Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > Brewtarget 2.0 Update

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2013, 01:08 PM   #41
pbuelow
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orest View Post
Just getting started, and got Brewtarget. In the hops window, additions display as
0.0 IBU, and so main window shows 0.0 IBU.
I also had trouble w/ 64 bit mac dl. 32 works fine.
Orest
What sort of trouble? I'm learning how to package for Mac as I go, so the feedback would be useful. It worked on my wife's Macbook Pro, but I know how much that's worth most of the time.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2013, 02:30 PM   #42
mikfire
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orest View Post
Just getting started, and got Brewtarget. In the hops window, additions display as
0.0 IBU, and so main window shows 0.0 IBU.
Orest
Go into your equipment profile and set the hop utilization to 100. You may need to reset the equipment profile on your recipe.

If that doesn't fix the problem, either respond here or enter a bug on https://bugs.launchpad.net/brewtarget

Mik

No brew plan survives contact with Murphy

Old 03-03-2013, 03:17 PM   #43
Biere_Titan
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I’m doing 60 minute partial boils, using extract, with a late addition of half of the extract (last 15 minutes or at flameout).

Brewtarget sets Hop Utilization at 100 by default. Doing a 60 minute boil, shouldn’t it be less? Something like 91 springs to mind from previous reading, but I can’t cite a source offhand.

Also, Setting hops Use to Aroma or Boil if adding the hops at say the last 5 minutes affects IBU. Setting it to Boil raises the IBU. What’s the proper Use setting for hops if added at say 15, 5 and 1 minute before flameout.

Finally, the late addition of half the extract affects IBU, but not the color. Shouldn’t the SMR be lower with the late addition?

Old 03-04-2013, 07:23 AM   #44
Orest
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbuelow View Post
What sort of trouble? I'm learning how to package for Mac as I go, so the feedback would be useful. It worked on my wife's Macbook Pro, but I know how much that's worth most of the time.
After downloading BT 2.0 for Mac, the 64 bit version, the dmg loads fine, and the app gets copied to my HD. But when I try to launch, I get the error "application has unexpectedly quit". There is a retry option, which never works. No such trouble with the 32 bit version. Hope this helps,
Orest

Old 03-04-2013, 10:10 PM   #45
mikfire
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biere_Titan View Post
I’m doing 60 minute partial boils, using extract, with a late addition of half of the extract (last 15 minutes or at flameout).

Brewtarget sets Hop Utilization at 100 by default. Doing a 60 minute boil, shouldn’t it be less? Something like 91 springs to mind from previous reading, but I can’t cite a source offhand.

Also, Setting hops Use to Aroma or Boil if adding the hops at say the last 5 minutes affects IBU. Setting it to Boil raises the IBU. What’s the proper Use setting for hops if added at say 15, 5 and 1 minute before flameout.

Finally, the late addition of half the extract affects IBU, but not the color. Shouldn’t the SMR be lower with the late addition?
I can only address the middle question easily. The proper use setting is boil. The use field is derived from the beerXML standard. According to that standard, an aroma hop does not add to the IBU totals. In reality, any hop addition when the wort is > 160F will result in some amount of alpha acid will be isomerized and, hence, increase the IBU.

I will have to research the answers to the first and third question.

Mik

Old 03-05-2013, 10:47 AM   #46
Ibrewaletx
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I just wanted to pass on that I am pretty happy with the changes you've made. This is a huge improvement in usability (drag n drop etc) and does everything I need at this point.

Question, do you use data Sean Terrell put together for refractometer calcs? I know he did a lot of work on improving existing calcs in the last 1 to 2 years and came up with some pretty accurate formulas.

I am using the brewtarget_2.0.0-1_amd64.deb on linux mint 14 and I haven't found any problems yet - installed well.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:41 PM   #47
mikfire
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biere_Titan View Post

That was some fun research. I have learned an awful lot about hop utilizations and late additions.

The hop utilization percentage on the equipment profile is basically to fudge the results. All of the formulae used to calculate IBUs are basically guesses. They are good guesses, based on a lot of data and some impressive math, but still guesses. The only real way to know what IBU a beer is is to send it to a lab for analysis. The hop utilization percent is used if you have had several of your beers profiled by such a lab, and notice that the measured IBU is always 105% of the Tinseth calculated IBU. Most homebrewers should just leave that as 100% and learn what 50 IBUs (Tinseth) tastes like and go from there.

The SRM should be adjusted for a late addition. At present, there doesn't seem to be any formula I could find that would describe what the difference is. It should also be noted that any such formula would have to take many other variables into account (pH, intensity of the boil, etc.). Braukaiser has a nice (although short) write up http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php...lard_reactions
Until the research is done and the formulaes are generated, we are stuck doing our best to estimate.

Mik

Old 03-07-2013, 11:46 AM   #48
Biere_Titan
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thanks for the replies mikfire. The braukaiser.com article is really interesting. As simple as making beer is at the most basic level, it still amazes me the big variations that can result from subtle differences in the brew/fermentation process.

And thanks to everyone working on Brewtarget, it's great piece of software.

Old 03-08-2013, 06:21 PM   #49
MaltnHops
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Just DL'd it and started to play with it. It won't save my equipment specs for some reason. Also, it stopped working and crashed right as I was typing in the Notes section.

Bottled: Udder Nonsense Milk Stout, Off Your Rocker Cider
Keg #1: Udder Nonsense Milk Stout
Keg #2: Explosive IPA
Keg #3: Explosive IPA
Keg #4: Nothing
Fermenting: Nothing
Next On Deck: Maibock?
Brewed in 2012: 65 gallons
Brewed in 2013: 55 gallons
Brewed in 2014: 25 gallons

Old 03-08-2013, 06:25 PM   #50
mikfire
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaltnHops View Post
Just DL'd it and started to play with it. It won't save my equipment specs for some reason. Also, it stopped working and crashed right as I was typing in the Notes section.
v2.0.0 has known problems with both. We will be releasing v2.0.1 very soon to address these issues.

Mik

Quick Reply