Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > BrewersFriend

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2012, 05:48 PM   #11
larrybrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTL View Post
I've been using brewers friend for awhile and I love it. I do have a question though. Wen I add acidulated malt to a recipe it doesn't affect the estimated mash PH as much as it does in the bru n water spreadsheet. Do you use a different equation for estimating acidity? Also if the water chemistry could be viewed as part of the recipe builder it would be easier to see how changes affect the mash chemistry. Right now I click brew to get to the water chemistry tab then if I want to change the grain bill (i.e. add acidulated malt) I have to edit the recipe, then it's no longer tied to that brew session and salt additions have to be redone.
After editing the recipe you can 'rebuild' the brew under the edit tab on the brew session. The current version of the pH calculation however does not factor in acidulated malt. The good news is, Kaiser and the BF team are working on a state of the art water chemistry calculator! We hope to have that launched in the first part of next year.

Quote:
A friend of mine tried to convince me to switch to beer smith and he ended up switching to brewers friend after we did comparisons.
Very glad to hear it! That is like an early xmas gift.

Cheers,
Larry

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 07:42 PM   #12
RTL
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrybrewer View Post
After editing the recipe you can 'rebuild' the brew under the edit tab on the brew session. The current version of the pH calculation however does not factor in acidulated malt. The good news is, Kaiser and the BF team are working on a state of the art water chemistry calculator! We hope to have that launched in the first part of next year.

Very glad to hear it! That is like an early xmas gift.

Cheers,
Larry
Thanks for the info, I will keep using the spreadsheet then until you guys get that one released. Keep up the good work.

Old 01-21-2013, 05:05 PM   #13
detonate
Recipes 

Bumping for awesomeness.

We've been using Brewer'sFriend now for a few months and really liking it.
Keep up the good work, more than happy to pay the minimal annual subscription.

Old 01-21-2013, 05:47 PM   #14
larrybrewer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by detonate View Post
Bumping for awesomeness.

We've been using Brewer'sFriend now for a few months and really liking it.
Keep up the good work, more than happy to pay the minimal annual subscription.
Thank you! It is great to see people all over the world using it, and succeeding in their brewing endeavors. Building in metric support from day one was a priority.

Old 01-31-2013, 12:21 AM   #15
stikks
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrybrewer View Post
Thank you! It is great to see people all over the world using it, and succeeding in their brewing endeavors. Building in metric support from day one was a priority.

Hi Larry,Stikks here.The site gets better and better as time goes by.I wasn`t
aware you were a member here at HBT.I hope you can get the fly sparge option
going as long as the interest is there.Keep up the good work.

Cheers

Old 01-31-2013, 02:23 AM   #16
larrybrewer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I don't watch HBT that closely, but when I notice a thread I respond.

As for fly sparing, I think that may have been mentioned in the feature request forum, feel free to bump it or start a new thread if one doesn't exist. A lot of activity has been going on in the feature request forum lately. Every time we knock something out, a new request pops up!

Old 02-07-2013, 03:02 PM   #17
ianmatth
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Hi Larry, I had a question about the IBU calculator. It says: For a 5.5 gallon batch, 7 gallons is typical boil volume for all grain, 3 for extract. Does that mean I should change the boil volume to 3 gallons (55% of batch size) for extract recipes?

If I have 6.25 gallons of boiling water and add 9 lbs LME, it comes to 7 gallons, and after 60 minutes of boiling and adding hops will come down to 5.5 gallons at 1.061 OG, so the boil size is technically 7 gallons. At a boil size of 7 gallons, adding 1 oz of 12% pellet hops each at 60, 20, 15, 10, and 5 calculates to 113 IBUs. If I keep boil and batch size both at 5.5 gallons, it calculates to 100 IBUs, but if I change the boil size to 3 gallons, it calculates to 63 IBUs. That really doesn't make sense. Why would extract have so much less hop utilization than all grain, after all isn't extract really all grain wort that someone else made and then packed and sold?

Old 02-07-2013, 05:12 PM   #18
larrybrewer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianmatth View Post
Hi Larry, I had a question about the IBU calculator. It says: For a 5.5 gallon batch, 7 gallons is typical boil volume for all grain, 3 for extract. Does that mean I should change the boil volume to 3 gallons (55% of batch size) for extract recipes?

If I have 6.25 gallons of boiling water and add 9 lbs LME, it comes to 7 gallons, and after 60 minutes of boiling and adding hops will come down to 5.5 gallons at 1.061 OG, so the boil size is technically 7 gallons. At a boil size of 7 gallons, adding 1 oz of 12% pellet hops each at 60, 20, 15, 10, and 5 calculates to 113 IBUs. If I keep boil and batch size both at 5.5 gallons, it calculates to 100 IBUs, but if I change the boil size to 3 gallons, it calculates to 63 IBUs. That really doesn't make sense. Why would extract have so much less hop utilization than all grain, after all isn't extract really all grain wort that someone else made and then packed and sold?

This comes down to IBU equations and boil gravity:

There are two IBU equations available under the More... section on the recipe editor - Tinseth and Rager. As the theory goes with the Tinseth and Rager equations - boil gravity impacts hop utilization. Essentially, these scientists found a lower boil gravity leads to higher hop utilization and higher IBUs. There has been debate about this recently, but we have not seen any studies that show a different or 'better' IBU equation should be in place. If anyone has a reference please let us know.

At BF, the boil gravity is displayed under the More... button on the recipe editor, above Original Gravity on the left. A higher boil volume, keeping fermentables the same, means a lower boil gravity (since the solution is more dilute).

Just now I was fiddling with a recipe, and it looks like the Rager equation factors in the boil gravity to a lesser extent.

So, given all that background, I recommend setting the boil volume to what you plan to use on brew day. I believe the total volume should count the dissolved extract. I personally think there is some truth to this - when I was an extract brewer I noticed a bitterness boost when I switched to doing half the extract at the end of the boil (marked as a late addition in the recipe editor).

It is frustrating that there are multiple IBU 'answers', with none or all being the right one. Each brewer needs to dial in their own method and use these equations as a guideline.

Reason: Adding quote

Old 02-07-2013, 05:15 PM   #19
larrybrewer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Thanks for the info, I will keep using the spreadsheet then until you guys get that one released. Keep up the good work.
RTL - We recently released the advanced water calculator:
http://www.brewersfriend.com/mash-ch...er-calculator/

Kaiser wrote the engine that powers it.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:15 AM   #20
sethlovex
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Hi, I am using the software on an iPad, I can't find the scale recipe command referenced in the FAQ...

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS