Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > iBrewmaster iPad edition
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2011, 03:07 AM   #1
Jtd6628
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 267
Likes Given: 1

Default iBrewmaster iPad edition

Has anyone used iBrewmaster iPad edition. If so let me know your opinion it's only $11 so I was thinking i could buy it sooner than I could beersmith2 for $50.

__________________
Jtd6628 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2011, 12:31 AM   #2
Wingfan13
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Wingfan13's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Austin, TX, Texas
Posts: 338
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtd6628 View Post
Has anyone used iBrewmaster iPad edition. If so let me know your opinion it's only $11 so I was thinking i could buy it sooner than I could beersmith2 for $50.
I have it and I really like it. It comes with a bunch of free recipes too.
__________________
Wingfan13 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2011, 01:14 AM   #3
bartbert
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Flower Mound, TX
Posts: 55
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

I have iBrewMaster and BeerTools Pro. I use them both because they each have their advantages. BTP has much greater capabilities when it comes to all the calculations. It allows you to define your process in greater detail and I have found it's calculations to be pretty damn accurate in terms of temperatures, times, gravity targets, etc.

Even though iBM doesn't have the calculation bells and whistles that BTP has, it does have a nice recipe editor that will do all the basic calculations for you. But it has some other features that really make it useful. First, it runs on an iPad, which means you can have it handy while brewing. It has an awesome set of timers which are tied into your recipe. So if you have additions to make at 60, 45, 15, and 0 minutes, it will sound the alarm at the correct time and tell you what you should be adding.

But the feature I like most about iBM is the batch calendar. Once you get a pipeline going, you will have multiple batches in various stages of the process. The batch calendar will give you a chronological sequence of upcoming events (dry hopping, bottling, etc.). Suppose you have a batch that should have been ready to drink on 8/13 based on your recipe, but when you taste it on that day, you detect some off flavors and decide that it could use another 2 weeks conditioning. You just update the bottling duration for that batch (but not necessarily the recipe) to add two more weeks, and it will notify you in two weeks that it is ready to try again. If you notice that all your batches for that recipe are taking longer to condition, then you might update your recipe so that all future batches will use a longer conditioning time.

__________________
bartbert is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2011, 04:28 AM   #4
triangulum33
Whenever it feels right!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
triangulum33's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: NorCal
Posts: 675
Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartbert View Post
But the feature I like most about iBM is the batch calendar. Once you get a pipeline going, you will have multiple batches in various stages of the process. The batch calendar will give you a chronological sequence of upcoming events (dry hopping, bottling, etc.). Suppose you have a batch that should have been ready to drink on 8/13 based on your recipe, but when you taste it on that day, you detect some off flavors and decide that it could use another 2 weeks conditioning. You just update the bottling duration for that batch (but not necessarily the recipe) to add two more weeks, and it will notify you in two weeks that it is ready to try again. If you notice that all your batches for that recipe are taking longer to condition, then you might update your recipe so that all future batches will use a longer conditioning time.
I agree. Love the ability to track batches and the calendar function.

I sent an email with some suggestions to improve the software, and the creator wrote back that they have an update coming with a bunch of new features.
__________________

“Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.”
― Ernest Hemingway



Meine Keezer
triangulum33 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2011, 07:09 PM   #5
Irrenarzt
HNIC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
 
Irrenarzt's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Half a mile from Tucson
Posts: 1,904
Liked 156 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Default

I may have to try this. I have it for the iPhone but I never thought it was a useful as Brewpal who has no plans to do an iPad app as far as I can tell.

__________________
Irrenarzt is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2011, 08:43 PM   #6
FoundlingOfDollar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 100
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Will it convert recipes back and forth between AG and extract?

__________________
FoundlingOfDollar is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2011, 12:16 PM   #7
snowbeavers
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: KL, Malaysia
Posts: 18
Default

Just downloaded it and LOVE it. I love all the access to recipes. You can create your own and download others for free. Lots of control and data collection

__________________
snowbeavers is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2011, 02:09 PM   #8
suds_zville
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Central, Indiana
Posts: 79
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

I've been using for 9 months or now and really like it. Well worth the price to me. Good recipe creator plus a nice batch manager feature to boot.

__________________
suds_zville is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2011, 12:44 AM   #9
socalboomer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 215
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoundlingOfDollar View Post
Will it convert recipes back and forth between AG and extract?
I don't know about that, but it does scale recipes very nicely - I just moved from 5G to 10G AG and it makes it EASY to go from one to the other. . . just input my 5G recipe and hit scale to 10G (x2) and boom, it's all done. nice.
__________________

On Tap (Nitro): Chocolate Palomino - just kicked! ACK
On Tap 1: empty. . .On Tap 2: empty. . .On Tap 3: Flawed Garnet (black currant saison)
In Secondary:
In Primary:
Next up: Gold Dust Pale Ale

socalboomer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools




Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS