Bru'n Water Spreadsheet Protected

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Conman13

Reaction score
I just downloaded Bru'n Water spreadsheet for the first time and inputted my water quality report on the first tab. None of the other tabs are updating, or allowing me to input information however.

If I go to the home page I see that the "Permissions" are locked for the whole spreadsheet and require a password to unlock them. There's no mention of this on the Bru'n Water website anywhere and so far searching the forums has not helped. Does anyone know the password to unlock the spreadsheet?

Screenshot attached.

brun.jpg

Inputting my water profile on the first tab of the Bru'n Water spreadsheet has no effect on any of the other tabs, which clearly look like they should be based on the inputs from the first tab. Am I missing something?

It looks like the spreadsheet that comes from the download on the website is locked. The website says nothing about this, and I can't find anything from searching the forums. Does anyone know how to get past this?

brun.jpg

When you go to the "Home" tab, there should be a bar at the top and you can click "Enable Content" and it should work just fine. Also, i think you can click "unprotect" on that page you linked to do the same thing.

I am on my phone right now so don't have it right in front of me, but I think after you enter your water report info on Tab 1, click tab 4 to enter your grist/grains, then tab3 select desired water profile, etc...
Not the easiest program to use/learn but once you do it's great. Oh and i have the Supporters version.
Hope this helps,
Robert
GYPSYBREW

When you go to the "Home" tab, there should be a bar at the top and you can click "Enable Content" and it should work just fine. Also, i think you can click "unprotect" on that page you linked to do the same thing.

I tried clicking "unprotect", but it just prompts me for a password. Have you guys had to input a password to get past this?

I tried clicking "unprotect", but it just prompts me for a password. Have you guys had to input a password to get past this?

Not that I remember. When you go to the home screen can you click enable content?

EDIT: I just looked at mine and that page looks the same as yours so I don't think that is your issue.

Already did that. Didn't work. Maybe there is something up with the version of excel and the version of this spreadsheet that I have. Would anyone care to upload their (working) Bru'n water spreadsheet so I can see if I can use that one effectively?

I just downloaded the SI units version fresh. Clicked "Enable Macros' and "enable content".

I am inputting large bogus values in to the "Water Report Input" tab. I go to the "water adjustment" tab and set my desired water profile to "Pale Ale Profile". The adjustment water summary tab shows 0.0 for all Mash and Sparge water mineral additions. How can this be? Shouldn't it calculate the additions of various minerals I need to make in order to hit my desired water profile, given the water report input? Why is it showing 0 for everything?

I am attaching my spreadsheet. Rename the .bmp to .xls.

Edit: It seems I cannot upload a spreadsheet. Dammit HBT.

I just downloaded the SI units version fresh. Clicked "Enable Macros' and "enable content".

I am inputting large bogus values in to the "Water Report Input" tab. I go to the "water adjustment" tab and set my desired water profile to "Pale Ale Profile". The adjustment water summary tab shows 0.0 for all Mash and Sparge water mineral additions. How can this be? Shouldn't it calculate the additions of various minerals I need to make in order to hit my desired water profile, given the water report input? Why is it showing 0 for everything?

I am attaching my spreadsheet. Rename the .bmp to .xls.

Edit: It seems I cannot upload a spreadsheet. Dammit HBT.

No, it doesn't figure it for you. YOU put your additions in.

I just downloaded the free version at this link and am able to enter data in the input fields and save the result.

I'd give the download another try...

Cheers!

[edit] In case it matters, I ran it under Excel...

Thank you Yooper for triaging my posts. I wasn't getting any action on the Brewing Software forum...

This is a question for others who understand Bru'n Water:

What is the point of the Water Report Input sheet? There are other fields in different sheets where the same input fields for mineral quantities are present. Are you saying that I have to input the same data in multiple places? That makes no sense at all...

I guess I am not quite understanding why water calculation software involves anything but the following:

1) Input existing water profile (Once!)
2) Input desired water profile
3) The software outputs the necessary mineral adjustments to achieve the desired profile

Is this not how Bru'n Water works? What am I missing?

Thank you Yooper for triaging my posts. I wasn't getting any action on the Brewing Software forum...

This is a question for others who understand Bru'n Water:

What is the point of the Water Report Input sheet? There are other fields in different sheets where the same input fields for mineral quantities are present. Are you saying that I have to input the same data in multiple places? That makes no sense at all...

I guess I am not quite understanding why water calculation software involves anything but the following:

1) Input existing water profile (Once!)
2) Input desired water profile
3) The software outputs the necessary mineral adjustments to achieve the desired profile

Is this not how Bru'n Water works? What am I missing?

No, you put your water in once. It then pulls it throughout, into the mash acidifcation area, the total ions, area, the sparge acidification area, etc.

No software will know YOUR desired profile. I like less sulfate than some, but more than others. I generally like 130-150 ppm for hoppy beers, except for one recipe I have where I like 300 ppm.

I can put "hoppy pale ale" or whatever in for the goals, but still the most important thing is mash pH and you must look at that before the flavor ions are added.

In other words, look at the mash pH first, and fix that. Then go back and see where you are with additions.

The thing to know is that most of those things listed aren't important to your beer's flavor (calcium, sodium, magnesium) unless they are too high. So to give you a target for them is unrealistic. You don't need more of them, as a general rule. You don't "need" chloride or sulfate either, but you may want to tweak that. But again, the mash pH (and the alkalinity of the sparge water) are what is crucial and not whether you have 15 ppm of Na or 50 ppm of it.

It helps to read the instructions on the first tab, 0. Instructions, which explains what is going on with the calculations.

1) Gather your water data and work on the water input tab for a while until your ions balance correctly. Save it so you don't have to start over on the next batch you make. Then, like Yooper said, the data is pulled throughout and you will have a starting profile to adjust from.

2) You can input your desired profile in custom fields (cells at the bottom of the Water Adjustment tab) or select one from the Desired Water Profile near the top of the Water Adjustment tab. Read the directions on how to do these.

3) The software does not output the adjustments you need. Instead, it shows you a before and after which you need to tweak by adding whatever adjustments you wish to make in order to get what you desire. That's where the fun comes in.

Back