Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > iBrewmaster vs. Beersmith2

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2012, 12:26 AM   #1
Southern_Junior
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default iBrewmaster vs. Beersmith2

Let me start by saying I am an avid apple person. Probably a fanboy... Actually no doubt a raging FANBOY. There, I said it.

I have multiple laptops and and other devices. So i am more inclined to lean towards iBrewmaster, but I won't if Beersmith2 is that much better. Please make the case for me. Thanks yall.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2012, 12:34 AM   #2
thorongil
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Beersmith2 is a Windows app, plain and simple. It's directly ported to Mac but looks and runs like Windows. This alone made me shy away from it, despite it's power. I have not used iBrewmaster, and I've found that BeerAlchemy is the most "macish" of them all and does most of what I want it to...

“Altogether 1420 in the Shire was a marvelous year... The Northfarthing barley was so fine that the beer of 1420 malt was long remembered and became a byword. Indeed a generation later one might hear an old gaffer in an inn, after a good pint of well-earned ale, put down his mug with a sigh: ‘Ah! that was a proper fourteen-twenty, that was!’”

- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Return of the King

Old 09-06-2012, 12:36 AM   #3
NervousDad
BFM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 172 Times on 116 Posts
Likes Given: 203

I have both and I prefer beersmith. Beersmith has a cloud option to access your recipes on multiple devices. The only down side is no iPad support. I brewmaster is very cluttered IMO.

Old 09-06-2012, 12:53 AM   #4
Southern_Junior
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

Can you tell me why you prefer it? My LHBS claims by beer smith, but they will tell you it's because they don't have macs. Is it worth the ****ty interface.

Old 09-06-2012, 01:48 AM   #5
GRBC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 15 Posts

I have both and prefer the convenience of having iBrewmaster on my iPad over the somewhat richer feature set of beer smith. iBrewmaster is less expensive too.

Old 09-06-2012, 03:31 PM   #6
SteveMillerTime
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I use beersmith on my macbook pro...I've looked into BeerAlchemy and iBrewmaster but it just looks so cluttered - there's practically no UI there, just lists.

Personally, I don't have a real need for using these programs on my mobile device (except for a shopping list - which i throw in my dropbox and open with BrewAide on my droid), in fact, i prefer not to. I'd rather just print out the recipe and take notes by hand. Beersmith does everything i need and actually looks nice.

Old 09-10-2012, 04:09 AM   #7
blacksquid
Recipes 

Likes Given: 6

Same here. I mostly only run Macs in the house (Hackintosh tower is my main work tool) and went with Beersmith, despite the very ugly and very unintuitive UI. That said, it becomes second nature after a few recipes, really. Tried most of the software available for a few weeks before purchasing and Beersmith did everything I wanted it to do and more. I'm almost starting to like the GUI...

Old 09-10-2012, 04:19 AM   #8
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 679 Times on 576 Posts
Likes Given: 173

I don't know about the programs. I have used Windows forever. It is not the greatest but my experience with Apple has not been that great either. IMO Apple is way to pricey.

In the mid 90's a place I worked for bought all Macs and for what I had to do I needed Windows. Every day I heard from the other rooms "What the F@@# is happening now?". My cheapo PC kept on going.

Maybe it is because I am used to Windows but I always found Apple programs difficult to operate.

Still IMO very much not worth the extra $$$

To the original question. I find Beersmith a very capable tool once you get your info dialed in. I have not used any other software except Beer Calculus online so I can offer no comparison.

Old 09-15-2012, 06:17 AM   #9
omayhemo
Recipes 

Beersmith 2 is great!

Apple is an overpriced, hippie, hype.
Disclaimer, Software Engineer

Old 09-15-2012, 11:20 AM   #10
bighorn_brew
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I have both,, and prefer Beersmith by a wide margin. BS is more powerful, easier to use, and less cluttered. Ibrewmaster has more of a "toy" feel to it, way cluttered, unintuitive and hard to navigate. That being said, I sometimes "sketch out" a quick recipe on it before getting serious and going to BS on my pc. BS has a bigger tool box, and has my mash set up (keggle) as an option, whereas (as far as I can tell) iBM has a generic mash. Plus BS has many more mash choices, sparges, and fermentations, all the yeasts, more hops, and beer styles, and accurate and detailed descriptions of them. When designing a recipe the real time sliding bars are nice to see if your "getting there" whereas I have to do some tapping to bring up the style sheet in iBM, irks me every time.

Quick Reply