Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > Disappointed in iOS brewing apps

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2014, 02:14 PM   #11
TheZymurgist
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 150 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 399

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragtop232 View Post
I've tried them all. Trust me on this one, BeerAlchemy is the creme de la creme when it comes to iOS brewing applications. The UI is friendly and logical in it's design. Very Mac like if you will. The only short coming to the app is no integrated brewing timers.

Beersmith and IB2 on iOS are awful in my opinion. The UI is fragmented and just overly hard to use and implement.

Jim
Just requested a refund on BeerAlchemy. Personally, I found it pretty difficult to use, unintuitive, not nearly as logical as iBM2. iBM2 has far more ingredients pre-loaded, and has a much more friendly user interface. I played around with BA for a number of hours, adding recipes, adding equipment profiles, simulating batches and brew days, and at the end, I was very frustrated.

iBM2 is buggy, and it pisses me off. I'm even going to record a video of the bugs and send it to them, since they can't seem to understand what's happening when I email them. However, it definitely has the best functionality, IMO. It's easy to use, logical, and all of its calculations are spot on. Even with the bugs, I haven't found a better mobile app. Still, nothing compares to Beersmith's desktop application. That's the best that I've seen, all around.
Kegged:
Golden Nugget Saison; Roggenbier
Secondary:
SMASH Citra Barleywine; Barrel Aged Russian Imperial Stout; RIS w/ Saison Yeast
Primary:
Lanier Porter
On Deck:
Barrel Aged Wee Heavy; Imperial IPA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2014, 02:51 PM   #12
mozltovcoktail
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 24

I totally agree about iBM2. It's incredibly buggy and pretty ugly, BUT it has the best features and layout. It seems like they're working on improving the app rapidly, so hopefully they'll get at least the worst of the bugs squashed soon. It really seems like they're avid beer people who just don't know that much about design or creating great software. Fingers crossed!

Old 01-15-2014, 03:35 PM   #13
Hophanatik86
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I was a little confused when I first started using brew smith on my iPhone but After playing with it it's totally the best I've tried! It has all the conversion tools I need all of the ingredients and descriptions I would need too! I have used it for three brews now and let me tell you the ability to enter my ingredients and have it develop the brew day schedule for me is really convenient. I'll be honest there are I few feature I'm trying to figure out but in all as a extract and part time allgrain brewer this more then serves the purpose.

Old 01-15-2014, 11:33 PM   #14
Ragtop232
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Interesting how two users can have completely different opinions of the same product.

I'm a long time Mac user and found BeerAlchemy so mac like and user friendly. The ability to sync from my mac to iphone/ipad was amazing for me. Again, for me, it was the most logical and user friendly of all I've tried. I simply found IB2 atrocious to navigate and very fragmented.

Just my opinion.

I wish you well with IB2.

Jim

Old 01-16-2014, 01:39 AM   #15
mozltovcoktail
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Ragtop, did you find any horrible bugs or missing functionality in BA? Reading the App Store reviews, it seems like it might be pretty but somewhat broken or not-so-thorough.

Old 01-16-2014, 01:02 PM   #16
TheZymurgist
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 150 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 399

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragtop232 View Post
Interesting how two users can have completely different opinions of the same product.

I'm a long time Mac user and found BeerAlchemy so mac like and user friendly. The ability to sync from my mac to iphone/ipad was amazing for me. Again, for me, it was the most logical and user friendly of all I've tried. I simply found IB2 atrocious to navigate and very fragmented.

Just my opinion.

I wish you well with IB2.

Jim
I find that interesting too! People are funny. I guess it all depends on our backgrounds and how we think. For me, BA just wasn't set up in the order my brain works. If I'm on the recipe tab, I should be looking at a list of recipes, not the first recipe in the list, with a separate button to bring up the list. Also, I don't want to see the water chemistry for every batch. I don't pay any attention to water chemistry, so it's irrelevant to me. I do want the function there in case I choose to use it in the future, but I don't need it spelled out on every recipe. Also, the ingredients were extremely lacking, as was the equipment profile set up.

One of my favorite features of iBM2 is the Batch List. Having a separate list of all of the batches I've done and being able to track each one individually is awesome. It makes tweaking and comparing recipes so easy, and you can make separate notes for each individual batch. This has really helped me refine my recipes. Also having the fermentation and bottling/kegging schedule laid out is really nice. The ingredients are pretty comprehensive, too.

I guess there truly are two types of people in the world: those who think in logical order, and Mac users.
Kegged:
Golden Nugget Saison; Roggenbier
Secondary:
SMASH Citra Barleywine; Barrel Aged Russian Imperial Stout; RIS w/ Saison Yeast
Primary:
Lanier Porter
On Deck:
Barrel Aged Wee Heavy; Imperial IPA

Old 01-16-2014, 01:27 PM   #17
mozltovcoktail
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheZymurgist View Post
One of my favorite features of iBM2 is the Batch List. Having a separate list of all of the batches I've done and being able to track each one individually is awesome. It makes tweaking and comparing recipes so easy, and you can make separate notes for each individual batch. This has really helped me refine my recipes.
YES. This alone is enough to sell me on iBM2. They still have to fix those nasty bugs though.

Old 01-16-2014, 01:49 PM   #18
drchris83
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheZymurgist
I guess there truly are two types of people in the world: those who think in logical order, and Mac users.
Being a mac user since 1986, I find this comment very humourous. I have tried various brewing apps though, and I find iBM to be the most intuitive and usable. I love the batch management feature and the fact that it has integrated brewig timers. As a European, I like the scaljng feature, which allows me to brew American recipes without having to calculate wverything by hand, and most importantly, to scale recipes fitting to my equipment, a thing that Beersmith fails miserably at. I agree with your criticism of BA, and the various bugs contained in iBM2.
Old 01-16-2014, 02:54 PM   #19
Ragtop232
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Ah yes, the old Ford/Chevy analogy. Diversity is what makes the world interesting. I look at the BA database structure the same as iTunes. All my "parent" recipes are stored in the master library. From here, every batch I've created from the parent recipe is listed under the parent recipe and filed chronologically based on brew date. e.g. My house Pale Ale will show as parent and then I have 43 individual batches under the parent that I can quickly access. Once I open either a batch or the parent recipe, I can use the navigational buttons across the top to go directly to any area in the recipe by just touching the corresponding button.

I use a Braumeister 20L, but before I had a 10gal setup and I found it not to difficult to setup an equipment profile, once setup, when doing a new recipe, just select your equipment profile and it's ready to go.

I found BA's list of ingredients adequate for my use. I also really like the inventory module, once you complete a brew, you can update the inventory from your batch and it will automatically deduct the grains/hops/yeast/special ingredients used in the current batch from your "In Stock" inventory. You can also track your orders from the "suppliers" area. Once you place your order from the "New Order" module, you can then enter it into inventory automatically once received. It has great calculators and conversions. Scaling is achieved by changing an equipment profile, say from a profile that creates 10 gallon batches to a profile that generates 5 gallon batches.

Most other things are pretty consistent from Vendor to Vendor as far as features go. I do wish BA would include a brew timer. For me, that's really the only glaring omission I've found so far.

Jim

Old 01-17-2014, 12:02 AM   #20
asidrane
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I really like BrewPal. It is easy to use for recipe creation and also has the brew day timers built-in.

Quick Reply