Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > Does brewtoad make anyone else want to shoot themselves in the face?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2013, 10:47 PM   #21
FuzzeWuzze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 246 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 19

You should really try Brewers-assistant.com

Not many do, it is actually a copy of Beer Smith more or less, but all free and web based.

Some of the interface things are bit wonky, but overall it works pretty well.
The built in brew logs and timers are nice.

Its free, so why not give it a whirl.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2013, 10:50 PM   #22
501irishred
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerin View Post
Kind of, except you're limited to 10 recipes unless you pay a monthly fee, and it doesn't work well at all. For instance, it keeps telling me my recipe "failed to transfer to cloud" but then there are three copies of the recipe on the cloud site.

I liked Hopville a lot. Brewtoad is... OK. I daren't change batch sizes, etc when I'm on my phone's browser (you know... like if I'm brewing or at the LHBS) or it will adjust some of the malts but not all of them, or sometimes just the hops, or sometimes it won't adjust any of them but when I set the batch size back it cuts all my ingredients in half besides water.

The main reason I don't use Beersmith is that it demands information I don't have about my water profile, and information I CAN'T have for my mash profile because I BIAB. I've heard you can create a profile to fix this but it looks complicated.
I've never used Brewtoad, but with the title of this thread I couldn't help but check it out! (thought Brewtoad might be a user name...)

As for BeerSmith, IMO it rocks! I just use the cloud for transferring recipe's between devices and I keep a couple "next to brew" recipe's in case my truck happens to auto pilot to my LHBS on the way home from work. As for BIB, it's as simple as about 3 clicks of the mouse. Takes a bit to figure out all the bells and whistles, but is usable even at it's most basic functions. Watch the videos on the BS site, and you're off.....

Whiskey's too rough, champagne costs too much, vodka puts my mouth in gear
This little refrain should help me explain as a matter of fact I like beer - Tom T Hall

Old 09-04-2013, 11:48 PM   #23
boydster
Round Earther
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 748 Times on 518 Posts
Likes Given: 600

<Insert shameless plug for BrewTarget here>

I really like BrewTarget. It's also free.

</shameless plug>

Check out these cool kits at Know How Brews & Foods!

Big Jim Walker IIPA
Allagash-ishhh White Ale
Happy Hoppy Blonde Ale

Old 09-04-2013, 11:53 PM   #24
drainbamage
Something something danger zone
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 604 Times on 386 Posts
Likes Given: 1078

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastquake
I really like brewtoad, the things that bother me about it are:

1. if you don't uncheck the "auto-scale ingredients" button, it f#%@s s%$# up.

2. Some of my ingredients from old hopville recipes are different.

3. Lots of ingredients from hopville are gone
+1

Brewtoad is ok, but it frustrates me sometimes with the above quirks. I've also saved draft recipes and had them disappear.

Old 09-05-2013, 12:14 AM   #25
goldenislesbrewsupply
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I used to use Hopville until they were bought out, can't say i'm a huge fan of BrewToad. I have been messing with BeerSmith for a while and I have to say I am hooked!

Old 09-05-2013, 01:38 AM   #26
signpost
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 453

I used Hopville when I first started brewing and attempting to formulate recipes. But I haven't tried it since it switched over to brewtoad. I switched over to the BrewPal app instead. It only costs a couple bucks and it works really well for all of the recipes I've put into it. Super easy to adjust to different types of recipes (extract, steeping grains, all-grain), mash techniques (infusion, step, decoction), batch size, boil size, typical efficiency, or just about anything else. Every time I've thought, "hey I wish this app could do _blank_," I've been able to look through the options and find a way to do it.

Granted it isn't as detailed as Beersmith - no water chemistry stuff. But it is pretty darn good for the price, and it seems to get updated on a pretty regular basis.

Bottled - Northern Brewer's Oud Bruin de Table; The Land of Pils and Honey, imperial Saison with Clover Honey; a sour mashed Berliner Weisse; Cascade Pale Ale; Hop Wine - Imperial India Pilsner Ale; Guajillo Ancho Brown Ale; Back To School Porter, Imperial Robust Porter with vanilla beans

Old 09-05-2013, 03:33 AM   #27
The_Professor
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts

I liked the old Beer Calculus.

