Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > Brewtarget 1.2.2 - Free Open Source Brewing Software

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2010, 02:38 AM   #1
rocketman768
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts

Default Brewtarget 1.2.2 - Free Open Source Brewing Software

This is the release of Brewtarget 1.2.2. As always, it's completely free and open source (donations very much appreciated!). It works on linux, windows, mac, and more. It's compatible with recipes by software that use BeerXML like Beersmith. In case you're unfamiliar with brewtarget, see the 1.1 thread or the 1.2 thread.

Download it here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/brewtarget/

By the way, is anyone interested in making a short demo video for me like
? I would really appreciate it!

New Features
  • More calculators, such as pitch rate, refractometer tools, and a simple unit conversion tool.
  • Advanced mash designer tool (this one is really cool imho).
  • Can show all OG/FG as Plato/Brix/Balling instead of specific gravity.
  • More detailed ingredient descriptions and uses.
  • Lot of fixes and improvements.

There are a lot more, but I can't think of them right now.

Windows Installation
Unzip to wherever. Right click "brewtarget.exe" and then "Send to desktop" or any other method to make a shortcut on your desktop.

Mac Installation
Unzip the app to wherever. You need to have the Qt 4.6.2 (or greater) runtime library installed. Go here: http://qt.nokia.com/downloads then LGPL, then Framework Only. NOTE: there is a problem with some of the Qt versions for mac (including 4.6.0), in that they are missing a few essential components (QtDBus libraries). This is a bug with Qt that I have no control over, but has been fixed since 4.6.2.

Linux Installation
Download the .deb and use dpkg to install as usual. You need to install the libraries for Qt 4.6 or above, as well as Phonon. If you can't use dpkg, you probably want the .tar.bz2 download, which is the source. The build process is the standard "./configure && make && make install". There is also a debian source package available if you want to build a debian package on a different architecture than i386.

Getting Started
Before you do ANYTHING, please go through the example recipe in About->Manual. This example tries to hit on all the features and how to use brewtarget in general.

Importing Recipes From Old Versions
You can export your recipes from the old version and import them into the new one. Instead of exporting them one by one, you can do File->Export Database in the old version. This will create 3 files (database.xml, recipes.xml, and mashs.xml). Then in the new version, you can do File->Import Recipes and choose the recipes.xml file.

Ongoing Translations
I am preparing to release translations of the software, and I currently have translations for Croatian and French. However, I need help translating to other languages (especially like German, Spanish, and other major languages). You only need to be fluent in both English and another language. You need no programming experience. Keep in mind that you have to know all the beer jargon like "wort," "hops," "decoction," etc. There are about 700 short phrases to translate. If you're interested in doing this for a language, PM me your email address, and I'll send you more details. There's no deadline; you just work on it when you have time.

Bug Reports/Feature Requests
If you have a account, please report any bugs or feature requests on our feature tracker. Otherwise, just post them on here.

Want to Help Out?
Get an account at sourceforge.net and PM me if you want to be a developer on the project. C++ experience is required. If you do not already know what the phrase "model-view-controller" means, then you are probably not ready yet. Otherwise, you are welcome to use subversion to check out and modify the current code. If you modify the code and want to submit the changes, just let me know.

Anyway, enjoy!

GetLooseontheGoose Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2010, 12:46 PM   #2
Carter1932
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Before I install the new version I'm curious whether the recipes I've saved from previous version will remain intact, or whether they will be wiped out.

If they will be wiped out can I assume that exporting recipe from old version and importing into new version will work?

Thanks for your hard work on this outstanding application.

Kegged: Trippel, Cream Stout, Belgian IPA '13, Nut Brown Ale, Am. Amber, Hot Walker Pale Ale

Reason: grammar

Old 06-29-2010, 01:08 PM   #3
Graeme
Recipes 

Downloaded this today and put a recipe through it to see how it runs. The interface is really good and it's pretty user friendly, only thing I would say is that the UK measurements options don't seem to be fully in place, for example I can't amend hop measurements to grams, nor can I amend my grain to Kg. It's a bit of a pain having to convert them. Also, in regards the mash options (I didn't get that far) does it calculate strike water quantity/temp etc? thanks!

Old 06-29-2010, 02:02 PM   #4
Ichthy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Rocket

Great job once again! I love the new mash editor and you even put a pitching calculator in it!!! Can't wait to formulate some new recipes and brew with the new version.

Thanks again!

Old 06-29-2010, 02:09 PM   #5
rocketman768

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter1932 View Post
Before I install the new version I'm curious whether the recipes I've saved from previous version will remain intact, or whether they will be wiped out.

If they will be wiped out can I assume that exporting recipe from old version and importing into new version will work?

Thanks for your hard work on this outstanding application.
Yup. You can just export your recipes from the old version and import them into the new one. Instead of exporting them one by one, you can do File->Export Database in the old version. This will create 3 files (database.xml, recipes.xml, and mashs.xml). Then in the new version, you can do File->Import Recipes and choose the recipes.xml file.

Old 06-29-2010, 02:15 PM   #6
rocketman768

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme View Post
Downloaded this today and put a recipe through it to see how it runs. The interface is really good and it's pretty user friendly, only thing I would say is that the UK measurements options don't seem to be fully in place, for example I can't amend hop measurements to grams, nor can I amend my grain to Kg. It's a bit of a pain having to convert them. Also, in regards the mash options (I didn't get that far) does it calculate strike water quantity/temp etc? thanks!
If you want to display all the mass/weight quantities in metric units, you can select the "Use SI Units" button in the weight section of the options dialog. If this isn't what you're looking for, let me know.

The mash calculators do indeed calculate strike water quantities and temps. See the manual included in About->Manual for details.

Old 06-29-2010, 02:18 PM   #7
Graeme
Recipes 

That's what I was looking for Rocketman, apologies, I should have been more thorough with it! I look forward to using this!

Old 06-29-2010, 09:51 PM   #8
Randar
Damn right I got da brews
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4643 Times on 4545 Posts
Likes Given: 2256

Brewing this weekend. Will have to go through it to see what you changed from that little beta version of yours. Will definitely put that refractometer tool to use this weekend during sparging.

Old 06-30-2010, 05:25 PM   #9
peanasky
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Question for you. I'm assuming in the Fermentables tab, the Yield % column is % weight of the ingredient that is fermentable? If so, why is Milk Sugar (Lactose) set at 76.1%? Shouldn't it be at 0% because it's unfermentable sugar?

Old 06-30-2010, 05:38 PM   #10
rocketman768

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanasky View Post
Question for you. I'm assuming in the Fermentables tab, the Yield % column is % weight of the ingredient that is fermentable? If so, why is Milk Sugar (Lactose) set at 76.1%? Shouldn't it be at 0% because it's unfermentable sugar?
Yield refers to the percentage of equivalent glucose by mass as far as measuring the specific gravity is concerned. In other words, if you put X lbs of lactose in Y gallons of water, it will raise the gravity as if you had added 0.761 * X lbs of glucose in Y gallons of water.

However, since we're using the BeerXML standard to be compatible with beersmith, there's not a good way to tell the program that this sugar adds to the OG, but is unfermentable. So, if you prefer setting the yield for lactose to 0, then you can do that. Either way, just be aware that your OG/FG/ABV might be a little off.

Quick Reply