Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > IBU differences on web based calculators

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2010, 01:39 AM   #1
Patirck
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default IBU differences on web based calculators

I started brewing several months ago and just made batch #6 (Karmeleit klone). My first two batches were extracts following a pretty well set forth recipe. I then switched to all grain and taking recipes off the web and butchering them for my own effect. I found beer calculus and I like it a lot (see my recipes under patrickmathews). I was looking around for some other mash calculators and decided to put my hop bill in rooftrop brew IBU calculator - here are the results for both.

Hop bill:

2 oz Tettnanger 60 min pellet 4.5 AA
.5 oz Saas 5 min leaf 3.5 AA

beer calculus - 29.4
Rooftop Brew - 38.3

Any idea why such a discrepency? Any idea which is closer to reality? 29 was at the upper end for what I was trying for with this beer. If I end up at 38 - well it won't taste like Karmeleit.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2010, 03:27 AM   #2
slowbie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

They use two different equations for calculating IBUs, so the results are going to be different. If you've consistently used a certain equation before, use that one. Otherwise, you're probably best off using the beer calculus numbers because the Tinseth equation on beer calculus is the equation most people use.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply