Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > Brew Timer for Android
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2011, 03:47 AM   #61
humanjoe
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: West Hartford, CT
Posts: 33
Default

So I thought about this on my drive home from Maine tonight. A couple of things to check on to see if they could be causing these symptoms. First, if an alarm is going off in Brew Timer and another notification is fired (gmail, Twitter, etc.) the Brew Timer notification sound is ended automatically. This is the way the Android OS works. I've had an alarm go off in my testing and then an email came in a second later and killed the Brew Timer notification so I ended up never hearing it. The second thing is that if you are talking on the phone it seems Android represses the notification sounds. I'm not 100% sure on this one but my testing has shown it to be true.

Now if the first reason above is what's going on then it's not necessarily a bug but rather a scenario that I need to think out more. One idea I have is to have dialog that pops up for each notification. This dialog will keep updating the notification (every 10 seconds or so) until you dismiss it with the ok button. That way if an email does cancel the notification sound then within a few seconds it should be restarted. This will continue until you acknowledge the event.

Im really sorry that you guys ran into this issue. I really have enjoyed writting this app and it ticks me off when there's a problem that could screw up your brew day. Thanks a lot for reporting this to me. I'll get on this and try to figure out what is going on. If you guys could please give me as much information as possible on what was happening when you noticed something was amiss that would be fantastic.

BTW, for the notification that didn't make any sound, did you confirm that the notifications had gome off and was in the notification window?

Thanks again,

Adam

__________________
humanjoe is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2011, 12:59 PM   #62
hadabar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
Posts: 217
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

mine was freezing...it just wouldn't start the boil timer...or I'd get no alarm. if look at it and it would just continue on to the next event as if nothing was happening.

like I said this is just with the new addition...I had no problems before...

__________________
hadabar is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2011, 01:12 PM   #63
Jaysus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: H'burg, PA
Posts: 956
Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by solavirtus View Post
it's a little odd that it makes a bunch of notifications instead of just one when an event comes up.
now that you mention it, I recall that happening to me for one of my alarms during my last brewday. I had been messing with the settings mid brew (specifically the single vs continuous alert option), after I noticed the multiple notification icons, i set the alerts back to how they were, and it did not reoccur.

I had either 5 or 6 entries on the schedule I used. I just wrote it off as a fluke at the time.
__________________
Jaysus is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2011, 03:32 PM   #64
humanjoe
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: West Hartford, CT
Posts: 33
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by solavirtus View Post
The only negative thing I can say is that it's a little odd that it makes a bunch of notifications instead of just one when an event comes up. That's really minor, but I thought it might be useful. It would make more sense to have single notification in the pulldown menu, with a repeating sound.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysus View Post
now that you mention it, I recall that happening to me for one of my alarms during my last brewday. I had been messing with the settings mid brew (specifically the single vs continuous alert option), after I noticed the multiple notification icons, i set the alerts back to how they were, and it did not reoccur. I had either 5 or 6 entries on the schedule I used. I just wrote it off as a fluke at the time.
So when you guys say there are multiple notifications do you mean if you had an event like “Aroma Hops” that there would be 5 or 6 entries for “Aroma Hops” in the Notification Menu? If that is so, I have seen that before in my testing but was never able to reproduce it. I thought it might be something related to my testing but it seems like it might be something more. Does it affect the results at all or is it just an inconvenience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitterbrush View Post
Had a mash timing with a step time for my flame on to get my sparge water up to temp. I didn't get an alarm at the step and missed that by 5 minutes (good thing I was watching the time). Then at the end of the mash time there was no alarm and the icon in the notification window just went away at the end. All my alarm volumes were good.
Just because I want to make sure I’m addressing everyone’s concerns I want to make sure I get the information on what is happening. So it seemed like all the events happened on time but the event sounds weren’t playing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadabar View Post
I've had problems with mine too lately ever since the last update...it freezes, missed addition times...idk what happened... this did rock
Quote:
Originally Posted by hadabar View Post
mine was freezing...it just wouldn't start the boil timer...or I'd get no alarm. if look at it and it would just continue on to the next event as if nothing was happening.
This is the one that bothers me. I have never seen any freezes at all in my testing. Can you tell me what phone you use? What version of Android is running on it? Does it come back after a freeze? If you could give me a description of what was happening during the freeze I’ll try to replicate it.

