Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > Draughtcraft.com - New Online Recipe Tool

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2011, 01:06 AM   #1
rpetrello
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Draughtcraft.com - New Online Recipe Tool

Hey Folks,

I'm a professional software developer that loves making beer and loves to tinker with software, too. Months ago, I started looking for available software to create, share, and manage my recipes. I tried out some of the popular solutions (Beersmith, BeerAlchemy, Hopville, etc...), and finally realized I wasn't finding exactly what I was looking for:

1. Dead simple software. The ability to build, tweak, and share a recipe quickly. I don't run a professional brewery, and I don't stress over the details of a recipe; I just want to have fun planning a recipe, not build a space shuttle.
2. Recipes that focus on the *process* of brewing, not just a big list of ingredients. I want software that makes the process of the brew day clear.
3. The ability to easily share and search for new recipes.

There are already existing apps that do some of these things, and they're great options that I've used consistently for awhile. I wanted a bit more control, though, and now a weekend project has blossomed into a free service:

http://www.draughtcraft.com/

A few notes, for now:

* Draughtcraft lets you build and publicly share unlimited recipes online.
* You don't have to sign up to start building a recipe.
* The service is currently in "beta", which means that if you care to give it a shot, it's possible that you'll notice bugs. I plan to regularly resolve known issues and add new features as time allows.
* I may offer premium accounts at some point to recover hosting expenses, and if the service costs money in the future, I plan to at least provide some form of grandfathered state for earlier beta users/adopters.

So give it a spin and please give me your feedback.

Last edited by rpetrello; 09-28-2011 at 01:10 AM. Reason: Added a screenshot

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2011, 11:50 AM   #2
carrotmalt
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Efficiency

Is there somewhere to enter expected mash efficiency, or are you calculating based on ingredients alone? You might add some sort of spinner or something somewhere to indicate when there's ajax processing going on. For slow connections it may be not be as obvious waiting for updates etc.

Looks like a nice tool.

I like a little more beer in my beer.

Old 09-28-2011, 01:16 PM   #3
rpetrello
Recipes 

Hey carrot,

Some of the settings (mash efficiency, IBU calculation method, etc...) are currently only available if you sign up. As time goes on, I might pull some of these out and make them configurable for anonymous users, too.

Good call on the ajax spinner. For now, the code attempts to save asynchronously in the most unobtrusive and smartest way possible - it waits for a moment it's perceives as you being done making changes, and then is saves to the background, disabling certain page components while it refreshes. So it's actually very possible (especially if you're primarily a keyboard user, like I am) to tab between several ingredients of a recipe, making changes along the way, and have it all save at the end.

Old 09-28-2011, 01:17 PM   #4
rpetrello
Recipes 

Also, for what it's worth, the tool currently assumes 75% for anonymous users.

Old 09-28-2011, 01:30 PM   #5
carrotmalt
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You might have those features show up as disabled with a tooltip or something to indicate they're member only features. Otherwise, we're left assuming it just doesn't account for it. It'd be a shame for someone to not use your tool because they didn't think it has features that it really has.

I think efficiency is a pretty important one though. At least make it obvious somewhere that that's the hard coded value for non-members.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpetrello View Post
Hey carrot,

Some of the settings (mash efficiency, IBU calculation method, etc...) are currently only available if you sign up. As time goes on, I might pull some of these out and make them configurable for anonymous users, too.

Good call on the ajax spinner. For now, the code attempts to save asynchronously in the most unobtrusive and smartest way possible - it waits for a moment it's perceives as you being done making changes, and then is saves to the background, disabling certain page components while it refreshes. So it's actually very possible (especially if you're primarily a keyboard user, like I am) to tab between several ingredients of a recipe, making changes along the way, and have it all save at the end.

I like a little more beer in my beer.

Old 09-28-2011, 02:21 PM   #6
rpetrello
Recipes 

Sounds smart - I'll make a point to display some of these important stats (efficiency, especially) by default, and make it clear that (for now) they can only be modified if you sign up.

Old 09-28-2011, 03:16 PM   #7
Burgs
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Very, very nice.

A few suggestions - I did a 2.5 gal recipe on there, and when I view my profile, under the beer name it says All Grain, American Pale Ale, 2 gallons - like it's rounding that .5 off.

If I use this site to search for other recipes, and wasn't aware of it doing that, I'd overlook 2 gallon recipes and be looking for ones that said 2.5 - as that's what my system does.

Only other suggestion that would be awesome is some kind of printable view that you could use as a brew-day sheet. Maybe that's already there and I'm not seeing it though?

It really is bad ass though, I love it!

EDIT: nevermind on the summary - I see it!

Old 09-28-2011, 03:27 PM   #8
rpetrello
Recipes 

@Burgs - I'll have a look into the gallons truncating.

There's not currently an official "brew day sheet", but if you just print (File -> Print) the recipe builder page, it gives a pretty succinct overview of the processes and ingredients involved on brew day.

Old 09-28-2011, 03:34 PM   #9
Burgs
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Nice! That's all I was wanting.

I love that this isn't trying to do too much - you've won me over.

Old 09-28-2011, 03:47 PM   #10
rodisian
Recipes 

Love the interface! Very clean. Signed up and subscribed to this thread - looking forward to see how this develops and if it can dethrone my current favorite (hopville)

Quick Reply