Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > Configuring Beersmith for my Equipment

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2012, 01:11 PM   #1
Martin30R
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Configuring Beersmith for my Equipment

Good Morning!

I'm planning a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale Clone (All Grain) for this weekend in Beersmith, and I realize ... I have no idea how closely BeerSmith is configured for my equipment. The software is extremely capable of telling me all sorts of fine details about my brews, but I have no idea if any of those numbers will be accurate to my equipment.

I have a 3 vessel system, a 10 gallon boil pot and two 5 gallon coolers. My mash tun has the braided SS strainer (so I've stated 0.25 of dead space). I want to collect 5.5 gallons of wort in my primary fermenter. I do a fly sparge.

What do you think is important to configure in Beersmith and what isn't?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2012, 01:48 PM   #2
Nateo
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I've had to tweak my boil rate and racking loss volumes to end up with the right batch volume. That's just something you'll have to brew a few batches to dial in. Fly sparging should be easier to dial in. I batch sparge. Just keep track of your runnings volumes and gravities, and post-boil volumes and gravities, and that should be all you need.

To paraphrase Dr. England - "Off-flavors smooth with time. So do mountains. Brew it right from the start!"

My blogsite: http://nateobrew.blogspot.com/

Old 04-20-2012, 05:44 PM   #3
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 473 Times on 439 Posts
Likes Given: 210

The first time I used BS I just used the defaults for one of the preloaded set ups, each batch I made I took good notes and measurements of volumes and losses and then re-configured for my system set up.

You really have to brew a few batches to get the software dialed in just like learning how your system works to dial it in. Once you get that the software does a great job!

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 04-20-2012, 06:13 PM   #4
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2144 Times on 1533 Posts
Likes Given: 1178

Good luck. I'm still not sure I got mine set right! But you will have to set up a few things that you know, and brew a few batches, keeping close notes on everything, so you can tweak it in. Some of it you just can't tell until you brew on it a few times.

There are a few threads on the BS website forums that can also help you dig into the settings.

Quick Reply