Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > BrewPal for iPhone- anyone else using it?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2009, 04:30 PM   #1
GoBrewers
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default BrewPal for iPhone- anyone else using it?

For my first AG brew last weekend I used this little $0.99 app and was extremely happy with it. It calculates strike and sparge volumes and temps, IBU values, provides yeast strain data, and does brix/grav/ABV calculations.

There are a few other features, too, but IMO the ones I mentioned above are the brew day essentials. I tried messing around with the free trial of beer tools pro but I couldn't get past the confusing interface.

My question for you software vets: do your programs (promash, BTP, etc) offer more useful features for all that extra $$?

GoBrewers

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2009, 08:12 PM   #2
keelanfish
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

I've been using BrewPal for my last couple all grain brew sessions as a check to some online recipe calculators. So far I've been very pleased with the results with the exception of the strike water temp calculator. I've found for my system it overshoots by about 3 or 4 degrees.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:38 PM   #3
Belmont
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm using it. I thought there was a setting for adjusting system heat loss but I don't see it. I've had some issues with that as well. I need to figure out about how off it is and adjust mentally. I use it to remind me of how much and temp of strike water and my hop schedule. Looks like he added some features with the last release. Pretty good software for $0.99. I was going to build one myself until I came across his. Saved me a lot of development time.

Old 04-09-2009, 01:11 PM   #4
jfenton78
Recipes 

I have BrewPal. I don't use it religiously, but it's fun to bang out a recipe during a meeting. For a simple formulation applications its pretty good. The only thing I'd like is to be able to do is edit the data base. I've got some grains and hops that aren't in it. But is still worth $1. Its functionality is pretty similar to Qbrew.

I'm still waiting for Kent Place to release Beer Alchemy for iphone or the program from Trouser Mac.

Old 07-30-2009, 07:29 PM   #5
macabra11
Recipes 

Does anyone know how to clear a recipe in brewpal? Every time I open it, the recipe I was working on before opens. I don't want to have to erase every setting individually to start from scratch.

- macabra11
B - double E - double R - U - N

Old 07-30-2009, 07:48 PM   #6
HarkinBanks
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macabra11 View Post
Does anyone know how to clear a recipe in brewpal? Every time I open it, the recipe I was working on before opens. I don't want to have to erase every setting individually to start from scratch.
More>Load/Save>Start a New Recipe

Old 07-30-2009, 09:07 PM   #7
Whiskey
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I use it. It is a pretty good program.

Old 07-30-2009, 09:09 PM   #8
macabra11
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarkinBanks View Post
More>Load/Save>Start a New Recipe
Sweet, thanks!

- macabra11
B - double E - double R - U - N

Old 07-31-2009, 01:15 PM   #9
keelanfish
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

I have used it on several batches now and in fact used it last night on my hefe. Software works great, but I have the same problem as others regarding strike temp. I consistently overshoot by about four degrees.

Old 08-04-2009, 03:03 PM   #10
nurlabys
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Hi everyone, I'm the developer of Brew Pal. Glad to hear you are using it on brew days

Addressing the strike temp overshoot: do you know if your grains are at the starting temp in the Mash & Sparge tab? As a workaround you could tell Brew Pal that your grains are at 90 degrees or so and it will reduce the strike temp by 3-4 degrees. You can set this option globally by changing the "Ambient Temperature" in the Settings tab. I'm almost always within one degree on my system, but then again my grain comes from a 68 degree basement! Also, there is no option for mash tun heat loss, but I might add that in a future version.

Brew strong

Dave

Quick Reply