LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2013, 11:16 AM   #31
FlyDoctor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Yep - that's the one. The transfer instructions mention trouble connecting to DB from iBM1 - but like you I had no trouble in that step.

Of anyone has a workaround for this please post

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2013, 12:33 PM   #32
Ragtop232
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerCribben View Post
I bought iBrewmaster a few years ago and have loved it ever since. This guy has CONSTANTLY offered upgrades, fixes and updates for free and is now, finally doing a complete rewrite and is charging for the new program.
I don't have a problem with supporting this guy. What I do have a problem with is misleading his existing customers. I'll post his explanation for charging so much for the upgrade pricing to his loyal customers:

From his Facebook wall:
Quote:
While the overall support is quite amazing, we do realize that some users have not received the past 4 years worth of updates free, and wanted to take a brief moment to explain our dilemma with releasing iBrewMaster 2. Unfortunately, Apple does not provide us with any discounting options for previous users, nor do they offer any "maintenance" programs as we've suggested numerous times. (Provide developers a way to charge a small yearly maintenance fee for users to get continued updates, while allowing those who decline to continue to use the app in it's last version under maintenance.) Their pricing is simple…one price for everyone!
This is absolutely not the case. I just recently updated an app I purchased from the iOS appstore. The AppStore does have existing user/upgrading pricing as they know if you have purchased an app before. I recently upgraded BeerAlchemy, a $19.99 app for $4.99 as upgrade pricing. I really don't have an issue with $18, its only a couple six packs, but I do have an issue with the way he's going about defusing the backlash for the higher than normal upgrade price for existing customers.

If he would've just came out and said, "Hey, I've rewritten the software from the ground up and need to charge $XX for the product", fine, but this explanation is clearly false and misleading. Ultimately the market will decide his fate, but I for one will not support a deceitful developer. I have removed his apps from all my iOS devices.

Old 05-12-2013, 01:12 PM   #33
DerCribben
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 29

What he seems to be saying to me is "You've been getting free updates and upgrades for four years and it shouldn't be that big a deal that unfortunately I have to charge for this level of program revamp (it is a business afterall). And sadly, if you just bought the program within the past year you probably didn't notice all those free upgrades but Apple doesn't let me charge you a different price than someone else based off of when you purchased"

Nobody here knows what it might have taken to overhaul the program to make it function properly with all of the upgrades people were asking for. It's not always as easy as just hanging as many new features as you feel like off of an existing framework. Nobody also knows what hoops Apple is making them jump through or what communication they have had.

I bought the original program, and all the recipe packs (which are all free in the new program) and now I have bought iBm2. I'm happy to support them and expect all of the upgrades over the next few years will be just as free as in the original program.

Old 05-12-2013, 01:57 PM   #34
Ragtop232
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I also read into the above quote that he would really like to make this a subscription type software license where you pay so much per year to use his software.

DerCribben, you are obviously fine with his pricing structure and business model. On the other hand, I am not. Like I said above, ultimately the market will decide his fate.

Cheers

Old 05-12-2013, 11:39 PM   #35
alestateyall
Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I think part of the problem is the price doubled with no warning. We were looking forward to iBM2 and a discount for owning iBM1. We didn't expect that discount to be 2X what we paid for iBM1. I paid $9.99. A lot of people got onboard earlier and paid even less.

In regards to paying what software is worth I get that. I have developed software professionally and software development is an expensive endeavor.

One thing to remember is iBrewmaster has competition. Beersmith is a similar operation, ie. a solo programmer trying to make a living. I bought Beersmith Mobile. Why? Brad Smith, the Beersmith developer, does a lot for homebrewers. In addition to the software he has a blog with very good brewing info, a forum, and a pod cast. I am sure he does all these for marketing reasons but they are quality offerings.

The iBrewmaster developer just does software.

Don't get me wrong iBM1 was a great product. But, I prefer to pay $7.99 to a developer who does way more than $18.99 for iBM2 to a guy who just does software.

Old 05-12-2013, 11:59 PM   #36
oneandahalfshepherds
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 24 Posts

I paid 7.99 for IBM1

"Now is the time to think of only one thing, that which I was born for" EH

Old 05-13-2013, 12:13 AM   #37
RosyBrew
Recipes 

I was a bit thrown on someone getting a discount on Beer Alchemy. I didn't think Apple did what someone else said with discounts. I just looked up Beer Alchemy's history, and it looks like it was $4.99 for a short time but that it was thier regular price....

http://appshopper.com/food-drink/beeralchemy-touch-2

Shows it was $4.99 until 2/1/13, then it went to $9.99...then on 3/13/13 it went to $19.99! doubled their price twice!

Old 05-13-2013, 02:20 AM   #38
Ragtop232
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

If you had BeerAlchemy installed already, you were prompted that an upgrade was available and you could purchase for 4.99. I don't know how it was done, however, this is an example of how to treat existing customers with an upgrade policy. I actually own all three major mobile apps for brewing and try to support their development but never again for iBrewMaster.

Old 05-13-2013, 11:06 AM   #39
Ragtop232
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Below are the receipts to show pricing structure from BeerAlchemy v1 to v2 with dates:

receipt1.jpg   receipt2.jpg  

Old 05-13-2013, 05:37 PM   #40
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 189

I dove in and bought iBrewmaster 2, below are my thoughts:

• It's really glitchy and crashes a lot, in fact the first time I opened it on my iPad and on my iPhone it crashed on both
  • There needs to be a seemless way to keep the apps on different platforms in sync (iPad and iPhone)
  • Importing your recipes/batches/DB from iBrewmaster 1 is a joke - you need to make sure your batch sizes are correct and you will HAVE to update your mash profile FOR EACH RECIPE AND BATCH, completely unacceptable as I have way too many old batches to go back in and update when those beers are long gone. I will not be doing this, which means iBrewmaster 1 will forever live on my devices in addition to iBrewmaster 2
  • This app is pretty much unusable for a brew day at the moment. Every time I try to add 0.5 lb Crystal 40L to a recipe it adds the grain correctly but lists the measurement as 8 oz. Cannot figure out away around this
  • Login with Facebook creates an endless loop of login/confirm screens
  • Many screens and options were not thoroughly tested - there are apparent glitches, options and settings that don't function properly
  • Dropbox integration is very glitchy at the moment
  • Seriously, water additions can ONLY be shown in quarts still? WTF
  • They tried to remove those number roller selector things but I don't know that the replacement is any better - I always end up at the second or third decimal and have to backspace through the values. It should just disappear when you jump to the input field
  • Weird keyboard actions on several occasions which make it difficult to see what you are typing because the field is hidden by the keyboard
  • Should have a way to disable "Fullscreen mode" - I need my clock/time at the top!
  • There doesn't appear to be an easy way to provide feedback to the developer/crash reports
  • There needs to be a place where notifications live, the flash screens and pop-ups are really, really horrible
  • Why are the icons at the top of the batch/recipe screens still there? There should be one button within the recipe/batch that gives you access to those features

Bottom line: Save your money for now. At $18 I feel like I've "been had" for the quality of what was delivered.

The developer needs to hire or work with better beta testers - in only a few short minutes with the app I've been able to identify an unacceptable amount of defects. I work in software and tech development and if I was overseeing this project I would have listed the apparent defects and sent this back to the development team to check their work

Quick Reply