The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > Efficiency value in BeerSmith

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2012, 12:50 AM   #11
duboman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 450 Times on 419 Posts
Likes Given: 200

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcaudill
I dunno - actually I think I'd rather end up a bit shy! Just because instead of having a nice civil 5.5% festbier, I have the potential to either have a 6.5-7% or if it doesn't fully ferment to target it may be a tad sweet!

At least if you end up on the low side you can just boil longer!
What it comes down to is making sure the software is dialed in with the equipment profile and brew house efficiency. Once you know all the stars are aligned designing and creating recipes become pretty spot on and the beers you brew end up the way they are supposed to:assuming your brewing process doesn't divert from the recipe.

In other words, if you want to brew a 1.050pale ale and design the recipe as such the software will give you what you need to brew that beer and if your equipment is dialed in then you'll hit all your temps and volumes every time, well, maybe......

I started milling my own grain and moved my total brew house efficiency to a consistent 80%. All my recipes are now being created with everything dialed in and each batch has been pretty spot on, very pleased

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2012, 01:00 AM   #12
kellzey
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I have found a number of things in the equipment profiles can be tweaked to help dial in the better efficiency numbers.

Specifically the lauter tun deadspace, trub/chiller loss, fermenter loss, and evaporation rate. If set too high, these can affect the final gravity and you'll be off target and have a lower efficiency.

In the fermenter: Pugkin Ale, Apfelwein
In the keezer: Black Pug Coconut Porter, Black Pug Wheat, Black Pug IPA
Gone: Black Pug Blonde Ale

Old 08-24-2012, 09:34 PM   #13
cwi
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellzey View Post
I have found a number of things in the equipment profiles can be tweaked to help dial in the better efficiency numbers.

Specifically the lauter tun deadspace, trub/chiller loss, fermenter loss, and evaporation rate. If set too high, these can affect the final gravity and you'll be off target and have a lower efficiency.
I have found that BeerSmith does not properly handle trub loss, even though the fanboys swear it isn't an issue.
I have found that setting the trub loss to '0', and manually increasing the batch size (using the scale tool for existing recipes), is the only way to get the numbers close. This is due to BeerSmith defining efficiency to be 'to the fermenter'. To use the trub field like you would assume it should be used, you have to figure out by what amount to decrease your efficiency (and rescale) when trub losses are increased. Even if you calculate the exact 'to the fermenter' efficiency loss due to the trub loss, BeerSmith doesn't use trub loss correctly, but the numbers are close enough.

The bigger pain is that accurately exchanging recipes is nearly impossible because of the 'to the fermenter' efficiency and trub loss nonsense.

Quick Reply