New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > iBrewmaster2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2013, 10:17 PM   #21
alestateyall
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclonite
I'm having a hard time with the price as well. I've already purchased IBM1 twice - once on the iPod/iPhone and another on the iPad (since IBM1 is not universal). Now, another $18 to get a few new features over IBM1??? A bit hard to swallow, but I do use it all the time. Seriously considering switching over to BeerSmith2 + Mobile app - the previous lack of a mobile app was all that kept me from BeerSmith in the first place. At least then I have access both on my iPad and PC, and BeerSmith is still more feature rich. However, all of my recipes are in IBM1. Argh.

It's funny, if it was ~ $10-$12 I don't think I would hesitate, but I have some weird mental block with $18. That's like 1 La Fin du Monde bomber!
I bought Beersmith Mobile. There are several features in iBM not in Beersmith.

1. Inventory
2. Calendar + Notifications
3. Efficiency calculation. I can't find it anyway

In regards to your recipes, if you bought the PC version you could export them as XML and then import them to Beersmith.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2013, 10:34 PM   #22
oneandahalfshepherds
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts

I think you can export xml in mobile version as well

"Now is the time to think of only one thing, that which I was born for" EH

Old 05-12-2013, 02:02 AM   #23
HopRodGR
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have iBM and really like it. There are some promising new features in iBM2 that intrigue me, but I'm not ready to buy it for $18 only to find they don't live up to what I'd hoped, since there is no way to really test it out without diving in head first and just buying it. I'm happy with iBM 1 right now, so it comes down to whether the new features in iBM2 are really worth $18. If they are smart, they will put out some more info (like screenshots or a tutorial video) on how these new features work. Until then, I don't think I'm sold on that expensive of an upgrade. The whole program is probably worth that price, but not if you already own iBM1 and are really just paying for added features.

Old 05-12-2013, 03:07 AM   #24
Hawkeye11
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Just posted this to the iBrewmaster iPhone thread, posting here as it is more relevant to this iBrewmaster 2 thread.

At first glance, I though $17 was a bit expensive. I went ahead and upgraded and bought v2. I am very impressed. After using version 1, Beersmith lite, and Beersmith full on the iPad, iBrewmaster2 is by far the best. I don't remember how much v1 was, but the recipe packs were $8 alone. Now there are 600 included. There are a couple of bugs which caused the program to exit, but these seem minor. The profiles, batch tracking, inventory tracking, and recipe editing are all first class. This is much easier to use than Beersmith full on the iPad which was also released in the past week.

The only aspect of Beersmith I like better are the references and Beersmith Cloud. IBrewmaster can save to your own DropBox account, but not interact with thousands of others like Beersmith cloud.

For now IBrewmaster2 will be my main app, moving recipes from Beersmith now.

I know what it takes to develop apps and deal with Apple. Personally I think this should be a $10 to $15 app, but I am satisfied with what I received paying $18. In app purchases to upgrade to a new version through Apple are very complicated because of Apple.

Hopefully they will continue to improve their cloud recipe sharing feature. It would probably be too much to ask to integrate Beersmith cloud. Overall highly recommended if you want to use your iPad or iPhone as your primary brewing computer.

Old 05-12-2013, 03:39 AM   #25
alestateyall
Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye11
Just posted this to the iBrewmaster iPhone thread, posting here as it is more relevant to this iBrewmaster 2 thread.

At first glance, I though $17 was a bit expensive. I went ahead and upgraded and bought v2. I am very impressed. After using version 1, Beersmith lite, and Beersmith full on the iPad, iBrewmaster2 is by far the best. I don't remember how much v1 was, but the recipe packs were $8 alone. Now there are 600 included. There are a couple of bugs which caused the program to exit, but these seem minor. The profiles, batch tracking, inventory tracking, and recipe editing are all first class. This is much easier to use than Beersmith full on the iPad which was also released in the past week.

The only aspect of Beersmith I like better are the references and Beersmith Cloud. IBrewmaster can save to your own DropBox account, but not interact with thousands of others like Beersmith cloud.

For now IBrewmaster2 will be my main app, moving recipes from Beersmith now.

I know what it takes to develop apps and deal with Apple. Personally I think this should be a $10 to $15 app, but I am satisfied with what I received paying $18. In app purchases to upgrade to a new version through Apple are very complicated because of Apple.

Hopefully they will continue to improve their cloud recipe sharing feature. It would probably be too much to ask to integrate Beersmith cloud. Overall highly recommended if you want to use your iPad or iPhone as your primary brewing computer.
I am curious how different iBM2 is from iBM. It looks like the same app with new calculators. Is that the case or do the old features actually work better some how?

Old 05-12-2013, 03:58 AM   #26
Hawkeye11
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alestateyall

I am curious how different iBM2 is from iBM. It looks like the same app with new calculators. Is that the case or do the old features actually work better some how?
Honestly, I really only used iBrewmaster one to look at recipe ideas. IBrewmaster2' UI has definitely been updated and improved. Profiles seem much enhanced, and efficiency calculation. There are far more base recipes in this version.

I would have to go back thought the first version to really see how it was improved, but after a day using version 2 I am really impressed. Plan to use this exclusively in my brew of an Bells Two Hearted tomorrow. Just entered my recipe from Beersmith n

Old 05-12-2013, 05:05 AM   #27
Ragtop232
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Well, I thought we were getting some kind of break on the price. As stated, special discount pricing for existing users, only $17.99. He also states in his blog that he would've considered lower pricing for existing users but the appstore structure won't allow that. First, that is total hogwash. I just updated BeerAlchemy from v1 to v2 for $4.99 via the iOS appstore. Secondly, about the special introductory pricing, his statements got me to thinking about what did I originally pay for the app back in December, 2012. I found the receipt, it was $14.99. Hmm, something isn't adding up here.

However, it's everyone's right to charge what the market will support. It's also everyone's right to either purchase or not. I, for one, will not be supporting iBrewMaster.

Old 05-12-2013, 10:57 AM   #28
FlyDoctor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Anybody getting an error when trying to link iBM2 with Dropbox? I'm getting a message that says something to the effect that only a few users can connect to Dropbox while in development mode

Old 05-12-2013, 11:03 AM   #29
DerCribben
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I bought iBrewmaster a few years ago and have loved it ever since. This guy has CONSTANTLY offered upgrades, fixes and updates for free and is now, finally doing a complete rewrite and is charging for the new program. I have an astronomy app that I paid $40 for and honestly I don't think $36 for a program like iBrewmaster is that much of a stretch.

I just bought my copy and am stoked to use it. I'm also happy to throw a few bucks at the guy who created it to help support the business he's running. Man, I'd buy a t-shirt if he was selling one for $20...Thanks iBrewmaster guy! You rock!

Old 05-12-2013, 11:07 AM   #30
DerCribben
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyDoctor
Anybody getting an error when trying to link iBM2 with Dropbox? I'm getting a message that says something to the effect that only a few users can connect to Dropbox while in development mode
I am also "Only a limited amount of users can receive access tokens while this app is in development mode"

iBrewmaster 1 connected with no problem, let me set up my account, and save my DB. iBm2 gives me that error when I try to link it to Dropbox.

Quick Reply