I finally figured out BrewToad and it's okay. Also have seen some changes so I guess it's a work in progress.

Brewing since '08
1-91) - Gone
92) Dry Stout (with homemade long roast malt)
93) Hopped Crystal Malt Mead
94) Early California Lager

Old 09-05-2013, 03:40 AM   #28
msarro
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I am undecided on brewtoad. I used to exclusively use beer calculus. However on some things I simply can't trust brewtoad - for instance, an english barleywine recipe shows as 12.7% ABV in beersmith, and ~8% ABV in brewtoad. Seems like a lot of the ingredients are missing too (no fault of the guys making it, I'm sure it takes forever to get all of that stuff in there).

Old 09-05-2013, 03:41 AM   #29
Qhrumphf
Stay Rude, Stay SHARP
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1686 Times on 1199 Posts
Likes Given: 689

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-boy View Post
Doesn't Beersmith have a cloud option that allows you to keep recipes online, and to share them?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerin View Post
Kind of, except you're limited to 10 recipes unless you pay a monthly fee, and it doesn't work well at all. For instance, it keeps telling me my recipe "failed to transfer to cloud" but then there are three copies of the recipe on the cloud site.

I liked Hopville a lot. Brewtoad is... OK. I daren't change batch sizes, etc when I'm on my phone's browser (you know... like if I'm brewing or at the LHBS) or it will adjust some of the malts but not all of them, or sometimes just the hops, or sometimes it won't adjust any of them but when I set the batch size back it cuts all my ingredients in half besides water.

The main reason I don't use Beersmith is that it demands information I don't have about my water profile, and information I CAN'T have for my mash profile because I BIAB. I've heard you can create a profile to fix this but it looks complicated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 501irishred View Post
I've never used Brewtoad, but with the title of this thread I couldn't help but check it out! (thought Brewtoad might be a user name...)

As for BeerSmith, IMO it rocks! I just use the cloud for transferring recipe's between devices and I keep a couple "next to brew" recipe's in case my truck happens to auto pilot to my LHBS on the way home from work. As for BIB, it's as simple as about 3 clicks of the mouse. Takes a bit to figure out all the bells and whistles, but is usable even at it's most basic functions. Watch the videos on the BS site, and you're off.....
I stopped using Hopville for BeerSmith a long time ago for recipe development. But I already paid for the BeerSmith software, so I refuse to pay again for worldwide access to all my recipes. So I still entered the recipe on Hopville for free web access and sharing and what not. Since the Brewtoad switch, I hate it so much that I refuse to use it, period. If I really think I'm going to need the recipe, I either just write it down, or transcribe and save it to Google Drive.

Up Next: Robust Porter, Kitchen Sink Brown Porter, Bluebird Bitter Clone v2.5, Scottish 60/-, Rye American Pale Ale
Primary: Bluebird Bitter Clone v2.0, Dark Mild
Souring: Lamebic, Flanders Red, Brett. C. Old Ale, Sour Stout, Brett C. Wild Bitter, Wild Cider
Polypins: (Empty for now)
Bottled: English Cider, Belgian IPA, Spiced Winter Warmer, Malt Liquor
In the "cellar": Brett B. Tripel, Quadrupel, Tripel, Brett C. Oaked English Barleywine, Lamebic

Old 09-05-2013, 04:41 AM   #30
Trail
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qhrumphf View Post
I stopped using Hopville for BeerSmith a long time ago for recipe development. But I already paid for the BeerSmith software, so I refuse to pay again for worldwide access to all my recipes. So I still entered the recipe on Hopville for free web access and sharing and what not. Since the Brewtoad switch, I hate it so much that I refuse to use it, period. If I really think I'm going to need the recipe, I either just write it down, or transcribe and save it to Google Drive.
I feel your pain. I actually started playing around with a DropBox-based ghetto sync for BeerSmith recipes today. What I'm doing probably won't work on a non-rooted phone, but I'll post steps once I get a reproducible, simple workflow put together.

Kegged: Scottish Ale
Bottled: Honey Saison
Primary: Honey Steam Pilsner (Still!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post
The first step is locating a cheap pasta maker. Are you married? If so you probably got one as a wedding present.

Quick Reply