Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > CP's Brew Chart 3.0

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2011, 10:34 PM   #21
CPooley4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 8 Posts

Not a problem Tim. I appreciate it.

cp

If you're considering buying brewing software do yourself a favor and download my Brew Chart/Workbook first. You may not need to spend that money.

I like beer math!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2011, 11:09 PM   #22
hogie1980
Recipes 

Thanks for telling me about this in my other post. Trying it out now and I have a few questions... What is the water to grain ratio it's using? Does it assume a 10% absorption? Is it possible to unprotect the Strike temp because I was planning on 170F?

Old 02-17-2011, 01:13 AM   #23
CPooley4
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogie1980 View Post
Thanks for telling me about this in my other post. Trying it out now and I have a few questions... What is the water to grain ratio it's using? Does it assume a 10% absorption? Is it possible to unprotect the Strike temp because I was planning on 170F?
No problem.

The water to grain ratio is a calculation designed so that you will obtain half of your boil volume from your mash and the other half from your sparge. The number you see in the cell is in gallons. To convert it to quarts you would multiply by 4. My work in this area of the brew chart was based on the work/research of Ken Schwartz and Kai at braukaiser.com Their work/research on batch sparge brewing shows that our best efficiency is obtained this way. You can read more about this at:

Ken Schwartz - http://home.roadrunner.com/~brewbeer.../nbsparge.html
Kai - http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php...rging_Analysis

It assumes an absorption of .125 gallons per pound of grain.

No reason to unprotect the strike temp cell really. If you don't want to use the calculation within the cell just use the amount you prefer instead. That cell doesn't effect any of the other calcs. I would tell you that my experience and most everyone I've interacted with have found it to be very accurate. It is science/math so assuming you are inputting your figures correctly and pre-heating your mash tun it should work well. My recommendation is always to go into your mash tun about 5 degrees higher than the calc tells you and allow it to come down to about 2-3 degrees higher than the recommendedtemp. That will alleviate any concern about further heat loss in your tun. At that time begin adding your grains while stirring well. As you're stirring monitor the temp and close it up when you hit your desired mash temp. This process eliminates the concern of being too low with your mash temp which is a much bigger pain in the ass than being a little high. If you're a little high you just keep stirring while it's open until you reach the temp you want.

If you go to the brewday tab you'll see the brewer schedule as well. This details my process which may be of some help. You can of course re-write that if you'd like as well.

If you have any further questions please don't hesitate to ask. Appreciate any feedback as it allows me to keep improving this thing. The last time I posted a version there was some great feedback which propelled it to where it is now. It's essentially turned into a homebrewtalk thing and not just my thing which is pretty cool.

cp

If you're considering buying brewing software do yourself a favor and download my Brew Chart/Workbook first. You may not need to spend that money.

I like beer math!

Old 02-17-2011, 02:23 AM   #24
Jrome
Recipes 

Hey CP,
So I used your 2.0 version for a tripel I brewed and everything went great! Volumes spot on, temps spot on, it was probably my most successful brew day to date.

My only question is regarding the mash ratio. While the 50% mash 50% sparge worked well for me when I tried it, I can't help but wonder why almost everything I've read has the mash at 1.25 q/lbs or something along those lines.

Are there any foreseeable drawbacks to mashing in with so much water?

Old 02-17-2011, 02:41 AM   #25
CPooley4
Recipes 

That's great to hear. The whole purpose of this project was to help not only myself on brewdays, but whomever else I could as well. Make sure to download version 3.0 and transfer your brews to it. It's quite an upgrade over 2.0.

I'm not aware of any drawbacks. If there are any I'd like to see the research behind it. Kai has done great research over at www.braukaiser.com. It's really great stuff if you get a chance to review it. Covers most everything you'd like covered on batch sparging.

1.25 q/lbs is perfectly fine as well. However, it's not going to get you 50/50 on your runnings. Plenty of ways to brew with even more opinions out there on how to do it. I've chosen to base my work on the best info/research I could find out there. It works great for me and many others. My opinion is if I'm going to spend all this time brewing I want to do things optimally as it should lead to the best product I can produce. I hope that others find this tool pushing/leading them towards producing a better product as well.

If you have other questions etc... please don't hesitate to let me know.

cp

I like beer math!

Old 02-17-2011, 01:17 PM   #26
millstone
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX1 View Post
Tom,

Have you tried converting this to Numbers, and if so, have you found any issues yet?
If you mean did I try putting a number in the cell just to the right of the radio buttons, yes. I put in number 1 for the Bicarbonate radio button, number 2 for the Alkalinity button and a 0 for no radio button. Also, selecting either of the radio buttons using a MAC worked also.

tom

Old 02-17-2011, 01:19 PM   #27
MX1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 73

Quote:
Originally Posted by millstone View Post
If you mean did I try putting a number in the cell just to the right of the radio buttons, yes. I put in number 1 for the Bicarbonate radio button, number 2 for the Alkalinity button and a 0 for no radio button. Also, selecting either of the radio buttons using a MAC worked also.

tom
No, what I was asking is have you converted it from Excel to Numbers ( Mac's spreadsheet program)

"The ART of brewing Beer, is the ACT of brewing Beer"

Ferm 1: Colorado Common Cream Ale
Ferm 2:

On Deck: Pin Cushin IPA

Keg 1: House Amber Ale
Keg 2: Switchback Stout

Total Gallons brewed (2014) - 40

Old 02-17-2011, 01:33 PM   #28
millstone
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX1 View Post
No, what I was asking is have you converted it from Excel to Numbers ( Mac's spreadsheet program)
No, I don't have iWork on my MAC

tom

Old 02-17-2011, 01:36 PM   #29
MX1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 73

Quote:
Originally Posted by millstone View Post
No, I don't have iWork on my MAC

tom
ahh ok then.

Tim

"The ART of brewing Beer, is the ACT of brewing Beer"

Ferm 1: Colorado Common Cream Ale
Ferm 2:

On Deck: Pin Cushin IPA

Keg 1: House Amber Ale
Keg 2: Switchback Stout

Total Gallons brewed (2014) - 40

Old 02-17-2011, 02:11 PM   #30
chaserchap
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Does this support partial boils and partial extracts? Couldn't change boil size.

Quick Reply