New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > Brewtarget 2.0 Update

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2013, 06:25 PM   #81
mikfire
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckholm View Post
On the brewday tab, where it lists your efficiency into BK, Projected OG, Brewhouse Efficiency etc....what exactly does it mean if it says your efficiency is too high for style? For example, I brewed an American Pale Ale with a brewhouse efficiency of 74.39% and it is colored red and when I hover over it, it says the efficiency is too high for the style.
The colors at that point are to indicate if you +/- 10% of what the recipe was calculated for. I reused the code from the other displays, and they have that as the standard hover message. I will see if I can find an easy way to fix it.

Mik

No brew plan survives contact with Murphy

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2013, 06:44 PM   #82
geckholm
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 65

ok, that makes sense. Started crushing my own grains and saw efficiency improvements that would cause that.

Thanks!

Old 04-08-2013, 07:15 PM   #83
12thKnight
Recipes 

Question to the devs:

I have a custom 3 keggle set up for 10gallons. I used the specific heat and mass of stainless steel in the configuration when I set it up. I said ambient temp is around 60 for the steel (which it is, on my thermometers). I have ~20 pounds of grain for an average batch, at 68 degrees.

I put in that I want a mash of 152 degrees (example) and it says I should have a strike water of 165 or so. When I execute, the actual grain + water temp is ~148.

What settings / variables should I change to actually get 152 (4 degrees higher) for the mash temp?

Old 04-09-2013, 05:07 PM   #84
jflongo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thKnight View Post
Question to the devs:

I have a custom 3 keggle set up for 10gallons. I used the specific heat and mass of stainless steel in the configuration when I set it up. I said ambient temp is around 60 for the steel (which it is, on my thermometers). I have ~20 pounds of grain for an average batch, at 68 degrees.

I put in that I want a mash of 152 degrees (example) and it says I should have a strike water of 165 or so. When I execute, the actual grain + water temp is ~148.

What settings / variables should I change to actually get 152 (4 degrees higher) for the mash temp?
A good rule of thump is 15 degrees above the mash temp. So shoot for 167 for strike water, maybe a hair higher with that much grain.

Go Spartans!!

http://www.youtube.com/MrSparty1995

Old 04-09-2013, 06:15 PM   #85
12thKnight
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflongo View Post
A good rule of thump is 15 degrees above the mash temp. So shoot for 167 for strike water, maybe a hair higher with that much grain.
Hm, but I want it to use the facts and figures to give me the actual value, based on specific heats of multiple substances. There is possibly a small heat-loss to the frame of the sculpture, but I would be surprised that it was 4 degrees.

Rather than rule of thumbing, I am trying to get brew-target to mathematically calculate the temperatures, especially important with variable recipe sizes : )

Old 04-09-2013, 06:45 PM   #86
swstim
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thKnight View Post
I have the same issue with a similar setup. Increase the mass of your setup to account for it. Are you heating in the HLT and transferring to the MLT? You need to account for the mass of the transfer hoses/fittings/valves/pumps/etc depending on your setup. Also, at least for me, temp stratification is bad enough in my HLT to throw the whole works off by several degrees if I just heat and go. HTH

Old 04-09-2013, 07:10 PM   #87
12thKnight
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by swstim View Post
I have the same issue with a similar setup. Increase the mass of your setup to account for it. Are you heating in the HLT and transferring to the MLT? You need to account for the mass of the transfer hoses/fittings/valves/pumps/etc depending on your setup. Also, at least for me, temp stratification is bad enough in my HLT to throw the whole works off by several degrees if I just heat and go. HTH
Hm : / I am using a setup kind of like this;

Code:
|--|
|--|
|--|    
        |--|     |--|
        |--|     |--|
        |--|     |--|
HLT      MLT      BK
The hose from hlt->mlt is about 7" long made of silicone. Water has a massive specific heat, I am not sure that is the problem, considering the distance traveled is 7".

I will try increasing the mass of the system components. I thought 29.7 pounds was sufficient per keg. What # are you using for weight?

As an aside: I am using a recirculating mash system so I can get up to the proper temps, but I'd like to be at the proper temps to start : )

Old 04-25-2013, 02:14 PM   #88
Mattyp11
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

When will Brewtarget be available for iPad? If ever?

Old 05-01-2013, 05:20 PM   #89
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Using BrewTarget 2.0.0 for Mac OS X. I set the equipment to '5 gal extract - full boil' and the batch size is set to 5 gal. However, the calculated batch size is 5.804 gallons. If I toggle over to '5 gal extract - partial boil' it says the same thing. How can I reset this option without having to reenter the recipe?

On-Deck: Grodziskie; Session IPA; Saison Americaine; Mosaic Pilsner

Kegged: Apple cider; Adventures in Homebrewing's Black Prinz Stout

Bottled: "Clean Out the Freezer" IPA; Belma/Strisselspalt Session Saison; Coffee Saison

Old 05-02-2013, 02:02 PM   #90
jflongo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Can you explain this to me it's a little confusing with adding in Corn sugar. I just made an All Grain IPA, and added in 1lb of Corn Sugar as well. No matter where I put it, it put the Pre Boil Gravity at 1.060, where mine was at 1.052 since the Sugar went in with 5 minutes left in the boil, not at the start of the boil, which this calculated it at. While the final gravity was fine, it project it to be 1.072, and I ended up at 1.070, so the brewhouse eff was a little over 80% which is good.

Is there a way to adjust adding corn sugar in, like you do with hops, and tell it just 5 minutes in the boil, and have it do the gravity correct? I may have missed something, just couldn't figure out how to do this, and then generate instructions for it properly. Everything elses worked fine.

Go Spartans!!

http://www.youtube.com/MrSparty1995

Quick Reply