Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > Brewtarget 1.2.3 - Free Open Source Brewing Software

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2011, 03:34 PM   #11
brettwasbtd
Awesomeness Award Winnner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Maybe a stupid question, but if I added some ingredients (yeast and grain) In my 1.2.2 version, should I copy the 1.2.2. database, or go through the xml and add it to the 1.2.3. file? I guess I am asking if there have been updates to the ingredients section? Let me know if I am not making sense

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2011, 03:44 PM   #12
brettwasbtd
Awesomeness Award Winnner

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettwasbtd View Post
Maybe a stupid question, but if I added some ingredients (yeast and grain) In my 1.2.2 version, should I copy the 1.2.2. database, or go through the xml and add it to the 1.2.3. file? I guess I am asking if there have been updates to the ingredients section? Let me know if I am not making sense
Nevermind, i guess that is all tracked in recipes.xml? Cause that is the only thing I copied over and it looks like everything is there.

Old 03-21-2011, 04:10 PM   #13
rocketman768

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettwasbtd View Post
Nevermind, i guess that is all tracked in recipes.xml? Cause that is the only thing I copied over and it looks like everything is there.
Yeah, as long as you keep your recipes.xml file, then your ingredients that you put into the recipes won't go missing.

Old 03-21-2011, 07:06 PM   #14
Pennsyltucky
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvcjbl View Post
On mac as soon as I try to resize the screen it jumps to the left and then locks itself from being resized again
Subscribed...

I have the same problem.

Old 03-21-2011, 07:11 PM   #15
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Any chance you could port it over for use on BlackBerries? Compatibility with the OS version 5.x would be sweet...

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 03-21-2011, 08:29 PM   #16
rocketman768

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
Any chance you could port it over for use on BlackBerries? Compatibility with the OS version 5.x would be sweet...
Where is Randar?

Old 03-21-2011, 09:47 PM   #17
sakeyfour
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Down loaded the new version for Mac 10.6 and I have few comments/observations:

1. I like the tabs for extras and brewday

2. In the Mac version i can not resize the main window. It will only move between 5 to 6 inches wide.

3. Would like to see a way to keep track of actual numbers (OG, SG, FG) for each time I brew a recipe without having to add another version of the recipe to the list.

Love the software. Keep up the good work.

p.s. if you get really ambitious you could make a way to sync to ipod or android. You know build recipe on the computer and use the ipod/phone on brewday.

Old 03-21-2011, 10:02 PM   #18
rocketman768

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakeyfour View Post
2. In the Mac version i can not resize the main window. It will only move between 5 to 6 inches wide.

3. Would like to see a way to keep track of actual numbers (OG, SG, FG) for each time I brew a recipe without having to add another version of the recipe to the list.

Love the software. Keep up the good work.

p.s. if you get really ambitious you could make a way to sync to ipod or android. You know build recipe on the computer and use the ipod/phone on brewday.
For #2, see above posts.

#3 is the focus of the next version. Brew logs and keeping track of your performance on your batches.

For the last one, yep. Definitely going to integrate brewtarget with Dropbox or something similar so that you can open it from whichever device and always see the same recipes.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:14 AM   #19
andrewdixon1000
Recipes 

Firstly, thanks for the great software Rocketman.

My question is regarding beer/grain colour. For a while now I've been trying to get my head around EBC/SRM/Lovibond. It seems that a lot of the time people assume SRM and Lovibond are the same thing. But from what I've been reading they are two different things, although they do agree quite closely at the low end, ie for pale colours. Looking at the Brewtarget fermentables database I see that you list the SRM colour for Crystal malts as the same as their lovibond rating, eg Crystal 120L = 120 SRM. Could you give me a quick run down on how Brewtarget handles these colours.

The main reason I ask is because here in New Zealand most of our malts come from Europe and the spec sheets tend to specify colour in EBC. But I tend to brew recipes from US sources (Brewing Classic Styles in particular) where colour is specified in Lovibond. I would love to get a definitive answer on how I should go about converting these EBC values for use in Brewtarget.

(BTW I tried changing the settings in Brewtarget to use EBC for colour but everything is still listed as SRM)

Thanks a lot
Andy

Old 03-22-2011, 12:33 AM   #20
rocketman768

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewdixon1000 View Post
Could you give me a quick run down on how Brewtarget handles these colours.
I'll break down all the calculations:
MCU (malt color units) = X (lb/gal) * Y (MCU/(lb/gal))
X is the concentration of the grain in the batch
Y is the Lovibond color.
==Morey==
SRM = 1.4922 * MCU^0.6859
==Daniel==
SRM = 0.2 * MCU + 8.4
==Mosher==
SRM = 0.3 * MCU + 4.7

Quote:
The main reason I ask is because here in New Zealand most of our malts come from Europe and the spec sheets tend to specify colour in EBC. But I tend to brew recipes from US sources (Brewing Classic Styles in particular) where colour is specified in Lovibond. I would love to get a definitive answer on how I should go about converting these EBC values for use in Brewtarget.

(BTW I tried changing the settings in Brewtarget to use EBC for colour but everything is still listed as SRM)
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but SRM and EBC refer to the color of the finished beer only (which is why they are defined by the absorbance at 430 nm of the beer itself). As far as I know, they do not measure the color potential of the grain. This is why when you select the EBC option, what changes in brewtarget is the number on the color display for the recipe.

To be honest, I'm not sure what European malts are using to show color potential. Is it something like MCUs / (kg/L) or something? Someone who has more experience should comment here.

Quick Reply