BrewR for Android

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been using this app for a while and like it but have run into a problem. What formula are the ibu's calculated with? If it is rager i think they calculate about 70% what they should be. After brewing an ipa and porter that were formulated with this app they were too bitter.
To check i took the recipe for can you brew it dechutes obsidian stout and brewr is calculating 52.9 ibus. The recipe has them at 73.4.
Am i doing something wrong?

Thanks for any help

I'm in the same boat. Is it Rager or Tinseth? It would be nice if the app enabled the user to choose which one he wants to use.

I just got a new phone (T-Mobile LG Optimus F3Q) and installed the current version of BrewR. It did't see my old recipes until I moved them to the internal storage. When I try to move the app to the sd-card that option is greyed out. Can I move it? How can I put the recipes on the sd-card? Thanks, Tim

Just installed brewr on a new device. It's giving me very high OG figures for new 'all grain' recipes. I turned on the sync feature to copy recipes across from my old device, and they all seem fine. EG. With a dopplebock recipe that should have a OG of 1.086, brewr is telling me the OG will be 1.104. Batch size is set to 20 ltrs, boil size 25ltrs, and Efficiency 75%. Not sure what else I can check/change?

Just installed brewr on a new device. It's giving me very high OG figures for new 'all grain' recipes. I turned on the sync feature to copy recipes across from my old device, and they all seem fine. EG. With a dopplebock recipe that should have a OG of 1.086, brewr is telling me the OG will be 1.104. Batch size is set to 20 ltrs, boil size 25ltrs, and Efficiency 75%. Not sure what else I can check/change?

Can you post the entire recipe? Specifically, the ingredients affecting the OG: all the malts/grains/sugars. Make sure that the gravity value of each ingredient matches that of the actual ingredient specified in the recipe. Also, in practice efficiency of 75% for big recipes like this one is rather hard to achieve.

Dopplebock Pg 88 BCS

Recipe specifics:

Style: Doppelbock
Batch size: 20.0 l
Boil volume: 25.0 l
OG: 1.104
FG: 1.026
Bitterness (IBU): 18.4
Color (SRM): 22.0
ABV: 10.3%

Grain/Sugars:

6.35 kg Munich (German), 70.1%
1.81 kg Pilsener (German), 20.0%
0.90 kg CaraMunich, 9.9%

Hops:

43.00 g Hallertauer (AA 4.0%, Pellet) 60 min, 14.7 IBU
14.00 g Hallertauer (AA 4.0%, Pellet) 30 min, 3.7 IBU

Yeast/Misc:

Lager yeast, 3.0 unit(s), Yeast 32 grams

Recipe Notes:

Mash at 67
90 minute boil

-----

The numbers you got from the app look correct: OG 1.104 / FG 1.026. Like I said though I don't believe 75% efficiency is realistic with such a big beer. Try 65% instead and you will see a more reasonable 1.090/1.023.

To prove that the app is not lying you can enter your numbers at tastybrew.com and should get the same result (I did):
http://tastybrew.com/calculators/recipe.html

Ok, interesting, I guess the 'lower efficiency when using more grains' is really going to kick in. I have got around 80% with 6kg of malt. It also makes a big difference if I select 'Munich (US)' vs 'Munich (German)'. How do you calculate the 'Gravity' that is list against each malt in Brewr? Most of my malt comes from these guys: http://www.gladfieldmalt.co.nz/the-malt/ I guess I'll need to enter their malts into Brewr and calculate this figure.

Looks like they list "extract" of the malt at 79% which corresponds to ~1.036 ppg. So you can adjust the value under Gravity of the malt and that should give you a more accurate estimate for your specific malt.

The values that come stock preloaded with BrewR are for convenience only. They represent typical values for malts available to homebrewers in the US. It is best to always adjust them per your specific malts and the app allows you to save them as custom entries in the database, available to use in other recipes.

Reading 'How to Brew" Pg 190: 'So, if we know that sugar will yield 100% of its weight as soluble sugar and that it raises the gravity of the wort by 46 ppg, then the maximum increase in gravity we can expect from pilsner base malt, at 80% solubility, is 80% of 46 or 37 ppg.'
This is the calculation you are doing? 79 percent of 46 is 36.34 giving ~1.036 ppg

Reading 'How to Brew" Pg 190: 'So, if we know that sugar will yield 100% of its weight as soluble sugar and that it raises the gravity of the wort by 46 ppg, then the maximum increase in gravity we can expect from pilsner base malt, at 80% solubility, is 80% of 46 or 37 ppg.'
This is the calculation you are doing? 79 percent of 46 is 36.34 giving ~1.036 ppg

That is correct!

Back