Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > iBrewMaster: Mash equipment profile question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2013, 05:49 PM   #1
slipperypick
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default iBrewMaster: Mash equipment profile question

On a whim, fed up a bit with Beer Alchemy & wanting to find good alternatives, I bought iBrewMaster from the App Store last night. It looks extremely detailed and on the surface seems like a solid brewing app.
The biggest question I have is if anybody has any default settings for a standard 10 gallon "Home Depot" style beverage cooler mash tun that they have used with success? The Mash/Equipment Profiles that are default in the included AG profiles are detailed, but I have no clue whatsoever as to what they refer to... I'm not so professional as to be able to figure out Grain absorption rates and Mash Tun Volume Loss (not even sure what that is). With Beer Alchemy I at least know the thermal mass of my mash tun, and I seem to be able to nail my numbers every time.
Any help would be appreciated here!
Cheers!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2013, 06:17 PM   #2
boortzie
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I use iBrewMaster and I use a 10 gallon HD round beverage cooler as my MLT.

The AG equipment profile settings are to help you dial in your particular system - grain absorption loss and mash tun volume loss are ways in which the liquid you put into the MLT is not the same as the amount of liquid you get out (i.e., water absorbed by the grain during mashing; the volume of liquid that will reside in the MLT after you drain/sparge - typically the liquid that sits in the area below the ball value and that you cannot drain easily, necessitating it to remain in the MLT as opposed to being drained into the BK).

For example, I know with my system I need to put in about 6.5 gallons into the BK to end up with about 5.5 gallons of post-boil wort, and ultimately right about 5 gallons of fermented beer. The liquid loss is due to (among other factors) grain absorption, MLT dead space, BK dead space, trub loss, etc.

Experimentation and good measurements (volume, gravity, etc.) at all stages of beer marking is the best way I know of to dial in your particular system. If you are too short on batch 1, add more liquid for batch 2. Repeat until you have it set. Then you can back into your particular profile on iBrewMaster.

Old 07-16-2013, 06:33 PM   #3
TheZymurgist
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 211 Times on 160 Posts
Likes Given: 503

10% grain absorption is a good place to start. This means the grain will soak up about 10% of your water. To find out what the Mash Tun Volume Loss is, put a predetermined amount of water into your mash tun, drain it, and measure how much actually drained out. For my 10gal round cooler with a false bottom, I usually leave about half a gallon behind.

I absolutely love this program, it's definitely the best I've been able to find. Shoot them an email, too. They respond really quickly and are eager to help. I had some issues with the new iBM2 program, and they fixed the bugs and worked with me to resolve the problems. Great people!

Old 07-17-2013, 04:59 PM   #4
slipperypick
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Thanks! My latest issue is using the Mash Infusion Calculator; I enter the values into the top five fields of the "Initial Mash Infusion" but I can't get the Volume and Temperature of Strike Water fields to calculate. I've sent them an email but have yet to hear back. Of course, if you have thoughts on this...

Old 07-24-2013, 07:07 AM   #5
rkorn74
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm not quite sure how you are using the mash infusion calculator, but if you are looking for strike water temps for mashing, just select a mash profile in a recipe and type in your variables and it will calculate the temps for you with scary accuracy.

Old 07-25-2013, 04:51 PM   #6
slipperypick
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

That's cool, I just want the calculator to work is all. I get stressed when I can't use parts of the software I paid for.
Thanks!

Old 08-14-2013, 03:54 AM   #7
Pjdes42
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

I understand why you'd want all parts of the software to work for you. Which is the reason why I am in the midst of switching from iBrewMaster (first version) to BeerSmith2. I had issues with the shopping cart crashing and I'll give it to the folks at iBrewMaster they helped figure out the root cause of the issue and assisted me in getting back up and running....without the functionality of the shopping cart function. ....so like I said, I am switching to BeerSmith2.

Quick Reply