Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > Calling all iBrewmaster users: strike water volume calculatiom help.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2012, 01:59 AM   #1
jscovill
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Calling all iBrewmaster users: strike water volume calculatiom help.

I'm looking for a little help with calculating strike water volumes and temps in iBrewmaster. . If I'm doing it right in the software the numbers just aren't making sense to me.

Let me quickly explain what I'm seeing and how I'm interpreting it before I post a bunch of specifics. Besides mentioning that I do BIAB.

I've plugged in my grain bill and hops. I'm doing a five gallon (18.9 L) batch.

For the mash step I've just chosen the Sach'rest (60 mins @ 152). I've told it to autocalc and it says add 15.6 L at 167.4 F. Is it telling me that I should have a strike water volume of 34.5 L (9.1 gallons)? That seems awfully high and doesn't jive with any of the other calculators I try. They are more around 7 gallons. The strike water temp seems high too.

Am I missing something obvious here?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2012, 01:22 AM   #2
alestateyall
Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 5

What are your equipment settings? Specifically your hourly boil off, mash tun volume loss, grain absorption, kettle trub loss? All these contribute to the pre-boil volume and consequently to the amount of strike water needed. Make sure they are correct and if you are comparing to other calculators make sure the assumptions are the same for both tools.

The results your getting seem high but I suspect one or more of the above inputs is also high and that is causing your problem.

If you think you have a bug I suggest contacting the ibrewmaster support through the app. They are pretty quick to respond and helpful.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:45 AM   #3
jscovill
Recipes 

I must wanted to do a sanity check to make sure I was understanding what it was telling me correctly.

I'm using the All Grain Profile 1. I'm not sure how to translate these profiles to BIAB. Did some searches and came up dry. Might have to hit up support and see of they can point me in the right direction.

Thanks.

Old 08-20-2012, 02:29 AM   #4
alestateyall
Recipes 

You have to change that profile for your equipment. My boil off is 1.25g for a pretty wide 10.5 g pot. I think your mash tun volume loss will be 0 since you just pull the bag and drain all the water into your kettle. My grain absorption is 0.13. That is pretty standard. You shouldn't have to change it (though Denny Conn uses 0.1; dennybrew.com). I use 0 trub loss and set my batch size to 5.5g. I have some trub loss but prefer just to make a slightly larger batch and not try to measure the trub loss. Make sure you set your boil size I auto calc.

For no sparge BIAB you only need 2 mash steps; mash in and a mash out. For you mash in set the ratio and mash temp and ibrewmaster will solve for the amount of water and strike temp. The next addition should be your mash out. This will be the rest of your water. Set it on auto calc and sparge. You have to manually choose you sparge water temp.

PS I added up my total water added for all mash steps and I get 8.8g. So 9.1g is not too far off for a 5.5g batch.

Old 08-20-2012, 02:53 AM   #5
jscovill
Recipes 

Thanks for the info. That helps a lot.

My confusion is in the difference between what iBrewmaster is telling me and say, simplebiabcalculator.com.

If I use your numbers in my profile with a 12 lbs grain bill, 1 oz of hops, 152 F mash and 5 gallon batch I get a strike water volume of 9.1 gallons at 167 F.

Those same numbers and with the same profile numbers in simplebiabcalculator.com give me about 8 gallons at 160 F.

Quite a large difference. Which one do I believe?

Old 08-20-2012, 12:33 PM   #6
alestateyall
Recipes 

According to this thread http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/simple-biab-calculator-265138/ the simplebiabcalculator assumes less grain absorption. So you may have to reduce that input on ibrewmaster to get the tools to match.

I think I would start from the online calculator then brew and collect numbers to setup ibrewmaster.

Quick Reply