Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > BrewingAlarm for iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2011, 05:49 PM   #11
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 7,972
Liked 431 Times on 352 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Default

Found a bug!

I have a first wort hop that doesn't show up in either mash or boil alarms.

__________________
weirdboy is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2011, 06:01 PM   #12
joetothemo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 452
Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD-SLIM View Post
I would recommend adding fermentation alarms...while I think it would be cumbersome to transfer my recipe, it would be worth it to me if it had reminders for when my expected fermentation should be done and or when I should add items to the fermentation. Just my two cents!
You need a hydrometer app for that functionality
__________________


In Primary:
Amarillo Pale Ale
A Stout I brewed for a guy as a lesson

In Bottles:
Jamil's Belgian Tripel
Centennial Pale Ale

On Draft:
Imperial Red Ale

joetothemo is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2011, 06:06 PM   #13
Weizenwerks
Registered User
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: , Midwest
Posts: 337
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

What does this do that BrewPal doesn't?

__________________
Weizenwerks is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2011, 06:15 PM   #14
foltster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: RDU, NC
Posts: 286
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
This is impossible to implement. You would need massive amounts of data about water chemistry and exact malt analysis, mash temps, fermentation temps, pitching rates, etc, etc. A supercomputer would have to crunch all the data. And even then, it wouldn't be right because Mother Nature is a huge wildcard variable.

I'll take a wild guess that your beer will be done fermenting somewhere between 1 and 4 weeks from the day you brew it.
Yes but it would be nice to add an alarm like "Remind me to check the gravity in 2 weeks", "should be ready to transfer", etc. Just add a calendar entry with alarm? Might not be worth the programming time but could be a handy little addition.

-Scott
__________________

Still brewing...

foltster is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2011, 07:18 PM   #15
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 7,972
Liked 431 Times on 352 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weizenwerks View Post
What does this do that BrewPal doesn't?
I couldn't get the timer in BrewPal to be useful in any way, although I suppose it's better now that you can multi-task on the iPhone. I always ended up using the regular clock app.
__________________
weirdboy is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2011, 07:19 PM   #16
uwjester
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
uwjester's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Fort Collins, CO
Posts: 736
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weizenwerks View Post
What does this do that BrewPal doesn't?
The xml import is pretty cool. I haven't seen any other app that does that.
__________________

--------------------------------------------------
This space intentionally left blank.
--------------------------------------------------

uwjester is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2011, 10:19 PM   #17
Brooklyn-Brewtality
Four Beasts Brewery
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Brooklyn-Brewtality's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 2,278
Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdboy

I couldn't get the timer in BrewPal to be useful in any way, although I suppose it's better now that you can multi-task on the iPhone. I always ended up using the regular clock app.
True for me as well. This is much much simpler.
__________________

Kegged: Berlinerweisse, Dubbel, Galaxy Wheat
Bottled: Golden Strong, Mild, IIPA, Rauch
Fermenting: Saison, Imperial Wheat Stout, Brett Saison, APA, Brett Roggenbier

Brooklyn-Brewtality is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2011, 06:07 AM   #18
idahoDal
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: airborne
Posts: 74
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdboy View Post
Found a bug!

I have a first wort hop that doesn't show up in either mash or boil alarms.
True. I suppose that addition should show up in the Recipe screen, but there isn't an alarm that could be associated with such an addition right?

I'll certainly fix it for the recipe page but it will not show up on the Boil or Mash page... If you have to add something between the mash and the boil there isn't any type of alarm that can honestly make that remind you?

Unless you all want the app to be so specific that you get 3 minutes to add each infusion and then get 20 minutes to sparge before your boil begins etc. I thought that given the way I brew, things kinda happen... well kinda when they happen.

Biggest surprise today is that no one has asked for a "pause" function. Aw crap, I did XXX or forgot YYY and need for the hops timers to take a pause... That is my major focus for v1.1 I'm just having UI problems with making that happen. Code-wise its easy, making it make sense to the user is honestly hard...

Y'all like the Whirlfloc preference? That was a last minute addition on account of me and and Folster forget that all the time.

Btw.

Gotta give huge props.

Walker provided the main Icon and Folster tweaked the mash icon.

Seriously huge props. Thanks guys.
__________________
idahoDal is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2011, 06:12 AM   #19
idahoDal
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: airborne
Posts: 74
Default Q

Btw, this weekend I unfortunately want to hear from y'all who's BeerXML import didn't work :-\

Its a standard by the very loosest interpretation of the term and I didn't bother to try to be very good and flexible.

Please let me know what your application exports if it fails so that I can add some decent generic handling of that issue to the app. Post your BeerXml file here if you can.

It only gets better if I have a good QA team which I realize is in no way fair... but you do get what you pay for ;-)

Huge thanks for all the posts today. Far more than I expected for a learning exercise.

__________________
idahoDal is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2011, 01:37 PM   #20
foltster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: RDU, NC
Posts: 286
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by idahoDal View Post
True. I suppose that addition should show up in the Recipe screen, but there isn't an alarm that could be associated with such an addition right?

I'll certainly fix it for the recipe page but it will not show up on the Boil or Mash page... If you have to add something between the mash and the boil there isn't any type of alarm that can honestly make that remind you?

Unless you all want the app to be so specific that you get 3 minutes to add each infusion and then get 20 minutes to sparge before your boil begins etc. I thought that given the way I brew, things kinda happen... well kinda when they happen.

Biggest surprise today is that no one has asked for a "pause" function. Aw crap, I did XXX or forgot YYY and need for the hops timers to take a pause... That is my major focus for v1.1 I'm just having UI problems with making that happen. Code-wise its easy, making it make sense to the user is honestly hard...

Y'all like the Whirlfloc preference? That was a last minute addition on account of me and and Folster forget that all the time.

Btw.

Gotta give huge props.

Walker provided the main Icon and Folster tweaked the mash icon.

Seriously huge props. Thanks guys.
Add it at the end of the mash maybe? When you start sparging is when you add those hops anyway, generally speaking...
__________________

Still brewing...

foltster is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Timer for iPad egaberik Brewing Software 4 04-02-2011 01:01 AM
iPad app Maltose Brewing Software 0 01-28-2011 01:25 AM
Anyone know how to make an Iphone/Ipod app?? DemonCleaner Brewing Software 6 09-26-2009 05:22 PM
free spargepal and brewpal for ipod iphone ftlstrings Brewing Software 6 02-19-2009 05:59 PM
Free iphone/ipod touch app - Sparge Pal MaxPower49 Brewing Software 7 02-05-2009 12:24 AM