Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > Brewtarget 1.2.3 - Free Open Source Brewing Software

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2011, 01:45 PM   #241
natewv
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Ok so I did my first 2 AG batches this weekend doing BIAB with a 7.5 G mash pot and a 15 G sparge pot and boiling in the mash pot. Both batches ended up with over a gallon of extra wort preboil. If any screenshots would be beneficial let me know.

1) I boiled them each for almost 30-45 minut es prior to starting the hop schedule. I'm hoping that did not eff anything up?

2) How in hell am I getting so much extra wort? I'm mashing for the correct time, and my grist seems to have plenty of room to move around.

3) I took a bunch of temp and hydro readings, everyone here talks about achieving so and so efficiency, and I just guessed at 70% for these, but what can I do now to calculate efficiency (or some other 'brewhouse' or equipment variable in brewtarget) and get some more accurate data as well as possibly use less strike and sparge water or something, or not have to boil for so long?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2011, 03:42 PM   #242
mikfire
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by natewv View Post
Ok so I did my first 2 AG batches this weekend doing BIAB with a 7.5 G mash pot and a 15 G sparge pot and boiling in the mash pot. Both batches ended up with over a gallon of extra wort preboil. If any screenshots would be beneficial let me know.

1) I boiled them each for almost 30-45 minut es prior to starting the hop schedule. I'm hoping that did not eff anything up?

2) How in hell am I getting so much extra wort? I'm mashing for the correct time, and my grist seems to have plenty of room to move around.

3) I took a bunch of temp and hydro readings, everyone here talks about achieving so and so efficiency, and I just guessed at 70% for these, but what can I do now to calculate efficiency (or some other 'brewhouse' or equipment variable in brewtarget) and get some more accurate data as well as possibly use less strike and sparge water or something, or not have to boil for so long?
1) Nope. As long as the extra boil was done before the hop schedule.

2) Dialing in your equipment is always a pain. Most likely, you don't have as much dead space in your mash tun as you have configured. On the equipment editor, adjust your lauter dead space until you get a better answer.

3) The software doesn't calculate actual efficiency in v1.2.3 but it does in v.1.2.4. There are a number of changes in v1.2.4 that can help in tracking the amount of wort gathered at each stage, for example. Try it and see if it helps you dial in your kit.

Mik

Mik

No brew plan survives contact with Murphy

Old 11-16-2011, 07:03 PM   #243
natewv
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I don't know how to keep recipes and equipment data I entered into 1.2.3 for use in 1.2.4

Old 11-16-2011, 07:34 PM   #244
manoaction
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Open 1.2.4 and click Import, then point it at your 1.2.3 database.

Old 01-28-2012, 05:35 PM   #245
Wyrmwood
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Is there a way to update the default brewday instructions? It's kind of a pain to customize every new recipe. I could not find it in the xml files.

"Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards, there it enters the roots of the vines, to be changed into wine, a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy." Ben Franklin

Old 01-29-2012, 07:16 PM   #246
Jayblefty
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Awesome program! Thank you kindly

Old 12-20-2012, 02:18 PM   #247
cramar
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Did my first recipe last night, great program, efficient, clean looking, uncluttered and easy to use.
I've tried several peices of software and many of them are trying to do way too much and be everything to everyone, maybe that caters to the pro brewers but I work in a hardcore IT sector and uncluttered efficient software, in my opinion, is always the best.

Great job.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:48 PM   #248
NoTrubble
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The link for 1.2.4 is dead and I can't seem to find it. can someone correct the link on the first post?

I just made a small 3 gallon 100% wheat beer from this software. It seems to have been accurate but I did find some bugs that I would like to report.

Kegged: 100% Wheat
Kegged: Shiner Clonish something or other.
91lbs Malted Wheat Remain

Old 01-08-2013, 12:41 AM   #249
jasonsbeer
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 8

http://sourceforge.net/projects/brewtarget/?source=directory

Looks like v.1.2.5 might be coming?

There are a terrible lot of lies going around the world, and the worst of it is half of them are true.

Winston Churchill

Dirty Likes This 
Old 01-08-2013, 12:43 PM   #250
NoTrubble
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Cool thanks.

Kegged: 100% Wheat
Kegged: Shiner Clonish something or other.
91lbs Malted Wheat Remain

Quick Reply