brewhouse effciency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerhound28

Reaction score
Hello
can someone explain how to figure out brewhouse effciency? I have a 10 gallon round igloo cooler with water supply braid

The best way to calculate efficiency is with software.

Here is an article from Beersmith:

http://www.beersmith.com/blog/2008/10/26/brewhouse-efficiency-for-all-grain-beer-brewing/

Here is an online calculator: (edit changed calculator due to my mistake)

http://www.brewersfriend.com/brewhouse-efficiency
cool thanks...so everytime a brew a new style with different OG..i would use this calculator before i put the data into beersmith?.in other words i have to change the brewhouse effciency on beersmth for different recipes..BHE is always different depending on wort volume ,OG, grain bill correct?..thank you

No. Efficiency is a measurement personal to you and your equipment. Each time you brew an all grain batch you measure the volume of the wort going into the fermenter and the specific gravity of that wort as well. Then use the calculator to see what brew house efficiency you achieved. Use that brew house efficiency value the next time you design a recipe to better predict what your OG will be.

When you get a recipe online or in a book it will have an efficiency assumption. You replace that assumption with your actual efficiency and change grain weights accordingly to hit the target OG with your brew system.

No. Efficiency is a measurement personal to you and your equipment. Each time you brew an all grain batch you measure the volume of the wort going into the fermenter and the specific gravity of that wort as well. Then use the calculator to see what brew house efficiency you achieved. Use that brew house efficiency value the next time you design a recipe to better predict what your OG will be.

When you get a recipe online or in a book it will have an efficiency assumption. You replace that assumption with your actual efficiency and change grain weights accordingly to hit the target OG with your brew system.
Awesome...thanks alot ..i am pretty sure i understand now.. cheers

Back