Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > Brewtarget 1.2 - Free open source brewing software

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2010, 09:15 PM   #121
Ki-ri-n
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman768 View Post
I just meant for you to set it temporarily to 100% so that you're comparing your actual points with the maximum possible. In other words, the 83% figure I calculated above means 83% of 100% efficiency. I would definitely set your efficiency to something like 60% if you're just starting out. If it turns out that you get more than that, you can always dilute your wort to hit your OG. My first AG was terrible...I got something like 49%!

Nah, half of the process of developing software is fixing stuff and accepting criticism.
49 huh. That's what I got too

I understand comparing to 100% but when entering a lesser percentage, every value drops. I get that too. But shouldn't I still be trying to get the same OG/SG/FG at 100% and have something compensate for my efficiency? Or am I missing something really basic here and I'm just too dense

One thing that confuses me is trying to compare (OG/FG/IBU and color to this recipe: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/bell...ey-come-91488/

When comparing what Brewtarget gives vs the recipe some values seem a little "off". Granted they won't be the same due to some variances. But I just can't get my head around why they are so different. Or if it really matters.

One more question. Brewtarget seems to have a min & max with a selected value in the middle. However, the selected value isn't always the mean value. Why is this?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2010, 10:07 PM   #122
rocketman768

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ki-ri-n View Post
49 huh. That's what I got too
It'll get better; just keep at it.

Quote:
I understand comparing to 100% but when entering a lesser percentage, every value drops. I get that too. But shouldn't I still be trying to get the same OG/SG/FG at 100% and have something compensate for my efficiency? Or am I missing something really basic here and I'm just too dense
Your efficiency _is_ the compensation. Setting your efficiency to something less than 100% means you're acknowledging that you and your setup aren't perfect. If you have a handle on your efficiency, then when you put it into the program, you'll get accurate predictions of the OG you'll see on the actual brew day. Getting 100% efficiency is not the goal. If you were achieving that, then you'd be crushing your grain into flour and ending up with tasteless beer. The important thing is that you're consistent in your process and therefore have a constant efficiency from batch to batch. Of course, I could be misunderstanding you.

Quote:
One thing that confuses me is trying to compare (OG/FG/IBU and color to this recipe: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/bell...ey-come-91488/

When comparing what Brewtarget gives vs the recipe some values seem a little "off". Granted they won't be the same due to some variances. But I just can't get my head around why they are so different. Or if it really matters.
He doesn't say what efficiency he used or what methods he used to calculate the color and bitterness, but if you use 65% efficiency, Morey for color, and Tinseth for IBUs, I get OG=1.055, FG=1.014, Color=5.7 SRM, Bitterness=50.9 IBU, which is spot on with the numbers he states.

Quote:
One more question. Brewtarget seems to have a min & max with a selected value in the middle. However, the selected value isn't always the mean value. Why is this?
What are you referring to?

Old 01-28-2010, 10:48 PM   #123
rocketman768

Recipes 

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 400d View Post
I figured it out - it crashes only when I have units set to metric. When I switch to US traditional it doesn't crash, I can click on mash wizard.
Aha! Now I can probably fix it. Thanks!
Found the problem. I'm thinking of releasing 1.2.1 with bug fixes, so if anyone knows of more bugs, please tell me.

Old 01-28-2010, 11:35 PM   #124
Ki-ri-n

Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 24

So, if I assume I'm getting 60% eff based off of the values @ 100, and I hit the values Brewtarget sets based on 60% eff, I should be good? Then, as my efficiency improves, shoot for the "new" numbers Brewtarget comes up with?

I'm referring to the numbers down the middle are in black (or green depending on eff setting). Left is in blue, right is in red (depending on setting too).

Old 01-28-2010, 11:47 PM   #125
rocketman768

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ki-ri-n View Post
So, if I assume I'm getting 60% eff based off of the values @ 100, and I hit the values Brewtarget sets based on 60% eff, I should be good?
Precisely.

Quote:
I'm referring to the numbers down the middle are in black (or green depending on eff setting). Left is in blue, right is in red (depending on setting too).
The numbers on the left are the minimum value for the style (like the minimum OG for American Amber Ale is 1.045), and the numbers on the right are the maximum for the style. The numbers in the middle are the estimated numbers for your recipe. If they're too low, they'll turn blue. If they are ok, they'll be green. If they are too high, they'll turn red.

Old 01-29-2010, 01:39 PM   #126
Bizoune
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Here’s a minor problem that I’ve encountered.
Let’s say you are planning an infusion mash using the mash step editor then run the wizard to give you the proper sparge water temp and volume. If you forgot to add a protein rest BEFORE your infusion mash and try to add it after having run the mash wiz, the software will give you a “Runtime error : application has requested the Runtime to terminate in an unusual way. Please contact application support…”. It then boots you out of the program. Or maybe I'm missing something?

Suggestions:
1. Maybe a feature that enables you to move your mash steps up or down might be the way to go with a pop up indicating that a protein rest can't be added after the main infusion mash, for example. Mash wiz could be run at anytime during the process. I guess you would need a basic understanding of mash steps to understand what's going on though...

2. Also, when using “Recipe to clipboard as text”, boil time is always set at 0.000s. which is clearly impossible.

3. Another feature that might be helpful is having the mash qt./lb ratio included on the pasted recipe as well.

How is that French version coming along? If you need a hand, feel free to contact me. I’m a teacher working in Québec, Canada and French is my first language.

Love your work!

Old 01-29-2010, 02:18 PM   #127
rocketman768

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizoune View Post
Here’s a minor problem that I’ve encountered.
Let’s say you are planning an infusion mash using the mash step editor then run the wizard to give you the proper sparge water temp and volume. If you forgot to add a protein rest BEFORE your infusion mash and try to add it after having run the mash wiz, the software will give you a “Runtime error : application has requested the Runtime to terminate in an unusual way. Please contact application support…”. It then boots you out of the program. Or maybe I'm missing something?
Ah, good catch.

Quote:
Suggestions:
1. Maybe a feature that enables you to move your mash steps up or down might be the way to go with a pop up indicating that a protein rest can't be added after the main infusion mash, for example. Mash wiz could be run at anytime during the process. I guess you would need a basic understanding of mash steps to understand what's going on though...
Alright.

Quote:
2. Also, when using “Recipe to clipboard as text”, boil time is always set at 0.000s. which is clearly impossible.
Yup. I'll fix that.

Quote:
3. Another feature that might be helpful is having the mash qt./lb ratio included on the pasted recipe as well.
Alright

Quote:
How is that French version coming along? If you need a hand, feel free to contact me. I’m a teacher working in Québec, Canada and French is my first language.

Love your work!

Thanks!

Old 02-06-2010, 12:25 PM   #128
goodgodilovebeer
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Thanks Rocketman!

Old 02-06-2010, 07:18 PM   #129
mdwmonster
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Downloaded this just now - I know, late to the party.

Thanks for the hard work, Rocketman!

Old 02-07-2010, 08:36 PM   #130
rocketman768

Recipes 

Holy crap, this thing is getting serious.

In the last single day, Brewtarget got over 1,000 downloads, which amounts to 7.1 GB of downloads. This is very unusual (we have been averaging more like 20-30 dl. per day). Anybody have an idea why the explosion?

Quick Reply