On a side note, if you guys are seeing any crashes you can enable the crash reporting in the App’s options. When a crash happens it sends a me a report that was the trace of what the app was doing, your Android version and phone model. If information can help me figure out exactly where the app crashed and fix it.
__________________
humanjoe is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2011, 07:26 PM   #65
Bitterbrush
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Central Oregon
Posts: 115
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

All my events were timing down and ending OK but I was not getting any alarms. There was only one icon in my notification window and that was for the brew timer. When the event ended it did not add another icon to the notification window and sound an alarm like it did the first time I used it, before the update. When the event ended it just went on to the next like it should. When the timer was finished it didn't alarm and the icon in the notification window disappeared.

__________________
Bitterbrush is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2011, 08:31 PM   #66
hadabar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
Posts: 217
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

well I'm using a samsung captivate...

I would start my boil timer and it does its count down letting you know it is beginning...it would start...if look a few min later and its back at 60 and no buttons work on it...this hadn't happened every time just 2. I do run app killer. could that do something? I have it setup not to auto kill..

I have just 4 additions staggered though out the boil nothing crazy...

I don't want you to stress too hard...I'm not mad at you.

btw...

i897UJH7 -base band version

2.1 - update 1, firm ware version

__________________
hadabar is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2011, 09:51 PM   #67
solavirtus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan
Posts: 227
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by humanjoe View Post
So when you guys say there are multiple notifications do you mean if you had an event like “Aroma Hops” that there would be 5 or 6 entries for “Aroma Hops” in the Notification Menu? If that is so, I have seen that before in my testing but was never able to reproduce it. I thought it might be something related to my testing but it seems like it might be something more. Does it affect the results at all or is it just an inconvenience?
For me, it was as you described here. There would be 5 or 6 entries in the notification menu. No problems caused, just a minor inconvenience. It definitely won't stop me from using the app again.

I really appreciate the work you seem to be putting into this!
__________________
solavirtus is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2011, 02:49 AM   #68
humanjoe
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: West Hartford, CT
Posts: 33
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitterbrush View Post
All my events were timing down and ending OK but I was not getting any alarms. There was only one icon in my notification window and that was for the brew timer. When the event ended it did not add another icon to the notification window and sound an alarm like it did the first time I used it, before the update. When the event ended it just went on to the next like it should. When the timer was finished it didn't alarm and the icon in the notification window disappeared.
Does it do this every time you use it? Have you tried to create a new profile to see if it still happens?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadabar View Post
well I'm using a samsung captivate...
I would start my boil timer and it does its count down letting you know it is beginning...it would start...if look a few min later and its back at 60 and no buttons work on it...this hadn't happened every time just 2. I do run app killer. could that do something? I have it setup not to auto kill..
Was the App Killer set up to not kill it the 2 times it happened? I could see the App Killer causing some problems. The Brew Timer is meant to stay as real time as possible since it’s a timer. Killing it mid process could cause issues. I’ll get some of the stats on the Captivate and see if I can set up an emulator to replicate the problem. I’ll also see what happens if I hit it with an app killer..

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadabar View Post
I have just 4 additions staggered though out the boil nothing crazy...
I don't want you to stress too hard...I'm not mad at you.
Not stressed (much) I just to make sure this thing is running right for you guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solavirtus View Post
For me, it was as you described here. There would be 5 or 6 entries in the notification menu. No problems caused, just a minor inconvenience. It definitely won't stop me from using the app again.
I really appreciate the work you seem to be putting into this!
I have seen that before. I’ll start trying to figure this one out.

Thanks again guys,
Adam
__________________
humanjoe is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2011, 04:54 AM   #69
hadabar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
Posts: 217
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

it runs always but I always allow it to bypass the brew timer....

would it cancel notifications too?

__________________
hadabar is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2011, 05:15 AM   #70
Bitterbrush
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Central Oregon
Posts: 115
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by humanjoe View Post
Does it do this every time you use it? Have you tried to create a new profile to see if it still happens?


Thanks again guys,
Adam
I just made a test profile with one event and the alarms worked perfectly. I don't know?? I appreciate all your work on this Adam, just not sure if I can trust it.. I want to use it but man I was frustrated when the alarms didn't go off with the mash yesterday. I had to run in the house and get the laptop and quickly setup the timer on it before my boil started.. I don't think I even cussed.
__________________
Bitterbrush is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Any brew-software for Android? Baja_Brewer Brewing Software 195 06-15-2011 09:02 AM
Simple Brew Timer (working version!) Yuri_Rage Brewing Software 98 04-12-2011 11:35 PM
Best program for Android? Oregonducks10 Brewing Software 6 02-24-2011 03:02 AM
HTC Evo/Android software riored4v Brewing Software 8 06-12-2010 11:06 AM
Motorola Droid Brew Timer SAMPLER Brewing Software 10 05-17-2010 01:04 AM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS