Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > Brewtarget 1.1 - Free open source brewing software

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2009, 12:30 AM   #1
rocketman768
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts

Default Brewtarget 1.1 - Free open source brewing software

After using it to completely nail my volumes, OG, mash temps, etc. on my last batch, I think brewtarget 1.1 is ready for the public. It is completely free, compatible with Beersmith, and open source. I have provided a windows version, mac version, and the source code at the download page: Download here.

Main Features

• Brewday mode: generates a set of instructions and timers so that you're not running around like crazy on brew day.
  • Automatic mash temperature/volume calculations: nail your mash temps and pre-boil volume so that you always end up with the right amount of beer at the end.
  • Style checking: make sure you're recipe will meet guidelines.
  • Automatic unit conversion: enter and display measurements in whatever units you like. Enter 1.0 gal, 3.785 L, 4 qt, or 768 tsp (for example).

Here's a video of the previous version that gives you an idea of what it's about.

When you download it, please go to About->Manual and work through the simple example recipe so that you get to play with most of the features.

Call for Translators
Do you speak fluent English and another language fluently? Please PM me, because I am looking to get translations of this software. All you have to do is translate short phrases from English into the other language(s) that you speak.

Common "issues"
Using mac version, and it crashes before starting up: go here and download the Qt 4.5 free framework.

Why are the equipment volumes in teaspoons: they are not. They are in whatever units you want them to be. Enter 1.0 gal for 1 gallon. Enter 1.0 L for one liter. Enter 2088 mL for 2.088 liters. Enter (pretty much) anything you want. See the about->help.

Thanks, and hope it's useful.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2009, 12:32 AM   #2
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I am going to play with this, looks cool... does it have inventory tracking?

Old 06-11-2009, 12:40 AM   #3
SavageSteve

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Looks cool, but no likey OS X Leopard (10.5.7, PPC). Application unexpectedly quits when I try to launch it.

I can send you the error report, if you like.

-Steve

Planning: n/a

Old 06-11-2009, 12:46 AM   #4
The Pol
Recipes 

Boil off rate needs to be gals/hr. There is no such thing as %/hour. This is my pet peeve with most software, which is why I run ProMash.

Old 06-11-2009, 12:48 AM   #5
rocketman768

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavageSteve View Post
Looks cool, but no likey OS X Leopard (10.5.7, PPC). Application unexpectedly quits when I try to launch it.

I can send you the error report, if you like.

-Steve
Yeah, that would be great. Send me a PM.

I bet it's because you don't have the Qt library installed. I probably should have mentioned that requirement for macs.

Downloads — Qt - A cross-platform application and UI framework

Old 06-11-2009, 12:50 AM   #6
rocketman768

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pol View Post
Boil off rate needs to be gals/hr. There is no such thing as %/hour. This is my pet peeve with most software, which is why I run ProMash.
I know. This is also a peeve of mine. However, this is how the BeerXML format specifies the boil-off rate. So, to compromise, I took it to mean that the (boiloff percent)*(pre-boil volume) evaporates every hour.

Old 06-11-2009, 12:51 AM   #7
RC0032
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Just downloaded will report back soon

Old 06-11-2009, 01:10 AM   #8
SavageSteve

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman768 View Post
I bet it's because you don't have the Qt library installed. I probably should have mentioned that requirement for macs.

Downloads — Qt - A cross-platform application and UI framework
Bingo.

Thanks, Rocket Man!

-Steve
Planning: n/a

Old 06-11-2009, 01:25 AM   #9
The Pol
Recipes 

Why OH WHY does it compute mash thickness in L/kg???? My entire recipe is in pounds and gallons. Can it be set for qt/lb??

Okay, so I created a mash... but it is telling me thatI need 3.35 gallons of 155F water to hit a 154F mash temp? I am trying to find where I went wrong, but I am following the manual instructions.
EDIT: got this worked out, but for some reason it is showing me an OG of 1.035 when it should say 1.040

Okay, beating my head against the wall trying to figure out why it shows an OG of 1.042 (2 points high) until I create a mash, then it drops to 1.035 (5 points low). What am I doing wrong?

Old 06-11-2009, 04:40 AM   #10
rocketman768

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pol View Post
Okay, beating my head against the wall trying to figure out why it shows an OG of 1.042 (2 points high) until I create a mash, then it drops to 1.035 (5 points low). What am I doing wrong?
You're not doing anything wrong...I would guess you have some losses set up in your equipment record. Before you make a mash, all it can do is assume all the sugar you extract gets into the final product. But, when you have a mash, it can start taking into account the losses during the process, and hence, you will see a drop in the OG (assuming you still end up with the same amount of wort in the primary). If you don't want this to happen, just use the "Ideal" equipment that is already set up, or make your own with no losses.

Quick Reply