Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > Bru'n water

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2011, 10:02 PM   #21
novafire
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by novafire View Post
Thanks for version 1.7!

I just noticed the mention of Rahr base malts potentially being pre-acidified. I am now wondering which homebrew stores use this malt as their base malts in AG kits. I have had several AG kits turn out well and when trying to replicate them with my own bulk ingredients, they did not turn out as well. I have water high in alkalinity and this was before I attempted any water modifications of my own.

Does anyone have further info on this pre-acidified base malt?
I must be the only one who found this piece of new info interesting. Or is this common knowledge?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2011, 11:01 PM   #22
mabrungard
Recipes 

Liked 206 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 24

That is information that Kai Troester experimentally determined and posted on the AHA forum. It is relatively new information and I doubt that many brewers are aware of this.

Martin B
Carmel, IN
BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook for occasional discussions on brewing water and Bru'n Water

Old 03-31-2011, 11:06 PM   #23
novafire
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabrungard View Post
That is information that Kai Troester experimentally determined and posted on the AHA forum. It is relatively new information and I doubt that many brewers are aware of this.
Interesting. I will have to find it on the AHA forum.

Thanks

Old 03-31-2011, 11:22 PM   #24
DeafSmith

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Anybody else having trouble connecting to the brunwater site. I get a "Secure Connection Failed" error. I haven't had this problem before today with his site.

Old 04-04-2011, 03:52 PM   #25
mabrungard
Recipes 

Version 1.8 has been uploaded. It includes more ion concentration conversion tools, improved alkalinity calculation, and a nice summary sheet that presents all your water adjustments on a single sheet for printout. That summary sheet also includes AJ's RA Chart that is populated with historic water profiles so you can see how your proposed water compares to those profiles.

I also got rid of any mention of SRM for the water profiles on the Water Adjustment sheet. This was confusing some brewers that were used to the old way of tuning water adjustments to the beer color. Bru'n Water uses mash pH prediction to help guide the brewer's adjustments instead of only the beer color. I also did away with the bicarbonate cells turning Green since that was implying to Brewers that bicarbonate adjustment was correct. In fact, the initial bicarbonate content adjustment is only a 'first guess' and the results of the mash pH are used to finalize that value.

Enjoy! Thanks to all the Bru'n Water supporters who make this possible.

Martin B
Carmel, IN
BJCP National

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook for occasional discussions on brewing water and Bru'n Water

Old 04-04-2011, 06:38 PM   #26
mabrungard
Recipes 

We found an error on the Sparge Acidification sheet that was created when the water volume was changed from liters to gallons. The corrected file is now on the download site. If you downloaded version 1.8 prior to 1:28 eastern time on 4/4/11, you will need to visit the site and download the corrected version.

Martin B
Carmel, IN
BJCP National

Old 04-05-2011, 06:18 PM   #27
BWN
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have a quick question, is water adjustment for the mash water only? I used a 25% RO water dilution for the water adjustment but am assuming that the sparge acidification is using the undiluted water. Also should I be testing mash pH at room temp? I only have test strips so I have been just dunking them in the mash.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:20 PM   #28
mabrungard
Recipes 

For the most part, water adjustment is performed on both the mash and sparge water. But there are some caveats. First is that alkalinity producing minerals are never added to sparge water. Bru'n Water prevents you from doing that. The second is that the minerals that are calculated for the sparge water does not have to be added to the sparge, it can be added directly to the boil kettle instead.

With regard to your sparge water acidification, if you want to dilute your water, its OK. You just presented a case that I had not thought of, but Bru'n Water has you covered.

Just go ahead and enter your tap water profile in the Water Report Input and then go to the Water Adjustment sheet and dial in your desired amount of dilution. Leave all the Mineral Additions at zero for now. On the Finished Water line, you will see that the alkalinity of this diluted water is calculated in cell L 12. Use that alkalinity value as your input for the Sparge Acidification in order to figure out the proper amount of acid to add to your sparge water.

Thanks for bring this up, this procedure will be in the next version of Bru'n Water.

Martin B
Carmel, IN
BJCP National

Old 04-06-2011, 01:11 AM   #29
BWN
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Actually I would rather not dilute my sparge water if I didn't have too. All I am adding to my mash water is calcium chloride and diluting it with 25% RO water. If I didn't have to dilute my sparge water it would be easier to just add the acid and calcium chloride I needed. I prefer to add it to the sparge water rather than the boil kettle, it is easier to measure out in case I don't end up using it all I still have the correct ratio. As long as I keep my alkalinity the same as what is in my water report will I be ok?

Old 04-15-2011, 04:03 PM   #30
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

I always dilute with RO then treat (CaCl and/or Gypsum) my mash water but I just use straight RO for sparging, purely out of convenience. It's easier to not have to combine then re-portion all that water, especially since my RO sparge water is already portioned in jugs. I use the TH spreadsheet to give me the ion profile of the 'total' amount of water because I don't see how to do it in Bru'n water. Am I missing something?

Also, it seems I always end up with a net mash acidity that is a little higher than 25meq/L* (which indicates 'needs more alkalinity') but my estimated mash pH is 5.5 or 5.6 (which is already at the high end). If I then tweek the water (or grist) such that it yields a net mash acidity of <25meq/L the estimated mash pH sometimes goes up to 5.6-5.7 but sometimes doesn't.

Bru'n Water seems to predict my mash pH quite well but I'm curious why I'm always exceeding the high end of net mash acidity but yet still at the high end for mash pH. It's gotta be something common I'm doing to every brew.

* - I hope I got those units right.

Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Quick Reply