, etc.)
choose a new recipe
select the style
Start entering ingredients
read the bars underneath to see how the recipe matches the style guidelines

If you have your equipment set up properly you should get a brewsheet that tells how much water to use, etc.

Also, Beersmith is NOT a replacement for knowing how to brew. It's simply a calculator tool and shortcut device. It would be somewhat difficult to understand if you don't already know the terms and methods of brewing.

Old 03-27-2012, 02:59 PM   #4
beerhound28
Recipes 

So in the equipment setup,how do i figure out mash tun specific heat,lauter tun dead space,brewhouse efficiency,boil off,cooling shrinkage etc? Im using a 10 gallon igloo round cooler with water supply braid ,9 gallon brew pot..how am i supposed to know evaporation rates..should i boil 5 gallons of water for an hour and calculate how much i lose in a hour? anyway thanks

Old 03-27-2012, 03:00 PM   #5
PistolsAtDawn
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 129

You really are not alone. I still get cross-eyed when trying to get certain things done in BeerSmith, and I've been using it for a while. I had a hard time setting up evaporation rates, for example. The equipment setup is not intuitive either as Homercidal mentioned.

But it's still a very powerful and robust piece of code, despite its UI shortcomings.

For evaporation rates, Ray Daniels (in his book Designing Great Beers) recommends using 5% per hour as your base number unless you want to do as you said and perform your own experiment (big breweries cite this as their figure).

Old 03-27-2012, 03:15 PM   #6
beerhound28
Recipes 

Thanks everyone ..im assuming that this software will take some practice and intuition.but once i get the equiptment setup proper things will start to come together..thanks again yall

Old 03-27-2012, 03:18 PM   #7
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1900 Times on 1371 Posts
Likes Given: 1045

Yes, some things you will have to enter as you find out what they are for YOUR system. Such as evap rate (may vary some depending on season) and your personal efficiency, etc. Take informed estimates and adjust from there.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:41 PM   #8
mcl
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I am fairly new to BeerSmith as well. I took the Pot and Cooler presets and worked from there. I would estimate your boil off at 1 gallon/hour. The tun deadspace is easy to measure(fill with water and drain then measure how much is left in the tun). The thing is you have keep adjusting your profiles for the first few batches before you get it right.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:54 PM   #9
beerhound28
Recipes 

awesome thanks alot..cheers

Old 03-27-2012, 07:58 PM   #10
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

No, you're not an idiot, or no more than the rest of us. It's a great program, but it's confusing at times, and I think the help/support forum can be just as frustrating.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply