Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > Free app vs beersmith

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2013, 04:49 PM   #1
jeff0001
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Free app vs beersmith

So I recently decided to try the free trial of beer smith. In the past I have used the brew pal app on my iPhone with ok success. The problem is that when I add an ounce of warrior into brew pal it gives me 26 ibus. Beer smith gives me a much lower rating. Any ideas why or should I just go with beer smith

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2013, 05:11 PM   #2
Hex23
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 45

There are several different formulas for calculating IBU's (Tinseth, Raeger, etc) and you can even select which one Beersmith uses. Also I think Beersmith is pretty sophisticated about how it calculates IBUs in cases where gravity changes mid-boil (e.g. late extract addition). Don't know much about brew pal. Also, remember that IBU calculations are just estimations subject to error.

Old 06-23-2013, 05:53 PM   #3
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 488 Times on 452 Posts
Likes Given: 213

The two softwares could also be using different AA %'s

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 12-09-2013, 08:04 AM   #4
brewski09
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Check your equipment profile. I noticed this when I was playing around with it for the first time today. If you have the wrong equipment profile, it calculates it as a partial batch with top off water, thereby making it an increased gravity wort with much less extract efficiency. Hope this helps.

Old 12-09-2013, 02:13 PM   #5
BrewCrewKevin
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Also keep in mind that IBUs are just an estimate. In fact, most people can only distinguish in increments of about 5 IBUs.

Old 12-10-2013, 04:10 PM   #6
cjones
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Beer smith takes into calculation boil duration IBU extraction efficiency, I do not use brew pal so I do not know about them.
IBU Extraction Efficiency – they longer you boil the more Bittering units you pull from the hops. A 60 minute boil does not mean a 100% extraction; at most it would be around 35%. Some think if you boil longer you will extract more – hence 90min boils on IPA’s, - I disagree with this as do other people, but some people will have a difference of opinion. I have tried and tasted and the difference I notice with longer boils on the same recipes is higher Alcohol content. I do not notice a dramatic increase of the Bitterness of the beer. (But again I don’t send my beer in to be tested so I can only go by my taste comparison/ I have no scientific proof)
So this may be why they have different results the efficiency may be set different (or as previous post the Alpha Acids may be listed different)- I know that you can adjust beer smiths AA by editing the ingredient.
In the end I do use and like beer smith, but I also use beer alchemy and I am still comparing both of them, I think I am starting to like alchemy better. (Only reason for this is personal preference, I like the print out of Alchemy for my recipes and batches so I can put them nicely in my brew binder.)

Old 12-10-2013, 07:06 PM   #7
brewski09
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjones
Beer smith takes into calculation boil duration IBU extraction efficiency, I do not use brew pal so I do not know about them. IBU Extraction Efficiency – they longer you boil the more Bittering units you pull from the hops. A 60 minute boil does not mean a 100% extraction; at most it would be around 35%. Some think if you boil longer you will extract more – hence 90min boils on IPA’s, - I disagree with this as do other people, but some people will have a difference of opinion. I have tried and tasted and the difference I notice with longer boils on the same recipes is higher Alcohol content. I do not notice a dramatic increase of the Bitterness of the beer. (But again I don’t send my beer in to be tested so I can only go by my taste comparison/ I have no scientific proof) So this may be why they have different results the efficiency may be set different (or as previous post the Alpha Acids may be listed different)- I know that you can adjust beer smiths AA by editing the ingredient. In the end I do use and like beer smith, but I also use beer alchemy and I am still comparing both of them, I think I am starting to like alchemy better. (Only reason for this is personal preference, I like the print out of Alchemy for my recipes and batches so I can put them nicely in my brew binder.)
You wouldn't notice too much of a difference boiling for 90 minutes. The Iso-acid utilization will only be increased a minuscule amount between 60 and 90 minutes. Are you adding more water to the boil ??? You shouldn't have a more concentrated wort if you are. Also, you can print out a brew sheet from beersmith.

Old 12-10-2013, 07:14 PM   #8
cjones
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewski09 View Post
You wouldn't notice too much of a difference boiling for 90 minutes. The Iso-acid utilization will only be increased a minuscule amount between 60 and 90 minutes. Are you adding more water to the boil ??? You shouldn't have a more concentrated wort if you are. Also, you can print out a brew sheet from beersmith.
I agree on the Iso acid utilization, that is why I said I disagree with longer boils adding more bitterness - no I did not add more water to the boil, I compared the exact same recipe just longer boil - so yes it did concentrate the wort - I also know you can print the brew sheet from beer smith, I just like Alchemy’s print out better - I can added pictures of the brew day.

Fermenting:Blond Ale & Amber Ale
Lagering:Black Lager

Quick Reply