The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > Brewtarget 1.2.3 - Free Open Source Brewing Software

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2011, 02:07 AM   #231
sacrifice
Huh?
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Just installed Brewtarget on Linux (Mint 11) that is running on my MacBook Pro - Easy to install and works fine. Look forward to giving it a spin for my next brew and on brew day with the timers.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2011, 01:08 AM   #232
natewv
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Ok, NOOB brew software questions.

First off, what is brewing software for? I'm looking for something that will tell me what to do when I give it ingredients. Having never done an all grain brew, and wanting to do BIAB since I do not have a mashtun, I don't know what to do next. I've added my ingredents, I want to do all grain, but I have no clue where to even start with entering information into the Mash tab.

I have no clue about my pot's efficiency, I do not know how much water / amount of grain I need...etc. How am I supposed to come up with this?

Old 10-26-2011, 01:12 AM   #233
rocketman768
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by natewv View Post

First off, what is brewing software for? I'm looking for something that will tell me what to do when I give it ingredients. Having never done an all grain brew, and wanting to do BIAB since I do not have a mashtun, I don't know what to do next. I've added my ingredents, I want to do all grain, but I have no clue where to even start with entering information into the Mash tab.

I have no clue about my pot's efficiency, I do not know how much water / amount of grain I need...etc. How am I supposed to come up with this?
Have you gone through the tutorial in About->Manual?

Old 10-26-2011, 01:28 PM   #234
Starderup
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I saw that you were going to make grain absorption visible, but I couldn't find it. It does appear that it is in the calculations. If this field was adjustable, that would be awesome.
One issue I am having with larger batches (35-60 gallons) is that it seems to take a long time to recalculate when I change the water or grain. Is this expected?

<priceless quote>My dog dropped his bone in my fermentor while I wasn't looking.</end quote>

Old 10-26-2011, 02:08 PM   #235
rocketman768

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starderup View Post
I saw that you were going to make grain absorption visible, but I couldn't find it. It does appear that it is in the calculations. If this field was adjustable, that would be awesome.
It's in the Equipment editor.

Quote:
One issue I am having with larger batches (35-60 gallons) is that it seems to take a long time to recalculate when I change the water or grain. Is this expected?
Nope. Could be a bug. Would you PM me, because I'd like to get that particular recipe from you to see if I can reproduce it.

Old 10-26-2011, 09:08 PM   #236
itsme6582
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:

You've got to break it down. It's really easy but if you look at the whole thing it can seem complicated. Go through the tutorial and then take it one step at a time. I think I would start with 60 percent efficiency for a first attempt at BIAB. Try to work through the software on your own. If you fight through it, you will have a better understanding of the software.

Old 10-27-2011, 01:16 PM   #237
natewv
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman768 View Post
Have you gone through the tutorial in About->Manual?
wow ok this is helpful, I was trying to go through everything just from the youtube-ish tutorial on the brewtarget site.

So with my equipment, I'm doing BIAB mashing in a 7.5 G pot, then sparging in a 15 G pot, and ultimately boiling in that bigger pot as well. Do I have it setup correctly?

equipment screenshot

EDIT: Second question...I am having trouble understanding the steps in the mash process. I want to mash at 152, and so it calculated the temp and amount of water, but if you look at this screenshot it's got me sparging at 192 in the brewday schedule, and that seems high and I'm not sure how that popped in there.

I think I am somehow screwing up entering info for the mash. All I want is mashing at 152 for an hour and to be told what to do :-) I realize I also don't understand anything but a single mash (that protein rest thing) but I'm guessing that's for another forum :-)

brewday screenshot with open mash editor

Question (3) Is my total mash volume calculated anywhere to allow me to determine if my 7.5G pot will even do the job for mashing?

Old 10-28-2011, 01:33 AM   #238
rocketman768

Recipes 

Quote:
So with my equipment, I'm doing BIAB mashing in a 7.5 G pot, then sparging in a 15 G pot, and ultimately boiling in that bigger pot as well. Do I have it setup correctly?
If you mean that you heat your sparge water up in the 15 gal pot and then move your bag from the 7.5 gal pot to the 15 gal, then I'd say yes.

Quote:
EDIT: Second question...I am having trouble understanding the steps in the mash process. I want to mash at 152, and so it calculated the temp and amount of water, but if you look at this screenshot it's got me sparging at 192 in the brewday schedule, and that seems high and I'm not sure how that popped in there.
This seems about right...it wants you to heat the sparge water (3 gallons of it) to 192. When you put your bag of grains in that sparge water, it should end up at about 165.

Quote:
Question (3) Is my total mash volume calculated anywhere to allow me to determine if my 7.5G pot will even do the job for mashing?
Not with the mash wizard. If you want to use the (slightly) more complicated designer, then it will tell you more info. The wizard is just meant to be click and done.

Old 10-28-2011, 02:03 PM   #239
natewv
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman768 View Post
This seems about right...it wants you to heat the sparge water (3 gallons of it) to 192. When you put your bag of grains in that sparge water, it should end up at about 165.
Not with the mash wizard. If you want to use the (slightly) more complicated designer, then it will tell you more info. The wizard is just meant to be click and done.
1 Ok so are you saying 165 is what I want to sparge at? I guess my question is on all grain recipes I never see mash out or sparge temps specified, is it just assumed with all grain brewing that you mashout (raise temp to 165 or so at the end of the mash) and that your sparge water temp is always just below 170?

2 So you are saying with designer, that I CAN get the overall mass?

3 The mash step still confuses me. Once I enter all my ingredients for a recipe, and have my equipment set, if I want to mash at 152, with a single batch sparge (essentially) exactly what steps do I take? I guess I'm unclear about the difference and heirarchy between "creating a mash" using the drop down menu at the bottom or if I am adding a mash step. Also editing a mash step vs. editing a mash doesn't seem to make sense to me. I guess I have to create a mash, then create a first mash step (mash at 152) and then hit mash wiz or mash designer? confused nate is confused.

4 With brew in a bag, my mashtun temp is actually in the 160 F range, but when I make this change in the equipments tab it seems to mess things up. Should I just stick with 70 F?

Old 10-28-2011, 07:23 PM   #240
rocketman768

Recipes 

Quote:
1 Ok so are you saying 165 is what I want to sparge at? I guess my question is on all grain recipes I never see mash out or sparge temps specified, is it just assumed with all grain brewing that you mashout (raise temp to 165 or so at the end of the mash) and that your sparge water temp is always just below 170?
I think few do mashout anymore, and yes, sparge temp is always 165-170F.

Quote:
2 So you are saying with designer, that I CAN get the overall mass?
Specifically "tun fullness".

Quote:
3 The mash step still confuses me. Once I enter all my ingredients for a recipe, and have my equipment set, if I want to mash at 152, with a single batch sparge (essentially) exactly what steps do I take? I guess I'm unclear about the difference and heirarchy between "creating a mash" using the drop down menu at the bottom or if I am adding a mash step. Also editing a mash step vs. editing a mash doesn't seem to make sense to me. I guess I have to create a mash, then create a first mash step (mash at 152) and then hit mash wiz or mash designer? confused nate is confused.
I think after you do your first AG, things will click. A "mash" consists of many "mash steps" where the grains and water sit at a particular temp for a particular time. For each mash step (desired temperature), you need to calculate the specific amount of water and strike temperature to get you to your target in that step...this is the purpose of the wizard and the designer.

Quote:
4 With brew in a bag, my mashtun temp is actually in the 160 F range, but when I make this change in the equipments tab it seems to mess things up. Should I just stick with 70 F?
In what way does it seem to mess up?

Quick Reply