Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > Brewtarget 1.2 - Free open source brewing software

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2010, 04:39 PM   #111
400d
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have a crash every time I click on mash wizard. this drives me crazy...

what to do?

I runned it on xp and win 7 - always the same issue....

it crashes when I click on mash wizard....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2010, 05:34 PM   #112
Bizoune
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I brewed with this on the weekend. I heated up my cooler MLT with hot water before I added the grains. My mash temps came in about 3 degrees higher than anticipated. I assuming that the strike water temperture takes into account that the temp of the MLT is the same as the grain? Therefore, not heating up the MLT is the way to go?

Rocketman, I came up short on my pre-boil volume in the kettle (about .75 gallons). What is the grain absorption ratio that you're using and can that be modified in any way?

Other then that, I love what you've done! Keep up the good work.

Last edited by Bizoune; 01-26-2010 at 08:13 PM.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:34 PM   #113
Ki-ri-n
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 23

That's what I did (weighed my cooler-about 15 lbs). Not sure if it is indeed correct but I assumed it was. Not sure if it has been noticed or mentioned but every time I go into my equipment that I set up, it always divides the Specific heat by .22 Even without clicking on the box.

All of these people with MAC problems makes me glad I'm a PC

Question, just finished my 1st AG using this software. To calculate efficiency, do I use the OG or the Boil SG? I assume I take my gravity reading pre-boil and divide it by one of those-correct? If I measured, 1.036 (OG is 1.058 and Boil SG is 1.045) I could potentially have an efficiency of (36/58) 62% or (36/45) 80% respectfully-right?

Old 01-26-2010, 07:58 PM   #114
tkone
Recipes 

is there a reason you're not recording the dry yield fine grain number in your fermentables database?

i'm trying to move some grains in from beersmith and i've figured out how to get the yield from the SG used in beersmith, but do i need to record the dry yield fine grain at all?

thanks!

On tap:
You Porter, You Dug 'er Up (Munich/Crystal version)
Todd's Special Bitter
Brown Cascade Hoppy Brown Ale

Fermenting:
You Porter, You Dug 'er Up (Amber/Brown malt version)
Shortwrench IPA (Longhammer Clone)

Old 01-27-2010, 12:50 AM   #115
rocketman768

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
I followed the walkthrough and I'm having a problem with the mash temps. I see someone else had the same problem and they said it was operator error. Well, what could I be doing then?
It looks like to me you are entering little "f" for Fahrenheit. Capital "F" is the right symbol, so you need to enter "121 F".

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400d View Post
I can't figure out why this would happen, and I can't reproduce it. I'll keep trying though.

Quote:
I brewed with this on the weekend. I heated up my cooler MLT with hot water before I added the grains. My mash temps came in about 3 degrees higher than anticipated. I assuming that the strike water temperture takes into account that the temp of the MLT is the same as the grain? Therefore, not heating up the MLT is the way to go?
There is a parameter for the mash called "Initial Tun Temp" in the mash tab when you click "Edit Mash." You should set this to the appropriate temperature to get accurate results.

Quote:
Question, just finished my 1st AG using this software. To calculate efficiency, do I use the OG or the Boil SG? I assume I take my gravity reading pre-boil and divide it by one of those-correct? If I measured, 1.036 (OG is 1.058 and Boil SG is 1.045) I could potentially have an efficiency of (36/58) 62% or (36/45) 80% respectfully-right?
If you want to measure your efficiency, calculate total points. If you measure 6 gal and 40 points at the start of the boil, you have 6*40 = 240 total points. If you set your efficiency to 100% in brewtarget, and it says your boil sg should be 50 points and 5.75 gal boil volume, that should be 287.5 total points. So 240/287.5 = 83%. This would be your efficiency going into the boil. You can do the same at the end of the process when everything's in the fermenter, and this would be your overall efficiency.

Quote:
is there a reason you're not recording the dry yield fine grain number in your fermentables database
The yield as given is fine grain. The "Coarse/Fine Diff" field represents how much the yield goes down for a coarse grind.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:34 AM   #116
400d
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
I have a crash every time I click on mash wizard. this drives me crazy...

what to do?

I runned it on xp and win 7 - always the same issue....

I figured it out - it crashes only when I have units set to metric. When I switch to US traditional it doesn't crash, I can click on mash wizard.

I think it's a bug that should be corrected.

Also, when it is set to metric units, you have qt/lb window and then it crashes, which means that you probably should add l/kg mash thickness...

Thankyou for this great piece of software

Old 01-27-2010, 01:00 PM   #117
rocketman768

Recipes 

Quote:
I figured it out - it crashes only when I have units set to metric. When I switch to US traditional it doesn't crash, I can click on mash wizard.
Aha! Now I can probably fix it. Thanks!

Old 01-27-2010, 03:52 PM   #118
gak27
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Looks quite nice! I've only played with it a bit but have a question that I couldn't figure out: how do you set it up to do extract/steeping or partial mash brewing, esp. where you are doing partial boils?

Thanks!

Upcoming: ---
Primary:
---
Secondary:---
Bottled:
Kolsch all-grain (3 gal)
Partial mash Red IPA (5 gal)
Bell's Two-Hearted inspired partial mash (5 gal)

Old 01-27-2010, 08:24 PM   #119
Ki-ri-n

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman768 View Post
If you want to measure your efficiency, calculate total points. If you measure 6 gal and 40 points at the start of the boil, you have 6*40 = 240 total points. If you set your efficiency to 100% in brewtarget, and it says your boil sg should be 50 points and 5.75 gal boil volume, that should be 287.5 total points. So 240/287.5 = 83%. This would be your efficiency going into the boil. You can do the same at the end of the process when everything's in the fermenter, and this would be your overall efficiency.
OK, I get that, thanks. But no one ever gets 100% eff. So what efficiency number should I use? Or why would I want anything less than 100?

I figured on expecting a relatively low efficiency for my 1st run with all new equipment so I set it to 65 until I could figure out what my true efficiency is. Then I was going to set it to that.

Thanks for the great software and putting up with all the questions It's got to be just as annoying as fixing all the "bugs" after another release

Old 01-28-2010, 02:07 PM   #120
rocketman768

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gak27 View Post
Looks quite nice! I've only played with it a bit but have a question that I couldn't figure out: how do you set it up to do extract/steeping or partial mash brewing, esp. where you are doing partial boils?

Thanks!
For partial mash, just check the check boxes of the grains you want to mash in the "Mashed" column. I don't really have anything set up for steeping yet, but for those grains, just reduce the yield by about half for now.

Quote:
OK, I get that, thanks. But no one ever gets 100% eff. So what efficiency number should I use? Or why would I want anything less than 100?
I just meant for you to set it temporarily to 100% so that you're comparing your actual points with the maximum possible. In other words, the 83% figure I calculated above means 83% of 100% efficiency. I would definitely set your efficiency to something like 60% if you're just starting out. If it turns out that you get more than that, you can always dilute your wort to hit your OG. My first AG was terrible...I got something like 49%!

Quote:
Thanks for the great software and putting up with all the questions It's got to be just as annoying as fixing all the "bugs" after another release.
Nah, half of the process of developing software is fixing stuff and accepting criticism.

Quick Reply