LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2011, 06:43 PM   #1
Nateo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Default Bru'n water

I did a search and it looked like no one has mentioned this yet, so forgive me if there's another thread about this already.

I just downloaded Bru'n Water, from https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

It's really the best water calculator I've used, and it actually gives useful mash pH calculations. I hit my target pH on the nose in one shot!

To paraphrase Dr. England - "Off-flavors smooth with time. So do mountains. Brew it right from the start!"

My blogsite: http://nateobrew.blogspot.com/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2011, 12:04 AM   #2
mabrungard
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 184 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Sorry for not posting on this forum earlier. I've been a long time HBD subscriber and AHA member and Tech Talk subscriber, but I'm relatively new to the various forums.

Bru'n Water is unique in that it goes beyond the typical brewing water calculator. It allows the brewer to input the actual grain billed used in the mash and estimate its total acidity. That acidity is contrasted with the alkalinity provided by the mashing water and is used to estimate a mash pH. This is a much more exacting approach to pH estimation. Mash pH does have to strong influence on the fermentability, body, and crispness of the finished beer.

In addition, the program includes a comprehensive section on Water Knowledge to help the brewer understand what they're doing and how to accomplish their brewing goals.

I invite interested brewers to take a look at the program at the link shown in my signature line below. The program is an Excel spreadsheet, but anyone can install the open-source software Open Office that will also run the program.

Enjoy.

Martin B
Carmel, IN
BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook for occasional discussions on brewing water and Bru'n Water

Last edited by mabrungard; 02-27-2011 at 12:07 AM.

Old 02-27-2011, 01:25 AM   #3
Louie
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

I used this today for the first time....outstanding. So much better than the other ones out there. Thanks for putting the time and effort into this!

Old 02-27-2011, 03:19 AM   #4
Nateo
Recipes 

Martin, I hope you don't mind that I shared the link here. I found your thread on the AHA forums and was seriously impressed with your spreadsheet.

To paraphrase Dr. England - "Off-flavors smooth with time. So do mountains. Brew it right from the start!"

Old 03-08-2011, 03:08 PM   #5
novafire
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 31

I've been playing with the spreadsheet a little now and have a question regarding mash pH. The spreadsheet states that mash pH is 0.3 lower at 150F than at room temp. So if I want my mash pH to be 5.2-5.8, do I want my room temperature measurement to read 5.5-6.1 or do I want it to read 5.2-5.8. I understand that you should take pH readings at room temp, but I don't know if I need to compensate for the 0.3.

In other words, is "mash pH" the pH of the mash at the current mash temp or the pH of the mash when brought to room temp?

Thanks

Old 03-08-2011, 05:00 PM   #6
Nateo
Recipes 

The "Mash pH" value that the spreadsheet gives you is for the pH measured at room temp.

Old 03-08-2011, 05:07 PM   #7
novafire
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nateo View Post
The "Mash pH" value that the spreadsheet gives you is for the pH measured at room temp.
So what is the desired range for room temp pH? 5.2-5.8 ?

Old 03-08-2011, 05:37 PM   #8
mabrungard
Recipes 

Liked 184 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 24

A brewer does not need to worry about what the actual pH in the mash is at its typical mashing temperature. That pH is actually 0.2 to 0.35 units lower than what you would measure at room-temperature. But, its difficult to measure the mash pH at mash temperature and its very hard on the pH meter. Therefore, the industry has settled on measuring and evaluating mash pH based on its room-temperature measurement. A sample is taken from the mash and cooled to room-temp before pH measurement. As AJ has mentioned previously, numerous texts and articles mention mash pH ranges, but they sometimes fail to mention that these are based on their room-temp pH measurement. These authors fail to mention it since its a generally accepted method and procedure that they apparently feel does not need mention.

The desirable room-temp pH range for a mash is roughly 5.2 to 5.8, but most brewers tighten that to between 5.3 and 5.5. Bru'n Water includes numerous mentions throughout the instructions, the calculation sheets, and the Water Knowledge section that all pH measurement is at Room Temperature.

Martin B
Carmel, IN
BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook for occasional discussions on brewing water and Bru'n Water

Old 03-08-2011, 05:49 PM   #9
novafire
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Thanks mabrungard!

I think my biggest confusion was that Bru'n Water does a great job of mentioning that mash pH is for room temp, but a lot of other sources I have read do not. So I did not know that it was a industry convention to use room temp mash pH.

I look forward to using the spreadsheet during my next brewing session.

Thanks.

Old 03-08-2011, 06:03 PM   #10
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 165 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I gotta be honest, I found the calculator to be totally overwhelming. I'm sticking with the EZ water calculator. I guess i'm a dope.

Not in any way to detract from mabrungard's hard work.

_

Quick Reply