The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > Brew Pal software in the iTunes App Store

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2009, 05:13 PM   #31
Whiskey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Picked up my shiny new 3gS yesterday and this was the first app I downloaded, looks great, cant wait to use it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2009, 02:30 PM   #32
Elfmaze
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

i make ciders right now. But i am going to try some beers as well this year. The main calculators i need are how much sugar to add per volume to raise the SG to the needed initial SG. Can Brew pal do these calculations as well for wine stuff?
So far i am using Winecalc for the PC.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:35 AM   #33
rcm_rx7
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I haven't seen that in Brew Pal.

I just wanted to add that I love this program. I used the trial of beersmith for my previous two brews and just used Brew Pal on my last Centennial Blonde. So much better than beersmith! I mean obviously Beersmith is functionally superior, but the ease of use for Brew Pal combined with the excellent value made it better. I am more inclined to keep my iphone right next to me during the brew than my laptop. I love the built in timer, and I love being able to keep notes and track my gravity's etc.

I must say I was real close to buying beersmith, but thought for $.99 I'd try an iphone app first. Best decision I've made. Can't wait to see what the new version has in store!

Fermentation Chamber Project

Old 06-30-2009, 11:28 AM   #34
Heineken
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I use brewsmith software. Is this app a replacement for brewsmith or can they both be used together for different purposes. From the comments, it appears to be some overlap. However, I brew in my garage and don't have my PC handy so I need to keep going back and forth between PC and garage to update as I brew. Also, I do use my touch for timers and have used sparge pal. Does it do inventory and all the calculations that brewsmith performs?

Old 06-30-2009, 02:33 PM   #35
ohrinet
Recipes 

Some things...

first, the app is amazing. i just started brewing about 5 batches ago, did the first batch off of a friends recipe and have pretty much used the app to "create" a recipe for the last 4 batches, and have had very good luck. thanks for extract support, its really nice.

1. Did you remove Danstar Nottingham(and Windsor) from the lists of yeasts? I don't notice them listed anymore, and I was wondering why.

2. Push notifications for hop schedules. And maybe even custom reminders...outside of hop schedule, but more like reminder at 7 minutes before flame out to sanitize fermenter...just a thought...

Lastly, my recipes always turn up with what I think are much higher IBU's than other calculators. For example, I made a light citrus beer which on BrewPal came in at 48IBU, SNPA is 37, and it doesn't seem right. Regarding this though, it is important to have a relative understanding of IBUs, so I haven't had any problems, especially as I use it more, because I can just get a number that is where I want it to be relative to the light beer and the IPA that I've brewed. Has anyone else noticed this? And to the developer, please do not change your formula, and if you do, see if you can do a conversion for other recipes saved already. I fear as I start putting more recipes in, and you decide to change a formula, or some of the logic, that my recipes will no longer be relative any more.

I hope this makes sense, and thank you so much. BrewPal seriously makes it easy to get beyond "Beginner" stages of brewing.

drinking a chocolate porter

Old 06-30-2009, 03:03 PM   #36
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 424 Times on 345 Posts
Likes Given: 58

I thought of a couple of features I'd like to see.

1. Bottle priming calculator. Now I know there is some variation in publications on how much priming sugar/fermentables to add, but it would be awfully nice for those of us who bottle condition.

2. Add Volumes to Results. In the same way you track gravities. Mash volumes, start & end of boil, end of fermentation, etc. In fact, it would be really nice if I could enter the gravity and volume of my preboil wort coming out of the MLT and not have to go find a calculator to figure out if I'm on target, and also calculate my efficiency right then and there.

3. Display the Recipe Name. Maybe I've missed it somewhere, but the only place I see the recipe name is in the save/load screen, but that's not helpful once I've loaded a recipe, turned off my phone, and forgotten about it for a day or two. Then when I go back into Brew Pal and look I can't figure out which one I'm looking at.

4. Brew Log/Journal. What I mean is, rather than having just a random collection of recipes, I'd like to be able to track everything I might need to fill out a BJCP competition entry form. So for example, right now there really isn't a way I can find to go back to an earlier batch and figure out how long the boil was, what day I brewed, pitched, transferred to secondary, bottled, etc. For that matter, if I've brewed the same recipe multiple times there's no way to track all the little variations that occur between batches.

5. Fix the Timers. I don't currently use the timers page because it's not useful to track all the stuff you have to do throughout the brewing process. I know hops schedules have already been mentioned, but there's other stuff, too. Like, dropping in my chiller, adding spices, adding irish moss or whirlfloc, stirring in extract or other fermentables if I'm doing a late addition (I know this will affect the IBU calculations, though). Also, so far as I can tell, the timers are only adjustable via the settings, which doesn't let me account for variations due to my recipe. For example, I normally use a 60 minute boil, but use a 90 minute boil if I have a significant amount of Pilsner malt. Likewise the timer doesn't really help in a multi-step mash, even though I can enter the information and calculate the volumes on the mash tab.

Don't take the above as a list of complaints so much as constructive criticism. It is a law of nature that no matter how good something is, you can always come up with new ways that you'd like to improve it. I really love the app, and use it every time I brew.

Old 07-06-2009, 04:20 PM   #37
ohrinet
Recipes 

So I talked to a developer friend of mine and apparently push notifications for timers seems like an unnecessary pain to implement, unless you have (or want) to have your own server running all the time for them.

Anyway.

Thank you again.

drinking a chocolate porter

Old 07-07-2009, 02:03 AM   #38
HarkinBanks
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

This is one of the coolest looking apps I have downloaded ever, I can't wait to use it for a brewing session. I am on my trial version of Beersmith and have a strong feeling this app will do everything I need it to do. Huge kudos to Dave, this thing rocks. You could charge a LOT more and I would have paid it.

The app is pretty straight-forward, but a little tutorial would be welcome. Maybe there is one out there, I might have missed it. You might want to film one for Youtube Dave, nice free publicity, and would definitely get picked up by the homebrew crowd.

One last thing, is there any way you can make this app run on your mac while your iphone is connected or even stand-alone and then sync? That would be cool.

Keep up the great work!

6th Street Brewing Company

Last edited by HarkinBanks; 07-07-2009 at 02:10 AM.

Old 07-07-2009, 02:16 AM   #39
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 424 Times on 345 Posts
Likes Given: 58

So after doing a few recipes, it seems that BrewPal is not accurately predicting the colors of my final product. My Tripel recipe it shows up as 5.0L in BrewPal, but the same recipe in BeerSmith is estimated at 6.3L. Looking at the final product vs. test cards, BeerSmith is almost right on the money.

Same thing happened for a Wit I made a few weeks back. I thought it was a fluke, but looking back at all the beers I've done using BrewPal so far, it seems to consistently underestimate the SRM.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:15 PM   #40
bendavanza
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I am really liking the new version of the app, but did some yeasts disappear? I can't find nottingham or the fermentis Safale us-05?

Quick Reply