Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > Brew Target

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2013, 05:26 AM   #1
BawiraBeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Brew Target

A free software that works just great.. You should try it...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 09:03 PM   #2
Randar
Damn right I got da brews
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4646 Times on 4548 Posts
Likes Given: 2267

Quote:
Originally Posted by BawiraBeer View Post
A free software that works just great.. You should try it...
I've heard version 2.0 will be out soon!

Love it, a great program and we (as industrious homebrewers) should do more to promote open source freeware projects like this!

Get rich or get sandy trying...-AZ_IPA

Randar, send me some of your hot fluids, so that I can put them in my mouth.-TowsonTiger22

I feel like I may need to take a stroll around gen pop and say hi to my subjects.-Ace_Club

Old 01-17-2013, 05:54 PM   #3
flushdrew42
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

i just downloaded brewtarget.

just plugged in a few of my recipes, first trying to use the "Beer XML" import from QBrew, which is what i use currently. When i did this, it made all of my numbers extremely high. like to the point of saying my regularly 1.055 SG, and 23IBU american wheat would come out with a SG of 1.157 and an IBU of 90.

so, i tried just creating the recipe from scratch. plugged in my equipment in the equipment section, and then my ingredients exactly as they are in QBrew. efficiencies the same etc, boil times, mash times, hop additions everything. with a result of BrewTarget saying my SG would be .007 high at 1.062, and my IBUs at 26.7.

anyone have any idea about this? my Qbrew results have always been spot on with the recipes, and i'm just surprised by the difference. ABV would be 6.1 according to BrewTarget and 5.4 by Qbrew.

i really like the layout of the BrewTarget, and I want to be able to learn to closer calculate my mash stats, like absorption and temp loss etc, which QBrew doesn't do. but i just want to make sure that i'm on the right track.

thanks!

Drew
off suit brewing
grand island, nebraska
------------------------------
On Deck: APA
Primary:
Secondary: Cascadian IPA

Kegged: Heart Flush Irish Red Ale, Oatmeal Stout, American Wheat

Old 01-17-2013, 06:09 PM   #4
mb82
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 32

With some setting up Brewtarget has gotten me just about dead on. When what it expects has been different from what came out generally has been due to the idiot on the other side of the screen not telling it the correct AA% on hops or not listening to it when it comes to volumes.
It takes some playing with to get dialed in to your equipment, but then again I think most brewing software takes that.
About the only part I question is the color. They seem to be right but according to it I won't ever be able to have a Pale colored beer, they always end up in the lower end of Amber. Not a big deal really, beer color is not that important to me.

Primary: House Bitter
Bottled: Can't keep track
Up coming beers:

Old 01-17-2013, 06:58 PM   #5
Hermit
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by flushdrew42 View Post
i just downloaded brewtarget.

just plugged in a few of my recipes, first trying to use the "Beer XML" import from QBrew, which is what i use currently. When i did this, it made all of my numbers extremely high. like to the point of saying my regularly 1.055 SG, and 23IBU american wheat would come out with a SG of 1.157 and an IBU of 90.

so, i tried just creating the recipe from scratch. plugged in my equipment in the equipment section, and then my ingredients exactly as they are in QBrew. efficiencies the same etc, boil times, mash times, hop additions everything. with a result of BrewTarget saying my SG would be .007 high at 1.062, and my IBUs at 26.7.

anyone have any idea about this? my Qbrew results have always been spot on with the recipes, and i'm just surprised by the difference. ABV would be 6.1 according to BrewTarget and 5.4 by Qbrew.

i really like the layout of the BrewTarget, and I want to be able to learn to closer calculate my mash stats, like absorption and temp loss etc, which QBrew doesn't do. but i just want to make sure that i'm on the right track.

thanks!
I just use BrewTarget for recipe formulation but it works fine for me. I'd guess something is off with the equipment setting somehow. Just my guess.

Quick Reply