New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > Brewtarget 1.2 - Free open source brewing software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2010, 03:20 AM   #141
Zulu
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

You are staring to get mainstream support now....

friend of a friend sent to me - he saw it on Lifehack and knows I brew , and I have posted on our club board too....

From my first impressions , the sw is well written and easy to use.

Will try and run it in parallel to Promash at my next brew day to compare

Good luck with this project, wish I had seen it earlier...

As I have had fun on the beta teams of Brewtimer, and the BCS - 460 plc programmable Brew computer.....

Our Hops Farm Blog
http://zenzele-brewery.blogspot.com/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2010, 06:51 AM   #142
thataintchicken
The good ideas will survive.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1249 Times on 1241 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman768 View Post
Is this a cool thing? I'm only 24, so I feel like I should know what this is!
sup /B/

Ginger, how long should I boil these crab legs for? I want them to fall off the bone just like Texas pork ribs. - Ace Club

I'm a meat hunter. - AZ_IPA

Old 02-11-2010, 04:35 PM   #143
Ki-ri-n
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Your efficiency _is_ the compensation. Setting your efficiency to something less than 100% means you're acknowledging that you and your setup aren't perfect. If you have a handle on your efficiency, then when you put it into the program, you'll get accurate predictions of the OG you'll see on the actual brew day. Getting 100% efficiency is not the goal. If you were achieving that, then you'd be crushing your grain into flour and ending up with tasteless beer. The important thing is that you're consistent in your process and therefore have a constant efficiency from batch to batch. Of course, I could be misunderstanding you.
I understand Brewtarget will change the expected gravities when changing the efficiency, but it also changes the profile of the beer (ie, from balanced to "hoppy" or what have you). Shouldn't I be compensating something else (grain amounts, volumes, ect.) in order to get back to "balanced"? Do I have to "play" with the recipe to get it backed to balanced or can Brewtarget do that for me too?

Congrats on the new fame

Old 02-11-2010, 04:46 PM   #144
rocketman768

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ki-ri-n View Post
I understand Brewtarget will change the expected gravities when changing the efficiency, but it also changes the profile of the beer (ie, from balanced to "hoppy" or what have you). Shouldn't I be compensating something else (grain amounts, volumes, ect.) in order to get back to "balanced"? Do I have to "play" with the recipe to get it backed to balanced or can Brewtarget do that for me too?
Yeah, you gotta play with it if you change the efficiency. The real goal of brewtarget is to generate a recipe from a set of constraints you specify (like color, gravity, grains, etc.). This won't be hard to do since I already can "generate" a recipe by hand using simple matrix algebra, but until I get that integrated, you just gotta play with it like with all the other recipe programs.

Quote:
Congrats on the new fame
Thanks! Although, I'm kinda scared since so many more users means so many more bugs and answering so many more questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeDogsNE
I'm an Ubuntu noobie, running the AMD 64 version of 8.04 (because 9.10 will not run on my computer - dies on boot every time). When I download the .deb version I get a "wrong architecture" error message. Can someone walk a noob through the steps I need to take to get this to run on my computer?
I'll start building 64 bit versions so this won't happen in the future. Try this and tell me if it works:

Code:
sudo aptitude install ia32-libs
dpkg -i --force-architecture brewtarget_1.2-1_i386.deb

Old 02-11-2010, 05:08 PM   #145
bakechad
Recipes 

Rocketman,

Again I can't tell you how great it is to finally get some good open source brewing software for Linux. I have successfully compiled it on Ubuntu 9.10, Xubuntu 9.10 & Freebsd 8.0. Next I am going to try to compile it on my "new" Puppy Linux machine that I am putting in the brewery.

I know the license is GNU, but I wanted to get your okay to hand out Brewtarget CDs to the members of my brew club.

Also, if you are available I would love to have you come out (St. Charles, IL) to give our brew club a demo of the software, discuss feature enhancements and drink some beer with us.

PM if you're interested.

Old 02-11-2010, 05:10 PM   #146
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1658 Times on 1204 Posts
Likes Given: 941

This is good stuff. I have Beersmith and generally use Windows, but am familiar with Linux Server to a certain degree. But my friend, who I am trying to get more involved in brewing, pretty much only uses Windows when he has to. He would probably appreciate an Open-Source Linux product.

Today I look right down, right down to the ground, there's nothing in between to break by fall. I'm blue for you, and I don't know what to do.

Old 02-11-2010, 05:19 PM   #147
Hermit
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechad View Post
Rocketman,

Again I can't tell you how great it is to finally get some good open source brewing software for Linux. I have successfully compiled it on Ubuntu 9.10, Xubuntu 9.10 & Freebsd 8.0. Next I am going to try to compile it on my "new" Puppy Linux machine that I am putting in the brewery.

I know the license is GNU, but I wanted to get your okay to hand out Brewtarget CDs to the members of my brew club.

Also, if you are available I would love to have you come out (St. Charles, IL) to give our brew club a demo of the software, discuss feature enhancements and drink some beer with us.

PM if you're interested.
Do it with one of those bootable distro disks so you can introduce them to Linux at the same time. I think they call them 'live' editions or something like that.

Old 02-11-2010, 05:22 PM   #148
bakechad
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
Do it with one of those bootable distro disks so you can introduce them to Linux at the same time. I think they call them 'live' editions or something like that.
That's a great idea! If I made a Puppy Linux 'Pupet'(sp?) it would run on just about anything. Great for a brewery computer.

Old 02-11-2010, 05:25 PM   #149
rocketman768

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechad View Post
Go for it. Since you can build it from source, give them the latest version out of the repository since it contains some bug fixes as well as an extra feature or two. For anyone else who wants to distribute it, please, by all means do it.

Quote:

PM if you're interested.
Ok, I'll PM you.

Old 02-11-2010, 06:19 PM   #150
Ki-ri-n

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Yeah, you gotta play with it if you change the efficiency. The real goal of brewtarget is to generate a recipe from a set of constraints you specify (like color, gravity, grains, etc.). This won't be hard to do since I already can "generate" a recipe by hand using simple matrix algebra, but until I get that integrated, you just gotta play with it like with all the other recipe programs.
NOW I GET IT

It would be nice if the program could do that for you. Especially for us beginner AG'ers that don't know squat.

If you need someone to "idot" proof it for you, I'm your idot

Quick Reply