The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > Does brewtoad make anyone else want to shoot themselves in the face?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2013, 08:50 PM   #31
roastquake
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 228 Times on 191 Posts
Likes Given: 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by drainbamage View Post
+1

Brewtoad is ok, but it frustrates me sometimes with the above quirks. I've also saved draft recipes and had them disappear.
Yea that pizzed me off early on too, then I found that my drafts had not disappeared, I just had to use the search bar to find them. Something I don't think I should have to do. So now I just publish my recipes whether they are ready or not

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2013, 09:20 PM   #32
bobmcstuff
Recipes 

Liked 278 Times on 185 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluelimbo View Post
I use Brewer's Friend (http://www.brewersfriend.com/) but it has a really annoying limit in the number of recipes before it wants you to pay (I think it is 5... which is really low). It seems to work and stays pretty much out of your way. It decent. Wish they would go ad supported and just allow folks to use it for free. I would be totally fine with that.

I dunno, other folks may hate Brewer's Friend. Just not sure. It popped up in a pinch and I have been using it since.
I really like it too - half tempted to stump up. It's only like $9.99 a year, seems cheap enough.

Old 09-13-2013, 10:07 AM   #33
masskrug
Shooting for 80%
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by boydsbitchinbrews View Post
<Insert shameless plug for BrewTarget here>

I really like BrewTarget. It's also free.

</shameless plug>
I like, and use, Brewtarget as well. The problem is, no saving in the cloud. My hard drive went south recently. Luckily I had saved my recipes to Dropbox!

Old 09-28-2013, 04:32 AM   #34
apalke
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I really despise brewtoad. It seems like when they brought it out and replaced Hopville they felt like they were doing us a favor by giving us a slick graphical interface but at the same time reducing functionality. When I left comments on their blog thingamajig their responses were kind of condescending... even though I was in no way being confrontational or disrespectful. I noticed this with some other people's comments.

I switched to BeerSmith and couldn't be happier. Hopville had some flaws, but it did what you wanted it to do. Even if brewtoad has fixed all of their problems and has top-knotch functionality, I still won't go back as the whole experience left a bad taste in my mouth.

Old 09-28-2013, 07:06 AM   #35
Trail
Can't stand the heat, stays out of the kitchen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Yeah, I bought Beersmith a couple years ago but never switched over because I loved having my recipes online so much. That said, Brewtoad is really bad at calculating gravity, SRM, and IBUs... which are kind of important.

I've been using Beersmith instead for the last three batches. Marked improvement in batch consistency and precision thanks to the integrated calculations.

Kegged: Dry Irish Stout
Bottled: Dark English Mild
Bottled: No. 4 Ordinary Bitter
Bottled: Honey Saison

Primary: Honey Steam Pilsner
Primary: EdWort's Apfelwein

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post
The first step is locating a cheap pasta maker. Are you married? If so you probably got one as a wedding present.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:23 AM   #36
masskrug
Shooting for 80%
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by trail View Post
brewtoad is really bad at calculating gravity, srm, and ibus... Which are kind of important.
this!

Old 01-29-2014, 10:41 AM   #37
hotspurdotus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail View Post
I feel your pain. I actually started playing around with a DropBox-based ghetto sync for BeerSmith recipes today. What I'm doing probably won't work on a non-rooted phone, but I'll post steps once I get a reproducible, simple workflow put together.
Here's what I do. I set up Brewaid, a free android app, on my phone. It has Dropbox functionality.

I export a .bsmx file from Beersmith every week or so. I save it into a Dropbox folder, where its automatically uploaded to the cloud.

Overall it works pretty well. Brewaid is a little wonky, but I does allow me to view all my recipes on my phone with minimal effort.

I bought the Beersmith android app using a $5 promotion from Amazon. Its a good app, I like the timers and the ability to enter brew day data, but moving recipes to and from the cloud is a pain. I end up using Brewaid more.

Old 01-29-2014, 12:09 PM   #38
drainbamage
It'll getcha drunk!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 369 Times on 247 Posts
Likes Given: 709

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail View Post
That said, Brewtoad is really bad at calculating gravity, SRM, and IBUs... which are kind of important.
I've noticed this lately too, especially when moving between a draft and a published recipe. It'll show one set of numbers (presumably rounded up) while you are formulating the recipe, then show the "real" numbers when you save it. While I like the online capability, it seems like some of their updates are not for the better.

Old 01-31-2014, 01:07 PM   #39
zarfus
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Glad I'm not alone on the brewtoad thoughts. I have to use Brew Target in conjunction with brewtoad to get anywhere. Brewtoad is beautiful though...I think a monkey came up with their calculations though.

So you guys are saying there's a market for a "cloud based" brewing app? I was looking for a new HTML5 project to do, but I thought everybody and their mother loved brewtoad. But if you're telling me the developers are asshats and don't respond to feedback/support requests, then I might just go ahead and make something.

Edit: also, it absolutely SUCKS on mobile (adding ingredients and such).

Quick Reply