The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > BrewingAlarm for iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2011, 03:11 PM   #21
Brooklyn-Brewtality
Four Beasts Brewery
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

There is an issue with Temperature infusions.

I use a HERMS system, so use temperature infusions for steps and mash-out. When I import my XML file, the Mash Out says to add 0.40 Gallons of 1034.2* water!

Also, my Wyeast Nutrient (1 tsp in BeerSmith) is coming up as 0.00 gallons in Brewing Alarm
And the Whirfloc (2 items in BeerSmith) is reading as 70.55 oz in Brewing Alarm

Kegged: Berlinerweisse, Dubbel, Galaxy Wheat
Bottled: Golden Strong, Mild, IIPA, Rauch
Fermenting: Saison, Imperial Wheat Stout, Brett Saison, APA, Brett Roggenbier

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2011, 04:08 PM   #22
idahoDal
Recipes 

Thanks for the bug report. I'll pm you my email and if you could send me an example XML file I'll fix it straight away.

BeerXML is a "standard" by the very very loosest definition of the term

Old 06-27-2011, 03:53 PM   #23
olefattguy
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default BeerXML import issue (from BrewTarget)

First of all kudos for the BrewingAlarm app! It's exactly what I've been looking for the moment I got an iPhone!

I have been tinkering a bit with BrewTarget, and decided I'd dream up a recipe in there, export in BeerXML format and upload (by DropBox) to my iPhone.
I formulated the partial mash recipe using FirstWortHopping, adjuncts, water improvment chemicals and dry hopping (yeah, maximum complexity of course).
The export seemed to work fine, the upload to dropbox seemed OK, the dedication of the .xml file to BrewingAlarm (in the DropBox app in the iPhone) seemed OK too, so I started up the BA app.

Oddly, there was only MY recipe (OFGIPA) in the recipe collection, the original one was gone? I clicked on it and found myself aptly returned to the main page of my iPhone, as if I had pressed the Home button...

I cannot be certain whether there is a problem with the export, the dropbox transffer or the import in BrewingAlarm, bot somewhere along the line something seems to have been corrupted. If you want the .xml file I could mail it to you, I guess or make it available on the Dropbox (after all that is one of its main purposes)...

Old 06-29-2011, 12:23 AM   #24
idahoDal
Recipes 

The problem is with BrewTarget. The first line of the XML it creates is incorrect. If enough folks use BrewTarget I could spend some more time making my app handle the bug in BrewTarget, but really you should bug the BrewTarget people (just try to open the file it creates in a browser and you'll see the error).

An update that handles BeerSmith's mash temperature style is forthcoming. Will post here when its ready.

Thanks for the feedback!

Old 06-29-2011, 01:40 PM   #25
wanlord1
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thank you for the app it is exactly what I’ve been look for however I have encountered a few problems.

First I have not be able to mail a recipe the attached file comes through as winmail.dat as filename.xml. Not sure if that’s a problem with how I have the iPhone configured or your app. But I have not had a problem imputing recipes through iPhone>App interface.

Beersmith 1.4 recipes load but items like “immersion chiller” 1 items show as “35.27 oz” I can edit it to ”1 each” without problem in the app.

Beersmith 2.0 recipes show up but when Choosing Recipe the app just goes to the phone’s desktop.

I tried this on a iTouch with the same results.

I plan to use the app tomorrow when brewing using a Beersmith 1.4 xml file.

Again thanks for what looks like a very useful app.

Old 06-29-2011, 02:24 PM   #26
idahoDal
Recipes 

I think I know what the problem is ith the chiller. No clue about BS v2

When the app drops you back to the phone's home screen that means it could not parse the file

Could you pm me a copy of both types of files so that I have something to test?

It's a free app and I use beerToolsPro and can't really buy and test every different brewing software out there. But when issues come up I can take the XML you get and will happily test it and try to fix it.

Old 06-29-2011, 03:09 PM   #27
wanlord1
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I completely understand. I did a little more testing and I could import the beersmith 1.4 XML into BeerTools and the "each" items imported as tsp. I think this may be a default. The beersmith 2.0 file would not import. Sounds like a BeerSmith 2.0 problem.

I tried to PM the files but they are way too big. If you want me to send them to you please PM me with an email address and I'll send them.

Old 06-29-2011, 03:27 PM   #28
wanlord1
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So I did a little checking for BeerSmith 2.0 XML problems and it seems that BeerSmith is the problem. It is the "to be fixed catagory"

Old 09-15-2011, 12:50 AM   #29
JL72189
Recipes 

Is there a update for beersmith 2? I would live to use the app. Thanks!

Old 09-15-2011, 01:19 AM   #30
wanlord1
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Beersmith 2 still has not fixed it issues with XML export. BS 1.4 works fine with Brewing Alarms. I used it today and it works great. Nice simple and easy to use.

Quick Reply