Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > Brewtarget 2.0 Update

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2013, 03:11 AM   #111
skunk27
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I'm getting a crash with 2.0.1 on win 7 when viewing recipes through the pane on the left. My usual process would be to double click on the recipe name, therefore expanding the tree of actual instances of that brew, then sometimes double clicking the instance. Usually this works without problems, but sometimes I'll get a hard crash with "the program has stopped responding" etc before the recipe has finished opening.

It's proving difficult to reproduce consistently. Sometimes I'm able to view 20 different recipes one after the other without problems, while sometimes the crash occurs when I first open a recipe after startup. Is there some kind of debug mode I can enable or log file produced so I can try and get a bit more info when it happens next? Cheers guys.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2013, 05:02 AM   #112
mikfire
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunk27 View Post
I'm getting a crash with 2.0.1 on win 7 when viewing recipes through the pane on the left. My usual process would be to double click on the recipe name, therefore expanding the tree of actual instances of that brew, then sometimes double clicking the instance. Usually this works without problems, but sometimes I'll get a hard crash with "the program has stopped responding" etc before the recipe has finished opening.

It's proving difficult to reproduce consistently. Sometimes I'm able to view 20 different recipes one after the other without problems, while sometimes the crash occurs when I first open a recipe after startup. Is there some kind of debug mode I can enable or log file produced so I can try and get a bit more info when it happens next? Cheers guys.
Oddly, there isn't. The vm image I used for doing my Windows testing has suddenly decided it isn't properly licensed any longer, and I haven't had time to put it all back together inside another vm.

Is it at all possible you could at least capture the text when it happens. It may provide a clue that I can use to track this down.

Mik

No brew plan survives contact with Murphy

Old 06-29-2013, 07:10 PM   #113
maltoftheearth
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Wanted to show some love for BrewTarget. I just removed Windows from a computer and loaded Ubuntu and, having BeerSmith, wanted to try some different brewing software.

Enter BrewTarget. I am really impressed. Easy to use, easy to make adjustments. The manual is really clear and a great help. Thank you!

Brewed in 2014: Rye IPA, Honey Sage Ale, Belgian Golden Strong, California Common, Bavarian Style Lager, Weizen, Coffee Stout, Gruit, Gale Ale, Isle of Skye Golden clone, Oktoberfest, Rauchbier, Alpha Male IPA & Chocolate Pepper Stout.

Old 07-02-2013, 12:30 AM   #114
mikfire
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brkoerner View Post
all of my equipment profiles have hop utilization set to 100% and am still not getting any IBUs from mash hops

is there anything i have to do differently for mash hops?
According to http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/...oryKey=#citing, some amount of the XN makes it through from the mash hopping to the sweet wort and gets isomerized. I can only read the summary (paywalls), but it looks like there is a 30% increase of xanthohumol (XN) in the sweet wort, which gets isomerized into isoxanthohumol (IX or IXN in the literature) during the boil. Everything else I found suggests there is no significant increase in alpha acids or other compounds that make it through the lauter.

The Journal of the Insitute of Brewing is not behind a pay wall and I found a paper from 2008 discussing just what the effect of increased XN and IX is on the final product. The article can be found here http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...335.x/abstract . The upshot is that increasing the amount of XN and IX in the finished product did not add anything to the IBU, measured analytically. It did, however, modify the perceived bitterness. There is a more pronounced difference in darker beers.

As it stands, I would claim that brewtarget is implementing the current research on the topic. If you can find and cite research to the contrary, I am happy to reconsider. To paraphrase Bones, I'm a programmer not a research scientist.

On the other hand, I like my users to be happy and empowered. I will add two new options that will allow you to adjust how much IBU a fwh or mash hop adds to the final IBU total, expressed as a percentage of that hop added at the top of the boil. So fwh (according to the literature) would have an adjustment of 110%.

Mik

Old 07-03-2013, 11:50 PM   #115
brkoerner
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

ok, It isn't a big issue. I just found a recipe for a Berliner Wiesse that called for mash hops and no boil. Other than that I really don't see using mash hops often. I will look into 2 articles you posted.

And I am happy and empowered with Brewtarget. I like the fact that if an ingredient isn't already in the software it can be easily added. and how easy it is to make and adjust recipes.

Another thing, what is likelihood being able to have folders for recipes?

Old 07-04-2013, 03:04 PM   #116
mikfire
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
ok, It isn't a big issue. I just found a recipe for a Berliner Wiesse that called for mash hops and no boil. Other than that I really don't see using mash hops often. I will look into 2 articles you posted.

And I am happy and empowered with Brewtarget. I like the fact that if an ingredient isn't already in the software it can be easily added. and how easy it is to make and adjust recipes.

Another thing, what is likelihood being able to have folders for recipes?
I'm working on it. It's going to take some work. I'm hoping for v2.1, but it maybe by v2.2.

Old 07-04-2013, 03:19 PM   #117
brkoerner
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikfire View Post
I'm working on it. It's going to take some work. I'm hoping for v2.1, but it maybe by v2.2.
Ok cool, can't wait. Thank you for all your work with brewtarget, I appreciate it. I have tried the trials of some other brewing software but I keep coming back to BT.

Just out of curiosity but what programming language is BT written in?

Old 07-06-2013, 10:43 PM   #118
mikfire
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Ok cool, can't wait. Thank you for all your work with brewtarget, I appreciate it. I have tried the trials of some other brewing software but I keep coming back to BT.

Just out of curiosity but what programming language is BT written in?
C++ with a very heavy reliance on Qt.

Old 07-09-2013, 02:53 PM   #119
MKBoitnott
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Hello, first off I am very impressed with BrewTarget. Thank you for taking the time to make this software free and readily available. I am using the Windows 2.0.1 version and it works splendidly.

One quick question... I am an extract brewer and I have been trying to use the Extract (half boil) equipment in the software. However, when I click on it, it adds .423 gal to my "Calculated pre-boil volume." For example if my "Kettle top off volume" is 3.5 gal, then BT calculates 3.923 gal. Why is it doing this?

Even weirder, is that when I first open BT, it defaults to the Extract Ideal equipment with the Blonde Ale Extract recipe. When it first comes up, the calculated volumes are accurate, but then if you switch equipment, and come back to Extract Ideal, then it starts to add the .423 gal. For clarification, I have not changed anything in the equipment settings.

I will attach pictures for clarification.

Picture 1: What it looks like when I first open it.
Picture 2: What it looks like if I switch to Extract (half-boil)
Picture 3: What it looks like when I switch back to Extract Ideal

File Type: bmp Correct Gallons.bmp (253.6 KB, 142 views)
File Type: bmp Incorrect half.bmp (296.9 KB, 143 views)
File Type: bmp Incorrect ideal.bmp (251.0 KB, 141 views)

Old 07-10-2013, 05:08 AM   #120
mikfire
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKBoitnott View Post
Hello, first off I am very impressed with BrewTarget. Thank you for taking the time to make this software free and readily available. I am using the Windows 2.0.1 version and it works splendidly.

One quick question... I am an extract brewer and I have been trying to use the Extract (half boil) equipment in the software. However, when I click on it, it adds .423 gal to my "Calculated pre-boil volume." For example if my "Kettle top off volume" is 3.5 gal, then BT calculates 3.923 gal. Why is it doing this?
Glad you like the software. We work hard on it.

Thanks for the detailed question. Oddly, I think I have seen this question before and there is a reason for it. Not a good reason, mind you, but a reason. Let me dig through some archives to see if I can find the explanation. Failing that, I have a few more things I need to look at first and then I will try my best to figure out what's happening.

Mik

Quick Reply