Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > Brew Timer for Android

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2011, 06:45 PM   #51
solavirtus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

The app looks promising, and I'm going to use it the first time tomorrow. I'll post about how it goes.

Edit: Downloaded and created the schedule I'll be using tomorrow, and I really like it so far. I like being able to add whatever I want. The interface is easy to understand and use.

Suggestion: How about adding another category of timer for the mash? It seems easy enough to adapt the boil schedule to use for a simple infusion mash, which is what I'm going to try.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2011, 12:46 AM   #52
humanjoe
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by solavirtus View Post
Suggestion: How about adding another category of timer for the mash? It seems easy enough to adapt the boil schedule to use for a simple infusion mash, which is what I'm going to try.
Thanks for giving my app a try!!!

I was thinking about this. There several ways I could go with the layout and design. What do people think? Do you want a different "mode" it goes into for mash schedule? Or something different? I would love to hear your ideas. I'm working on an idea right now but still in the design phase.

Adam

Old 05-14-2011, 01:52 AM   #53
Bitterbrush
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I just added another profile for each timer I needed; mash, mashout and aeration. But having a different timer mode that doesn't have the 'MTB', 'MTS, and 'MTE' would be good. What the alarm says at the end of the event could be linked to the profile name, instead of "Boil Complete", "The Boil has ended"?

MTS.. minutes to steep, what is that for? I don't know of anyone steeping their boil?

Thanks for the great timer! I'm going to use it again tomorrow on a Rye IPA.

Old 05-14-2011, 02:19 AM   #54
humanjoe
Recipes 

The minutes to steep (MTS) is used for spices or anything else you want to sit the the wort after the boil ends. A lot of my spiced beers call for cinnamon or something like that to be dropped in when the boil is over and then to steep it for 5, 10 minutes, etc. Some fruits I've added I'll drop in the boil with 1 minute or so remaining and then I'll let it steep an additional 5-15 minutes or so. Does that make sense?

Adam

Old 05-14-2011, 03:37 AM   #55
Bitterbrush
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by humanjoe View Post
The minutes to steep (MTS) is used for spices or anything else you want to sit the the wort after the boil ends. A lot of my spiced beers call for cinnamon or something like that to be dropped in when the boil is over and then to steep it for 5, 10 minutes, etc. Some fruits I've added I'll drop in the boil with 1 minute or so remaining and then I'll let it steep an additional 5-15 minutes or so. Does that make sense?

Adam
That makes perfect sense Adam. I can see how it would be beneficial to someone that adds spices, etc.

Old 05-14-2011, 05:31 AM   #56
solavirtus
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Alright, so my update after by brew session today:
The app worked really well. Hands down the best brew timer I've used. I"ll definitely be using it again next brew day.

The only negative thing I can say is that it's a little odd that it makes a bunch of notifications instead of just one when an event comes up. That's really minor, but I thought it might be useful. It would make more sense to have single notification in the pulldown menu, with a repeating sound.

As far as a mash schedule timer, I would think something similar to the boil timer would work pretty well. The only thing is that during a mash, there are a lot of different methods that don't take predetermined times (a decoction step which depends on equipment, or a fly sparge that might go fast or slow depending). In that way, it might a little tough...

Old 05-14-2011, 11:06 PM   #57
Bitterbrush
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Had to stop using this timer and go back to my laptop and Brewery Timer.

Had a mash timing with a step time for my flame on to get my sparge water up to temp. I didn't get an alarm at the step and missed that by 5 minutes (good thing I was watching the time). Then at the end of the mash time there was no alarm and the icon in the notification window just went away at the end. All my alarm volumes were good.

Old 05-14-2011, 11:14 PM   #58
hadabar
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've had problems with mine too lately ever since the last update...it freezes, missed addition times...idk what happened... this did rock

Old 05-14-2011, 11:37 PM   #59
humanjoe
Recipes 

Hmmm did you get crashes? Or did it just not fire off an alarm? Is it the most recent version (0.9.45)? I haven't seen any behavior like that. If you don't mind could you give me an idea what your profile was like and what had happened during the session.

Thanks and I'll start figuring this out ASAP.

Adam

Old 05-15-2011, 01:56 AM   #60
solavirtus
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Oh, that reminds me, I don't think I got an alarm for the end of the boil when I used it. My profile was pretty simple, about 4 events for adding hops, irish moss, chiller, etc. It was a 100 minute boil time. I was watching it at the end anyway, so it didn't cause any problems.

Quick Reply