Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > Creating A Cider Item in BeerSmith

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2011, 02:06 PM   #1
FensterBos
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Creating A Cider Item in BeerSmith

So, I am making my first cider and I would like to input the information into BeerSmith. I am using cider from a New England orchard that has an SG of 1.046. Problem is BeerSmith uses pounds (LBS) for their measurements; so when I insert 24 lbs. of cider (three gallons) into BeerSmith it thinks my estimate OG is going to be 1.291, when it should still only be 1.046.
What is the best way to create a grain item (or other) for cider so my BeerSmith calculations will not be crazy?
Please note: I will be taking a SG before pitching yeast so I can still make the proper calculations for ABV% and fermentation, so that isn't needed to be mentioned.
Thanks!

Fermenting:
15 Gallons of New England Hard Cider - Four yeasts: Ale yeast, two cider yeasts, and a champagne yeast.

Kegged:
Helliday Ale and Chocolate Nitro Stout

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2011, 02:26 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4286 Times on 3123 Posts
Likes Given: 831

Quote:
Originally Posted by FensterBos View Post
So, I am making my first cider and I would like to input the information into BeerSmith. I am using cider from a New England orchard that has an SG of 1.046. Problem is BeerSmith uses pounds (LBS) for their measurements; so when I insert 24 lbs. of cider (three gallons) into BeerSmith it thinks my estimate OG is going to be 1.291, when it should still only be 1.046.
What is the best way to create a grain item (or other) for cider so my BeerSmith calculations will not be crazy?
Please note: I will be taking a SG before pitching yeast so I can still make the proper calculations for ABV% and fermentation, so that isn't needed to be mentioned.
Thanks!
Hmmm- could you set up Beersmith with a "pound" of cider? You know, if a gallon of cider has an SG of 1.046, that means 8 pounds has an SG of 1.046. So, a pound of cider would have 1.006. Does that work?

Old 12-27-2011, 12:05 PM   #3
FensterBos
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I'll give it a shot.

Fermenting:
15 Gallons of New England Hard Cider - Four yeasts: Ale yeast, two cider yeasts, and a champagne yeast.

Kegged:
Helliday Ale and Chocolate Nitro Stout

Old 01-06-2012, 03:03 PM   #4
solavirtus
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

In Beersmith, I have added a grain item called "Apple Juice" as a liquid extract and just considered a lb to be a gallon. So if I'm going to use 4 gallons of apple juice, then I just enter it as 4 lb. I set "Apple Juice" to have a potential of 1.046. I think Beersmith uses that as the SG of a liquid with one pound of the material in 1 gallon of water, so it works out. Also, I made the yield 100%, as apple juice/cider is pretty much 100% fermentable.

Old 05-16-2012, 08:04 PM   #5
Schmutzli
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by solavirtus View Post
In Beersmith, I have added a grain item called "Apple Juice" as a liquid extract and just considered a lb to be a gallon. So if I'm going to use 4 gallons of apple juice, then I just enter it as 4 lb. I set "Apple Juice" to have a potential of 1.046. I think Beersmith uses that as the SG of a liquid with one pound of the material in 1 gallon of water, so it works out. Also, I made the yield 100%, as apple juice/cider is pretty much 100% fermentable.
One addition I would have is that if your apple cider is >1.046 Beersmith will not tolerate the value, and reduces it to 1.046. I do it the same as you, only I set the fermentability as 106% to make up for limitation and give accurate lb=gal for my local cider. Do not know why Beersmith tolerates >100% fermentability but limits gravity to 1.046/lb.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:37 PM   #6
HopsNOps
Recipes 

Also remember to adjust your Batch Size to reflect the amounts of combined juice.

Old 06-15-2014, 03:44 PM   #7
strambo
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 41 Posts

I do the same as above, I made my 1lb apples equals my juices SG by editing it and just use lbs as gallons of juice. Then add in sugar or whatever to finish the recipe.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Quick Reply