Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > iBrewMaster: Mash Profile

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2012, 06:56 AM   #1
DrBubra
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default iBrewMaster: Mash Profile

Hi All,

I'm a super noob to All-Grain & iBrewMaster. Would someone be kind enough to explain how I can set up Mash Profiles in IBM. I'm confused & frustrated. I'd love a simple explanation on how to set it up for a basic batch-sparge mash process using a boil size of 6-7 Gallons, batch size of 5-5.5 gallons, 60 minute boil time & using a generic grain bill weight for an average recipe...whatever seems reasonable for starters. I'm just a little slow. Any help would be soooo appreciated. Thanks all, just trying to understand how it works.

- Dr. B

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2012, 03:24 PM   #2
alestateyall
Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Have you looked at the in app help? Click setup then iBrewMaster Help. There is a chapter on setting up the mash. I think that is the best place to start.

For mashin (the first step) select AutoCall infusion with ratio. Select about 1.5 qt/lb ratio.

For mash out select free form infusion with volume. Add 2 gallons boiling water (212F).

For batch sparge select autocalc and sparge. Set water temp to 170F and time to 5 min.

Old 11-08-2012, 04:40 PM   #3
DrBubra
Recipes 

Thanks kehaar! I think I now have a bit of a better understanding of the mash & sparge process (as related to volumes) after doing more research & reading. Your example helped a lot as well with basic set ups of mash profiles in iBrewMaster. I did what you suggested & read through the help sections of iBM & I'm much more comfortable with it now so thanks again for that guidance! One question I have is on the "Mashout" step you listed. When you say to set up a step for 2 Gal of boiling (212 *F) water, what is the purpose if this addition. I have read that adding boiling water into your grain mash will just extract harsh tannins from the grain. Am I not uderstanding this step in your example here? Are you just using parts of that volume of boiling water to raise temps up to a desired level before running off or are you adding that whole amount to the grain in between the mash & sparge steps? Thanks!

Old 11-09-2012, 01:08 AM   #4
alestateyall
Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBubra
Thanks kehaar! I think I now have a bit of a better understanding of the mash & sparge process (as related to volumes) after doing more research & reading. Your example helped a lot as well with basic set ups of mash profiles in iBrewMaster. I did what you suggested & read through the help sections of iBM & I'm much more comfortable with it now so thanks again for that guidance! One question I have is on the "Mashout" step you listed. When you say to set up a step for 2 Gal of boiling (212 *F) water, what is the purpose if this addition. I have read that adding boiling water into your grain mash will just extract harsh tannins from the grain. Am I not uderstanding this step in your example here? Are you just using parts of that volume of boiling water to raise temps up to a desired level before running off or are you adding that whole amount to the grain in between the mash & sparge steps? Thanks!
The mashout step will raise the temp of the mash to approximately 170F right before you drain the first runnings. That has 2 purposes. First, raising the temp to 170F denatured the enzymes (stops the starch to sugar conversion). Second, raising the temp supposedly helps more sugar run off into your kettle.

Not everyone does a mashout. Many people say denaturing the enzymes is unnecessary when doing a batch sparge. I don't dispute that. I really wouldn't know. I do the mashout out of habit. I have never tried without it.

Pouring 2G boiling water into the mash before draining the first runnings won't cause any tannin extraction. When the two volumes mix the temp of the mash doesn't get over 170F. I have never had astringency problems.

Quick Reply