Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Chance to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > Efficiency Calculations

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2011, 01:30 AM   #1
sanfriz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Efficiency Calculations

I am new to all grain so I was trying to use all the technology I could for help. I was using the following programs:
Brewmate for PC
Sparge Pal for Iphone
Brew Pal for Iphone

Each one told me a different efficiency for my mash. My recipe was a simple wheat that I substituted with chocolate wheat and pilsner. 6/4 ratio. I followed the calculations for Sparge Pal and used 3.1 Gal for 1 hr at 152.5 F. My pre boil gravity was 1.032 and my OG was 1.042. My Brewmate tells me this is right at 70% and my Sparge Pal tells me it’s at 56% efficiency?

After this I am not sure which one to use. I checked my options and both are the same. I like the idea of planning my brews on my laptop and then using my Iphone when the actual brew happens. Any suggestions on software that would work better together? Or any idea why the efficiency was so far off?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2011, 01:37 AM   #2
jerryalan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Each one probably has a different extraction potential for your grains. Or their calculations are different. Either way, why not just use your laptop while brewing? I use BeerSmith and my netbook comes to the garage with me so I have all my calculators ready. Also, it's easier to post a last-minute question here if you run into an unexpected issue :-)

Tapped - IPA
Tapped - Dunkelweizen
Tapped - Air
Bottled - Robust Coffee Porter
Fermenting - Blonde Ale
On Deck - Not sure yet
Current Project - Electric Brewing

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply