Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > CP's Brew Chart 3.0

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2011, 12:01 AM   #31
CPooley4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaserchap View Post
Does this support partial boils and partial extracts? Couldn't change boil size.
Not really. It's set up for full boil batch sparge brewing. You could probably finagle it to work somehow, but it wouldn't be optimal. I've personally never brewed with partial boils or partial extracts.

I'd be willing to put in the time to convert this to that type of setup if there are enough people interested. Could have two spreadsheets - the original and a partial boil/extract version. I don't think it would take all that much to do so.

cp

If you're considering buying brewing software do yourself a favor and download my Brew Chart/Workbook first. You may not need to spend that money.

I like beer math!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2011, 12:39 AM   #32
chaserchap
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I'd definitely like it, but don't base your decision on me alone. I don't have the setup or the space for anything but extract/partial...one day I'll get into big boy brewing.

Old 02-19-2011, 01:26 AM   #33
BrotherFreeman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quick question. On the Recipe Sheet, there is a box for yeast. Is this cell dynamic in anyway? Will it affect calculations elsewhere in the spreadsheet? Also, the mash ratio seems to be off (low). Once I input the ingredients, it reads of a ratio of .241. Mash Volume and and Sparge volume seem to be accurate but I would like to have a better idea of my ratio. Maybe its just me being lazy not wanting to do the math on the side =]

Old 02-19-2011, 02:56 AM   #34
CPooley4
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherFreeman View Post
Quick question. On the Recipe Sheet, there is a box for yeast. Is this cell dynamic in anyway? Will it affect calculations elsewhere in the spreadsheet? Also, the mash ratio seems to be off (low). Once I input the ingredients, it reads of a ratio of .241. Mash Volume and and Sparge volume seem to be accurate but I would like to have a better idea of my ratio. Maybe its just me being lazy not wanting to do the math on the side =]
No, the yeast cell is just your yeast choice.

Can you post your recipe? I'll have a better chance to answer your question that way. The mash ratio cell is in gallons per lb of grain so just multiply it by 4 to get quarts per lb. Though your ratio seems low regardless so I'd like to better understand your recipe if possible. Just list the amount of grains and the batch/boil size and I should be able to take it from there.

If you're considering buying brewing software do yourself a favor and download my Brew Chart/Workbook first. You may not need to spend that money.

I like beer math!

Old 02-19-2011, 09:06 PM   #35
Jrome
Recipes 

So I've come to my conclusion:

I love this spreadsheet. For me, it beats the brewing software by leaps and bounds. It's simple, easy, comprehensive and free; what else is there to ask for?

CP thanks for making this available, I am definitely a convert. Two brews down, all of the calc's were spot on.

If you are thinking about getting some brewing software, do yourself a favor, try this first!

Old 02-19-2011, 09:31 PM   #36
CPooley4
Recipes 

Thanks Jrome, I really appreciate it. It's been a lot of work, but also very worthwhile and enjoyable work.

If you end up with any questions or ideas for improvement please don't hesitate to post them. I'd like/intend to keep developing this for the board.

cp

I like beer math!

Old 02-20-2011, 08:13 AM   #37
MX1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Said it before, and I will say it again....

This Brew Sheet is Rock Star Silly.....

Now, if I can only learn the fundamentals of Mash water, I can put one more part of it to use.

Tim

"The ART of brewing Beer, is the ACT of brewing Beer"

Ferm 1 - Amber Ale
Ferm 2
On Deck - Milk/Coffee Stout
Keg 1:
Keg 2:

Total Gallons brewed (2014) - 10

Old 02-20-2011, 05:05 PM   #38
havadog
Recipes 

Hey CP - thanks for the spreadsheet. Couple suggestions (some easy, some probably less so). 1st - it would be really nice if the cells in which user inputs are needed are highlighted a different color than the non-modifiable cells. 2nd - would be nice to have an option of doing a mash out prior to 1st runnings to increase efficiency. Finally, being able to print out a brew-day action plan would be awesome. As it stands, it is necessary to flip back and forth between the recipe sheet and brewday sheet to determine mash volume and temperatures. Anyway, really great stuff, so thanks!

Old 02-20-2011, 06:01 PM   #39
Brewenstein
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

CP,

I just downloaded this and began playing with it. I usually do 6 gallon batches with 7 gallons to start. The boil size cell is locked. Does it matter?

EDIT: Nevermind. I just figured out that when I added my boil off, it adjusted the pre-boil volume

Last edited by Brewenstein; 02-20-2011 at 06:06 PM. Reason: I am an idiot.

Old 02-20-2011, 10:39 PM   #40
CPooley4
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by havadog View Post
Hey CP - thanks for the spreadsheet. Couple suggestions (some easy, some probably less so). 1st - it would be really nice if the cells in which user inputs are needed are highlighted a different color than the non-modifiable cells. 2nd - would be nice to have an option of doing a mash out prior to 1st runnings to increase efficiency. Finally, being able to print out a brew-day action plan would be awesome. As it stands, it is necessary to flip back and forth between the recipe sheet and brewday sheet to determine mash volume and temperatures. Anyway, really great stuff, so thanks!
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll keep all of that in mind for the next release. If you think of anything else please don't hesitate to post.

cp

I like beer math!

Quick Reply