HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > Brewtarget 1.2.3 - Free Open Source Brewing Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2011, 12:35 AM   #211
GatorBrew1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman768 View Post
Windows Installation
Unzip to wherever. Right click "brewtarget.exe" and then "Send to desktop" or any other method to make a shortcut on your desktop. If you want to quickly move your old recipes to this new version of brewtarget, navigate to the old brewtarget folder, and copy the old recipes.xml file to the new brewtarget folder.!
I can't get this to install. When I right click on "brewtarget.exe" I have the option to send it to desktop. I don't even know how to use winRAR, errrrrr

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2011, 04:49 PM   #212
gritmaster
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have a a couple of questions regarding the setup for Partial Mash brewers.

I do mini-mashes in a 3-gal steel pot. I added this information as my mash tun (3 gallon capacity / 0.120 specific heat, the mass of the pot)

I always do full boils, so I set my Final top off water to be 0-gallons in the "Equipment Editor" window.

What about the "Kettle top-up water" field? Won't this value vary based on how much grain I mash?

Right now, I left the "Kettle top-up water" field equal to 0.

In a test recipe, if I mini-mash 4.5lbs of grain at 1.25gt/lb, the program correctly calculates the volume of infusion water (1.406 gallons), but then says I should sparge with 4.929 gallons to get to my 5.75gal pre-boil volume.

However, I never sparge with that much water - usually I sparge with 2 to 2.5 gallons 170F water, then top up my kettle manually with water to 5.75 gallons.

So...I guess I am confused about if the OG calculations, for example, will be correct?

Does this makes sense? Basically, the program is telling me to sparge with alot more water than I usually do.

I will say that with the current setup ("Kettle top-up water" field=0gallons) the OG and FG seem to be dead-on with what I actually got with the recipe I am testing the program with.

Old 09-22-2011, 01:24 AM   #213
itsme6582
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by gritmaster View Post
I have a a couple of questions regarding the setup for Partial Mash brewers.

I do mini-mashes in a 3-gal steel pot. I added this information as my mash tun (3 gallon capacity / 0.120 specific heat, the mass of the pot)

I always do full boils, so I set my Final top off water to be 0-gallons in the "Equipment Editor" window.

What about the "Kettle top-up water" field? Won't this value vary based on how much grain I mash?

In a test recipe, if I mini-mash 4.5lbs of grain at 1.25gt/lb, the program correctly calculates the volume of infusion water (1.406 gallons), but then says I should sparge with 4.929 gallons to get to my 5.75gal pre-boil volume.

However, I never sparge with that much water - usually I sparge with 2 to 2.5 gallons 170F water, then top up my kettle manually with water to 5.75 gallons.

So...I guess I am confused about if the OG calculations, for example, will be correct?

Does this makes sense? Basically, the program is telling me to sparge with alot more water than I usually do.

I will say that with the current setup ("Kettle top-up water" field=0gallons) the OG and FG seem to be dead-on with what I actually got with the recipe I am testing the program with.
You've got me really confused here. It sounds like you top up but you told the program you don't and you don't understand why it doesn't tell you to top up.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:49 PM   #214
gritmaster
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsme6582 View Post
You've got me really confused here. It sounds like you top up but you told the program you don't and you don't understand why it doesn't tell you to top up.

Well, I do top up, but that volume varies based on the size of the mini-mash - sometimes it might be 2.5 gallons - sometimes 1.5gallons.

I did try to give the program an average volume of 2 gallons in the top-off water field, but the estimated pre- and post-boil volumes were off, and thus so was the OG measurements.

I guess more broadly, how should one fill out the "Boiling and Water" and the "Mash Tun" portions of the "Equipment Editor" based on my situation: a small 3-gallon "mash tun", and the fact that one will top-off by default each time, but with a varying amount of water each time (based on the recipe)??

Old 09-23-2011, 02:56 AM   #215
rocketman768

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gritmaster View Post

It doesn't care if all the sparge water goes through the grain or you add it to the kettle...it's basically six one half-dozen the other as long as you are hitting the efficiency you specified. If brewtarget tells you to sparge with X gallons of water, it means "get X gallons somehow into the boil." The kettle top-up is really more useful with extract batches.

Old 09-24-2011, 12:03 AM   #216
gritmaster
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman768 View Post
It doesn't care if all the sparge water goes through the grain or you add it to the kettle...it's basically six one half-dozen the other as long as you are hitting the efficiency you specified. If brewtarget tells you to sparge with X gallons of water, it means "get X gallons somehow into the boil." The kettle top-up is really more useful with extract batches.
That makes sense....it'd be nice, like three versions from now, to accommodate partial mash brewers such that the sparge volume is calculated based on mash mass and not pre-boil volume ( maybe when mash tun volume <<< than batch volume)...I wouldn't want people to think they actually need to sparge with 4 gallons when mini-mashing and end up extracting a ton of tannins in the process.

Old 09-24-2011, 12:57 PM   #217
Dirty
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

First off. The program is awesome. Been using it since the last version and its great.

Im working on a 2 BBL system to be used for my Father, 2 brother in-laws, and myself and i have read that you get a better utilization when upscaling hop additions to large batches. Is a larger batch size taken into account into the formula when upscaling? Or at that size is it not large enough to be a concern.

Thanks and keep up the great work.

Rock Chalk

Chris

Old 09-27-2011, 01:03 AM   #218
neomantra
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Hey, just saw http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3204545&group_id=249733&atid=1126 493. Noob question...how do I know what the actual status of this? Far as I can tell it's got a priority and an assignment. Is it being worked on? What is priority #5? Just curious if this is going to be added in a future release as I'd love to see it

Old 10-14-2011, 07:48 PM   #219
natewv
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Hey what's my problem? I'm trying to download this and when I doubleclick on brewtarget.exe in the zip file I get this error (see link). I have downloaded it from the sourceforge website 3 times and unzipped it with 7zip and each time there's an error.

http://i.imgur.com/MkFvO.jpg

Old 10-15-2011, 01:53 PM   #220
kapribadi
Recipes 

does this software work with cider?

Thanks.

Quick Reply