The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > custom BeerSmith profile for 5 Gal. BIAB w/ top-off

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2013, 11:55 AM   #1
UnclePeaches
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default custom BeerSmith profile for 5 Gal. BIAB w/ top-off

I am trying out BeerSmith to see if I like it for my purposes. None of the pre-set BIAB profiles match how I use my equipment, so I created my own equipment profile and am looking for feedback. I've attached the BeerSmith Equipment Profile file and a jpeg image.

Here is the jist of my set-up which I hope is accurately reflected in my BeerSmith Equipment Profile:

• 5 gallon Stainless Steel Brew Kettle
  • using kitchen stovetop
  • 5 gallon paint strainer bag
  • I keep my grain bill to approximately 10 lbs.
  • after the 60 minute mash, but before the boil, I dunk sparge in a bucket as a means to top off the brew kettle to 5 gallons to compensate for grain absorption.
  • after boil and cooling I transfer the wort to a 6.5 gallon glass carboy then top off with enough water to make 5.5 gallons.
  • my hope is to net 5 gallons of beer for bottling after fermentation and trub loss.

Are my BeerSmith Equipment Profile estimates on target or way off?
Thank you for any insight you can offer.
pjs-5-gal.-biab-top-off.jpg  
File Type: bsmx PJ's 5 Gal. BIAB with top-off.bsmx (1.2 KB, 17 views)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2013, 04:22 PM   #2
eluterio
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 67

I attempted to do this with my converted Keg. I wanted to understand a little more then to use what they had in BS2.0. I still have question such as what is "Top up water for Kettle"? I want to understand BS2.0 but the formas are tough to navigate and I dont get the answers Im looking for.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply