How to convert aau% of hops for Brewsmith

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigken462

Reaction score
I'm sure this has been asked before, and I have the How To Brew book, and have read several threads here, but I am still having a hard time understanding how to do this.

The kits I purchase from my HBS all comes with a recipe and the instructions list that are usually easy to follow, however, I prefer to enter the information into BrewSmith so I can utilize the brew data there that is not offered on the kit instructions and to save for later use if I ever wish to brew it again.

Most of the time, I can transcribe everything in w/o too many hiccups. My main problem is that the bittering hops are always are listed in aau’s instead of weight. I understand the reason for this since the % changes from crop to crop.

I just need to know how to convert the information so that I can enter it into the recipe field. It seems I need to know the Alpha Acid Unit% which the recipe does not include. I can measure the weight of the hops and know that I have X ounces of aau's, but I don't know what to do from that point.

Each time I enter this into Brewsmith, the bittering scale is nowhere close to what is listed on the recipes.

So for instance, if my recipe shows I have 4aau of Warrior, how do I plug this value into the program?

Thanks,

weight x AA% = aau
so
AA%=aau/weight
so weigh the hops divide by the aau to get the AA%
then plug it into the program

Man thanks, I knew it had to be that simple. I feel like a complete idiot seeing now that it's basic algebra, and can't tell ya how many pages I surfed the past cpl days to try to figure that out. I would have bet my paycheck it was some way for the HBS to keep their recipes from being posted.

Thanks again!

Back