Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > Brewtarget 2.0 Update

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2013, 01:40 PM   #61
jflongo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagz View Post
playing with brewtarget for the first time. when i select corriander and ginger it adds vanilla and grains of paradise...
If you are saying you selected and hit add, and it added the wrong thing, that is a known issue. Double click on it instead.

Go Spartans!!

http://www.youtube.com/MrSparty1995

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2013, 04:55 PM   #62
tagz
Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 14

thanks!

Old 03-17-2013, 06:21 PM   #63
Ki-ri-n
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 23

When exporting a recipe and then importing the XML into Brewzor, the recipe always comes up with the name "transfer to secondary". If I export a recipe out of Brewzor into BT, the recipe name comes in just fine. Could this be a BT problem or would it be more on Brewzor's end? How could I tell which way is right from just the XML code?

Old 03-17-2013, 10:12 PM   #64
GinSlinger
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikfire View Post
I can only address the middle question easily. The proper use setting is boil. The use field is derived from the beerXML standard. According to that standard, an aroma hop does not add to the IBU totals. In reality, any hop addition when the wort is > 160F will result in some amount of alpha acid will be isomerized and, hence, increase the IBU.

I will have to research the answers to the first and third question.

Mik
The beerXML standard is rather annoying on this point. What with all the experiments (here and elsewhere) homebrewers are doing with late additions, and the articles out there claiming 10-15% utilization (and even at least one on-line recipe builder incorporating such utilizations), it would seem that, at the very least, there should be the option of the user overriding the 0 IBU values so that the data at the top of the recipe more closely represents the expected outcome.

Case in point: I'm playing around with a ESB/APA recipe using only FWH and steep additions (with DH) and, while Brewer's Friend recipe builder shows 41 IBU, Brewtarget shows 15. So, while I can find a way to get a better idea of expected bitterness, it would be nice if my recipe could reflect that.

Not really a complaint, as I understand the standard is there for a reason, just maybe a suggestion for something to incorporate in a future version.

Old 03-18-2013, 01:23 PM   #65
mikfire
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaltnHops View Post
Is there a way to download an older version that is stable and will save my stuff?
http://sourceforge.net/projects/brewtarget/files/brewtarget/1.2/1.2.4/brewtarget_1.2.4_win32.exe/download

But. Before you backlevel, could I please ask you to explain what the problem is? I can't fix it if I don't know what the malfunction is.

Thanks,
Mik

No brew plan survives contact with Murphy

Old 03-18-2013, 01:26 PM   #66
mikfire
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ki-ri-n View Post
When exporting a recipe and then importing the XML into Brewzor, the recipe always comes up with the name "transfer to secondary". If I export a recipe out of Brewzor into BT, the recipe name comes in just fine. Could this be a BT problem or would it be more on Brewzor's end? How could I tell which way is right from just the XML code?
The XML spec if simple if verbose. You can either compare the two XML files directly (vimdiff if you're in *nix, textpad or notepad++ if Windows) and see if you can spot the differences. Alternately, open a bug report on Launchpad (https://bugs.launchpad.net/brewtarget) and attach the two XML files and we will attempt to figure out what's going on.

Mik

Old 03-18-2013, 09:44 PM   #67
mikfire
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

All right. For all of our Windows users, I have figured out why your databases weren't translated and have a few workarounds for you. mea culpa for not testing this on Windows as I should have. I will be attempting to make sure that doesn't happen again.

The root cause is that on Linux, the data directory is the same regardless of versions installed (/home/mik/.config/brewtarget, for example). The process by which we determine if we need to do a conversion involves looking for the existence of certain files in your data directory. On windows, though, the data directory changes with each upgrade so brewtarget v2 never saw the older files to import them.

So you can fix this in a couple of ways, depending on just what you want to do and how much fussing you want to do.

Method 1
This method will work if you have installed but never run brewtarget v2.

1. Navigate to your brewtarget v1.2.4 data directory (c:\program files\brewtarget-1.2.4\data by default)
  2. Copy database.xml, recipes.xml and mashs.xml
  3. Navigate to your brewtarget v2.0.1 data directory (c:\program files\brewtarget-v2.0.1\data by default)
  4. Paste the three files
  5. Run brewtarget v2.0.1
It will take a few extra seconds as we process your existing data and import it into the new format. Once done processing, you should get a pop-up saying we have converted your XML and tell you where you can find the old files if you want/need them.

Method 2
This method will work if you have installed and run brewtarget v2 previously. If you have already manually imported your recipes, you may want to look at Method 2a or Method 3 instead.
  1. Navigate to your brewtarget v1.2.4 data directory (c:\program files\brewtarget-1.2.4\data by default)
  2. Copy database.xml, recipes.xml and mashs.xml
  3. Navigate to your brewtarget v2.0.1 data directory (c:\program files\brewtarget-v2.0.1\data by default)
  4. Paste the three files (yes, these are the same steps as above)
  5. Run regedit
  6. Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\brewtarget\Organization Defaults
  7. Delete the "converted" key and its value
  8. Run brewtarget v2.0.1
This will do the same thing as a method 1, and pop the same message.

Method 2a
This is intended for people who have manually translated their recipes, but are would like all their interesting stuff (equipment profiles, custom fermentables, etc.) back.

Follow the Method 2 steps, but only copy the database.xml and mashs.xml files in step 2.

Method 3
This is for the hard core. This will use some older code we developers used while working on all of this before we had the automatic import. This method isn't pretty, but it will work.
  1. Copy your XML files as shown in the previous two methods. This isn't required, but makes the command lines much shorter.
  2. Open a command window
  3. cd c:\program files\brewtarget-2.0.1\bin
  4. Run: brewtarget.exe --from-xml ..\data\database.xml
  5. Answer "yes" to include the new items
  6. Answer "yes" to save your changes
  7. Run: brewtarget.exe --from-xml ..\data\mashs.xml
  8. Answer "Restore"
  9. Answer "yes" to include the new items
  10. Answer "yes" to save your changes
  11. Run: brewtarget.exe --from-xml ..\data\recipes.xml
  12. Answer "Restore"
  13. Answer "yes" to include the new items
  14. Answer "yes" to save your changes
  15. Run brewtarget v2.0.1
  16. Answer "Restore" one more time
There main difference between this and method2 or 2a is that you don't have to edit the registry by hand, but you do get to answer a lot more questions. You don't have to do the final import of the recipes.xml if you have already done that translation by hand. Just to be clean, you probably should remove the XML files from the data directory too.

Mik

skunk27 Likes This 
Old 03-18-2013, 11:12 PM   #68
skunk27
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Great, thanks a lot, that worked a treat!

Old 03-23-2013, 02:58 PM   #69
tagz
Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 86 Posts

I tried typing notes into a recipe today and it crashes the program. Tried several times, same results. Known issue?

Old 03-24-2013, 11:58 AM   #70
orion7144
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts

I am having trouble setting up an equipment profile for 11 gallon batches. I can create a new profile but the calculated batch and boil size are incorrect. they are still the same for the 5g batch

Quick Reply